[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I'd be wary of buying from this site. I think danman869 is correct; many of these are bootlegs of [[the German fellow's) bootlegs. His "Reflections" was a 2-disc set, as was his "Baby It's Me," unlike those offered here.

The "Funny Girl [[Expanded Edition)" appears to be a direct copy of his bootleg. That one was and also is presented here as a 2-disc set. The "Lady Sings the Blues" also looks like a direct copy of his bootleg, as does the "Soul Kiss" [[Lost and Found) album.

I'd be hesitant, though I'm tempted by the "Farewell" set. However, it is called an "expanded edition" in the ad, but not on the product itself, and to me it just looks like a direct copy of the "Captured Live on Stage" CD, and it also appears to be a single CD only. I don't notice any titles which aren't likely on the original LP and CD releases.

Also, take a look at the two box sets, "This is the Story" and "Let Yourself Go." How could he sell 3-CD sets for only $38? Even for a copy, that's pretty cheap for a 3-CD set. I'd really wonder about the quality, though I suppose if you don't have the music, it'd be very tempting as well.

Finally, the German guy's bootlegs of the concept albums all included both the Mono and Stereo versions of the albums [[except for the "Disney" which only was recorded in Stereo). This could be partial copies of his, but who knows they could also be "needle drops" from old vinyl also.

He also produced a "Mary Wilson" expanded edition of her solo Motown album. It included "Green River" and some of the other tracks which were never officially released, and [[I believe) still haven't.

I've never been a big fan of bootlegs, because they're usually inferior quality. What set Ben's [[the German guy) material apart was the care he put into the product, and the beautiful and very professional looking packaging which he created. It was obvious how much he loved the material. I know everyone feels differently about buying bootleg product, but I love the music too much to be able to wait hoping that someday Universal might decide to release more of this music.
    So these offerings are actually bootlegs of bootlegs? Whatever next?
    I heard this guy Ben was arrested and imprisoned yet his legacy continues thanks to Universal's reluctance to officially release the product.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    So these offerings are actually bootlegs of bootlegs? Whatever next?
    I heard this guy Ben was arrested and imprisoned yet his legacy continues thanks to Universal's reluctance to officially release the product.
    'Bootlegs of bootlegs' are not only not uncommon, but usually de facto. In your own country one Mr. Charles Dickens experienced enterprising printers obtaining copies of his monthly novel installments, hastily re-wrote them and published counterfeited copies under recognizable names such as "Davey Popperfield, by a London Gentleman". In turn these counterfeits would be reprinted and sold as if they were official. Here in the US live recordings of classical concerts were taped from radio then re-pressed under a series of 'editions', and starting in the 78 rpm days big band recordings faced the same procedure. Following that, when singers such as Bing Crosby and Peggy Lee [[etc) had frequent radio appearances these, too, were transcribed and re-transcribed and sold in record shops. Some say that the "big" era of bootlegging began with Bob Dylan's pre-"Basement Tapes" official releases on an unofficial lp label "Great White Wonder", which were then obtained by soldier-of-fortune Dylan fans and copied onto 8-track tapes. Indeed, not only is it rare for any bootleg to be from an original source, it is almost unheard of to be otherwise. This is why more forward-thinking bands [[The Dead, Pearl Jam, etc) decided years ago to process and produce CDs of every live performance. Have a great day; quiz on Friday.
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 02-17-2021 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    'Bootlegs of bootlegs' are not only not uncommon, but usually de facto. In your own country one Mr. Charles Dickens experienced enterprising printers obtaining copies of his monthly novel installments, hastily re-wrote them and published counterfeited copies under recognizable names such as "Davey Popperfield, by a London Gentleman". In turn these counterfeits would be reprinted and sold as if they were official. Here in the US live recordings of classical concerts were taped from radio then re-pressed under a series of 'editions', and starting in the 78 rpm days big band recordings faced the same procedure. Following that, when singers such as Bing Crosby and Peggy Lee [[etc) had frequent radio appearances these, too, were transcribed and re-transcribed and sold in record shops. Some say that the "big" era of bootlegging began with Bob Dylan's pre-"Basement Tapes" official releases on an unofficial lp label "Great White Wonder", which were then obtained by soldier-of-fortune Dylan fans and copied onto 8-track tapes. Indeed, not only is it rare for any bootleg to be from an original source, it is almost unheard of to be otherwise. This is why more forward-thinking bands [[The Dead, Pearl Jam, etc) decided years ago to process and produce CDs of every live performance. Have a great day; quiz on Friday.
    Thank you so much for your detailed and very interesting response!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Thank you so much for your detailed and very interesting response!
    You, my educated friend, are most welcome. There is more to the history of counterfeiting/bootlegging but, as you know, brevity is the soul of wit. In lieu of Friday's quiz you can ... I don't know - how about just remaining sane and interesting?!