[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Google doodles

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    16 September 2017
    Mexico National Day 2017

Happy National Day, Mexico!

Not far from the modern metropolis of Mexico City lies another important city—one that’s at least 1,300 years old. Today’s Doodle by guest artist Luis Pinto pays tribute to the ancient city Teotihuacan, constructed between the 1st and 7th centuries. Who actually built the ancient city remains a mystery.

Visitors to Teotihuacan stand in the shadows of the towering Pyramids of the Sun and Moon, and the detailed Temple of Quetzalcoatl. At night, a spectacular light and sound show brings the pyramid carvings to life in brilliant colors. You can also view the city from above in a hot air balloon; just keep an eye out for Quetzalcoatl, the “feathered serpent” responsible for the wind.

Many Mexicans today are descendants of its indigenous people, and the country is a rich mosaic of old and new. On September 16th, people of all ancestries come together to remember the famous Grito de Dolores, or “Cry of Dolores,” that set Mexico on the path to a united country for all.

¡Viva México!

16 September 2018
    Mexico Independence Day 2018

Today Mexico celebrates the independence movement that began with El Grito – a cry for freedom – in the village of Dolores, Guanajuato. In cities all over Mexico a full day of parties usually begins the night before, with citizens chanting in unison, “¡Viva México!”

Brass bands fill the streets, columns of willow and palm are set aflame, and fireworks light up the sky. Mexican food is central to the celebration—street vendors sell tamales while party foods like queso fundido are usually consumed at home. After a long night of partying, a hearty bowl of menudo soup is a fortifying and restorative meal.

Today’s Doodle shows a street vendor handing out Mexican flags, which are omnipresent on this day in public spaces and outside homes. Its colors feature in people’s outfits as well: green for independence, white for the Roman Catholic Church, and red for unity.

Happy National Day, Mexico!

Doodle by guest artist Rafael Mayani.

16 September 2016
    Mexico National Day 2016

From the greens of the ahuejote to the browns and golds of the axolotl, the canals of Xochimilco are known for their cast of colorful flora and fauna. None are quite so colorful as the trajineras, handpainted canoes that carry tourists all around the World Heritage Site via the canals.

These canals used to connect Xochimilco to the heart of Mexico City, where the trajineras were used to transport goods back and forth. Today, tourists floating in the these vibrant boats can flag down food vendors or listen to the upbeat melodies of mariachis while they enjoy the natural beauty around them.

Today’s Doodle depicts a trajinera of Xochimilco, a reminder of the colorful traditions that make Mexican culture so unique.

27 August 2018
    Sir Donald George 'The Don' Bradman’s 110th Birthday

A hero to Australian cricket fans, Sir Donald George Bradman, affectionately known as “The Don,” is considered the greatest batsman of all time. Born on this day in Cootamundra, New South Wales in 1908, Bradman developed his skills by hitting a golf ball off the curved base of a water tank, using a cricket stump, which is much narrower than a bat. The ball came back to him fast and at all angles. “I found I had to be pretty quick on my feet and keep my wits about me,” he said, “and in this way I developed, unconsciously, perhaps, sense of distance and pace.” Using his own unique grip and batting stance, he achieved a lifetime test batting average of 99.4, which many consider to be one of the greatest achievements by any athlete in a sport.

He made his debut in 1927 at 19 years old, in a first-class match between his New South Wales team and Adelaide, scoring a “century”—118 runs, to be exact—in his very first match. He was so talented and so consistent, he averaged at least one century every three innings over the course of his 21-year test match career. He amassed a total of 6,996 runs in 52 Test matches—making him a top contender for the title of best cricketer to ever step on a pitch. When Wisden Cricketers’ Almanack polled 100 former cricketers and journalists to determine the top cricketers of the 20th century, “The Don” was nominated by all 100.

Through the 1930s and 40s, Bradman set the world standard in the sport, scoring 309 runs in one often-cited game at Headingley Cricket Ground in England. After his retirement he remained a fixture in the cricket world as an administrator and commentator. Bradman was honored with a museum during his lifetime, called the “the greatest living Australian” by the Prime Minister, and knighted in 1949. Despite the accolades he earned, he remained a courteous and modest man.

Happy Birthday Sir Donald!

13 September 2015
    22nd anniversary of the official recognition of French traditional bread

It’s difficult to appreciate something as humble as a loaf of bread--the transformative powers of yeast, the unequivocal and even legal necessity of proper kneading--without having tried to bake one yourself. So while artist Matt Cruickshank sketched today’s Doodle, we tried. A lot.

There's nothing quite like freshly baked bread. Its magic transcends the sum of its parts: the crunch of the crust, the spring of the crumb; the way its scent suffuses the air with warmth.

I've baked sporadically since I first tried the bread recipe in a cookbook my aunt gave me when I was a child, and my love of bread and baking was nurtured by my father's delicious weekend breads. When I joined the doodle team last year, I hadn't baked in a while, but in short order discovered that several of my teammates were active bakers. There were often fresh baked treats passed around at our Tuesday morning brainstorming sessions, and, my interest rekindled, I began taking to the oven regularly.

After several months, I had yet to attempt the true test of a baker's skill: the baguette. I went to work, researching recipes and techniques, poring over pictures, visiting local bakeries, and trying my hand every weekend. I baked baguettes until I had no room left to store them.

The perfect baguette--if it exists--is elusive, and the French bakers capable of producing anything close are true artisans. To celebrate the French government’s 1993 décret pain, we offer a look into our enthusiastic, sometimes moderately successful, often mutated attempts at proper French bread.

Jonathan Shneier, Doodle Engineer and Baker in Residence

17 September 2016
    Irena Kwiatkowska’s 104th birthday

Beloved Polish actress Irena Kwiatkowska was born today in 1912. A household name in Poland, Kwiatkowska was celebrated for her work in cabaret, comedy, film, theater, radio, and television. She is best known for the television character "Working Woman," who did many different [and often wacky] jobs, to great humorous effect.

When Kwiatkowska was born, Poland was part of the Russian Empire. She witnessed dramatic changes in Poland's culture and politics during her lifetime. Whether she was advocating for Polish independence, teaching at the Warsaw Theatre Academy, performing a comedic monologue, or singing in a movie musical, Irena Kwiatkowska sought the best for her country -- and brought her best to her audiences

27 Apr 2017
    Celebrating Freedom Day and Enoch Sontonga

Today South Africans celebrate Freedom Day! The first post-apartheid elections were held on this date in 1994, and each year this important event is remembered with a public holiday.

Today's Doodle also honors choirmaster, poet, and composer Enoch Sontonga, who wrote the first version of Africa’s democratic national anthem, “Nkosi Sikelel’ iAfrika” [“God Bless Africa”], in 1897. Over the years, the song developed and gained popularity, even making it to a London recording studio in 1923. It later merged with the country’s other anthem, “Die Stem” [“The Call of South Africa”].

23 Apr 2014
    Pixinguinha's 117th Birthday [born 1897]

Alfredo da Rocha Viana Filho, known as Pixinguinha [April 23, 1897 – February 17, 1973 was a Brazilian composer, arranger, flautist and saxophonist born in Rio de Janeiro. Pixinguinha is considered one of the greatest Brazilian composers of popular music, particularly within the genre of music known as choro. By integrating the music of the older choro composers of the 19th century with contemporary jazz-like harmonies, Afro-Brazilian rhythms, and sophisticated arrangements, he introduced choro to a new audience and helped to popularize it as a uniquely Brazilian genre. He was also one of the first Brazilian musicians and composers to take advantage of the new professional opportunities offered to musicians by the new technologies of radio broadcasting and studio recording. Pixinguinha composed dozens of choros, including some of the best-known works in the genre such as "Carinhoso", "Glória", "Lamento" and "Um a Zero".

23 April 2011
    120th of Birthday of Sergei Prokofiev

Sergei Prokofiev's brilliant compositions are numerous and varied, but Peter and the Wolf is definitely the most evocative and delightful. I listened to many adaptations of this famous work, including editions read by Sting, David Bowie, and Basil Rathbone. I also watched the 2006 Oscar-winning stop-motion animated film, which inspired me as well.

I wanted to use a visual treatment that evoked folk art and childrens' books, so I worked in a color separation style with a limited palette. Since Peter and the Wolf has such a clear and direct narrative arc, I decided to collaborate with engineer Kris Hom to create a four-image scrolling doodle that covers the entire story of Peter and the Wolf, from Peter's first foray into the forbidden field outside his house, to the eventual parade through the town when the wolf is captured. The scrolling aspect evokes the seamless transition between the different segments of the musical composition. I hope this doodle is as fun to read as it was to make!

posted by Sophia Foster-Dimino

Last edited by 9A; 06-27-2021 at 05:18 PM.

26 Apr 2018
    Fanny Blankers-Koen’s 100th Birthday

On a rainy summer day in 1948, onlookers at London’s Wembley track saw an unexpected athlete make history. Dutch runner and 30-year-old mother of two Fanny Blankers-Koen outstrided her opponents in the women’s 200m by 0.7 seconds—the highest margin in Olympics 200m history and a record that still stands today.

Born near Baarn, the Netherlands, in 1918, Blankers-Koen had set a national record for the women’s 800m by age 17. At 18, she competed in the 1936 Olympics in Berlin, placing fifth in the 4x100m and sixth in high jump.

After the 1940 and 1944 Olympics were canceled, many thought Blankers-Koen would never make another Olympics. When she declared her intentions to compete in the 1948 London Games, she received letters from many criticizing her for continuing to race despite being a mother and insisting she stay home.

But words couldn’t break Blankers-Koen’s stride. She captured four golds during the 1948 London Games, winning the 100m, 80m hurdles, 200m, and 4x100m relay to become the first woman to win four medals in a single Olympics. Her quick feet didn’t just set records. Blankers-Koen’s accomplishments flattened stereotypes of female athletes at the time, earning her the nickname “The Flying Housewife.”

Today, we celebrate what would’ve been her 100th birthday with a Doodle that imagines her racing down the track, smiling mid-stride.

Happy birthday, Fanny!