Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
YOU ARE EVERYTHING

When listening to the original Philly production, its such a home run there's no reason to release a remake as a single unless you are bringing something new and improved about it to the table , which I think [[imo) Motown fails to do, which is why they likely figured it would falter as a US cover song of such a masterful hit. It was however smart of Motown to release it to a market that didn't yet know the song because Marv and Diana do do a respectable turn at it , HOWEVER in listening , I would just as much prefer Marvin sing it his way and by himself , or Diana sing it by herself.... each putting out solo versions on their own albums.

Another case of there being no reason for this song to be a duet... this is a song of someone's lamenting cry of a lost love , its the punch of the song ...

On the Marv and Diana version , at first they intimately address each other one on one , then they carry on about being apart and not being together ...it don't make no sense...
are they together , or not!!! lol! [[if not ,why not?) I think some lyric adjustment was needed.

RE: The Stylistics version , one of the first hits using a synthesizer??

Added: The popularizing of this "new" song by the Motown duo and its strong #5 hit result is likely a good reason in part that the album itself did better in the UK. Or did somebody already say that ?? lol!
I love the Stylistics' version, with it's heart-rendingly melancholy intro, but find the Diana and Marvin version overdone and a bit obvious, especially the intro.

Your analysis of the contradiction within their version is excellent. I've never looked at it that way before, but it's so true.