[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    i think it's just a "maybe" as to whether Diana would have achieved a pop hit in the 90s. You mention Tina, Cher and Patti but all 3 of them, frankly, had stronger public images in that people like them and their personality. they hadn't had the damning PR backlash that Diana experienced. They also had a bit of underdog on their side.

having a hot producer is also just part of it. they would have had to come up with something really compelling to generate interest. simply having DR sing a Luther or Babyface song wouldn't have done it, IMO. that could have been written off like a Mom trying to be young.

I wonder if a stronger return to film and tv wouldn't have done it. she was wonderful in Out Of Darkness. perhaps another project like that. or a big hit film. something that might help share her for comedic and personable side. Darkness displayed her talent but you don't walk away from it thinking "diana is just like me - we could be best friends!" like you would with a great comedy or a more fun movie.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post

I wonder if a stronger return to film and tv wouldn't have done it. she was wonderful in Out Of Darkness. perhaps another project like that. or a big hit film. something that might help share her for comedic and personable side. Darkness displayed her talent but you don't walk away from it thinking "diana is just like me - we could be best friends!" like you would with a great comedy or a more fun movie.
    This is an interesting point.

As great an actor as Diana is, she hasn't really taken advantage of that area of her talent. Back in the 80s, Ron Miller said something like Diana could be a great actress if she really put in the work, did small jobs for little or no money, to learn her craft. Diana started at the sky with LADY and maintained the star role in every film project she did since.

By comparison, Cher moved to NYC, did some theater, films like JIMMY DEAN and SILKWOOD, where she didn't have the starring role. She kept growing, culminating with an Oscar for her role in MOONSTRUCK. After that, her recording career picked up again. Of course, her career has had her peaks and valleys since then. At one point, she was doing an informercial. But she always bounces back with a BELIEVE or MAMMA MIA.

I think Diana's devotion to her family probably made delving seriously into acting a lesser priority.
    Last edited by reese; 02-19-2021 at 03:04 PM.

in Call Her Miss Ross, Randy discusses the idea of Diana in Witches of Eastwick. i don't think he was implying that she was a candidate for a role but more around the point that she probably wouldn't consider a strong ensemble cast like that. one where the central story didn't focus on her. and you know with Susan Sarandon, Cher, Jack Nicholson you'd have a real challenge arranging billing.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    in Call Her Miss Ross, Randy discusses the idea of Diana in Witches of Eastwick. i don't think he was implying that she was a candidate for a role but more around the point that she probably wouldn't consider a strong ensemble cast like that. one where the central story didn't focus on her. and you know with Susan Sarandon, Cher, Jack Nicholson you'd have a real challenge arranging billing.
    Randy actually was referring to an interview with former Motown Productions producer Rob Cohen.

Cohen said that if he was able to convince Warner Bros. to cast Diana opposite Cher in THE WITCHES OF EASTWICK, he didn't think she would have done it because it was ensemble. So it sounds like Cohen might have really been interested in having Diana in the film. He went on to say that he read hundreds of scripts every year and Diana was always on his mind. But he didn't know what he could do with her because she was very rigid in what she would and would not do.

I remember Eddie Murphy saying something like he wanted Diana and Billy Dee to play his parents in COMING TO AMERICA. The roles eventually went to James Earl Jones and Madge Sinclair but it could have been cute with Diana and Billy Dee. A small, fun role with no pressure. Or even Diana and James Earl Jones reunited years after TARZAN. So many ideas...

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Randy actually was referring to an interview with former Motown Productions producer Rob Cohen.

Cohen said that if he was able to convince Warner Bros. to cast Diana opposite Cher in THE WITCHES OF EASTWICK, he didn't think she would have done it because it was ensemble. So it sounds like Cohen might have really been interested in having Diana in the film. He went on to say that he read hundreds of scripts every year and Diana was always on his mind. But he didn't know what he could do with her because she was very rigid in what she would and would not do.

I remember Eddie Murphy saying something like he wanted Diana and Billy Dee to play his parents in COMING TO AMERICA. The roles eventually went to James Earl Jones and Madge Sinclair but it could have been cute with Diana and Billy Dee. A small, fun role with no pressure. Or even Diana and James Earl Jones reunited years after TARZAN. So many ideas...
    yes that's the story! couldn't remember the details. and i don't know that, frankly, Diana was ever a consideration for Witches. but just an example

also during the 80s she was VERY busy with her family, different business ventures, trying to get the RCA stuff going and then Arne. gotta remember that even for a workhorse like Diana, there are still only 24 hours in a day. a movie takes so much time and commitment that it could be she thought "unless it's a perfect role, just not worth it." Maybe she really liked acting but if she had to choose, singing on a stage would be her top pick. so if something had to go it wouldn't be music and absolutely wasn't going to sacrifice any of her family life. so maybe movies just weren't possible