Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
It does seem that Diana Ross has phases of popularity in the US whereas in the UK she is enduringly popular. I have friends in their 20s and 30s who admire her work, from the early days to he most recent material. Diana is "just there" in the UK's musical thinking, along with the other Motown greats.

I think the admiration would have been further underpinned with the combination of Glastonbury and the UK tour. I'm sure the icing on her "UK cake" would have been new material, having said that, Diana has earned significant respect for all she has given us over the years.

Although I am no expert on such matters and have no wish to offend anyone, I do wonder if the key difference between the UK and the US is the what Diana represented. It is clear from what I have read that the Supremes demonstrated in the US how black women can be just as, and possibly more, successful than white women. As far as I am aware the Supremes were never seen that way in the UK. They were talented ladies who just happened to be black. A very different "starting point". Perhaps this accounts for the US phases of success verses the enduring success in the UK?
I’m quite sure the massive crossover success of the Supremes proved to be just as inspiring to black men and women resident here in the UK as they were in America.. That is one of the groups most enduring legacies.
UK audiences are generally known for their loyalty and unwavering support regarding veteran acts. We really are quite lovely.