[REMOVE ADS]




Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 51 to 87 of 87
  1. #51
    So many happy memories with Mary, from spending a few days with her on her tour bus during one Uk tour , to being backstage with her [[and Martha) just after sheíd agreed to do RTL [[before it fell apart)/

    always seemed happy to see me and spend time chatting .
    Attached Images Attached Images    

  2. #52
    I'm pleasantly surprised to see that there are lots of news reports covering Mary's passing and also happy to see these personal memories.

    I bet Mary would have been pleased! The Supremes really did make their mark and really did create a lasting legacy - for very many people, Oprah's words "I wanna be like that!" obviously rang loud and clear.

    I noticed Mary is also "trending" on CNN.

  3. #53
    I am heartbroken Mary the matriarch of the supremes has lo left us. Who will watch the legend now

  4. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    I was so fortunate to have met Mary so many times. She was alway happy to see me and gave me much time whenever circumstances permitted. Sheíll be missed in so many ways by so many folks, myself not least among them.
    Alan, my condolences and love to you, and to all of us. I remember you sharing this great photo of you two, some years ago. I made so many supreme friends through her, many of whom I am seeing in this tribute thread. It has been such a sad and difficult day, but her love and music lives on forever. Posting my tribute to her in another post, momentarily...

  5. #55
    It is with a heavy heart that I am remembering Motown legend and original Supreme, Ms Mary Wilson, who passed away last night at the age of 76. Being a fan of The Supremes was a divinely-given journey for me, which started when I was four years old. In the year 2000, I emailed Mary using the contact email address on her official website, and stated I was an 11 year old Canadian boy who was a big Supremes fan. To my shock and excitement, she wrote back and said, "Wow! Are you sure you are 11 years old? You sound like one of my older fans!" She kindly arranged to have a personalized autographed photo sent to me in the mail, which I immediately framed and cherished. I eventually met her for the first time, after a concert of hers in January 2005, when I was 15 years old.

    Fast forward several years later, another fan told Mary about my own Supremes fan website and she approached me with the opportunity to take over managing her official website, which I did for a few years until I resigned when I moved to Toronto. As her webmaster, I had the blessed opportunity to connect with her regularly on the phone and in person. It really was an adventurous dream come true and I learned a lot from that experience with her. I will never forget her encouragement and wisdom. At one point, I was nervously on the brink of coming out to my parents. She encouraged me and said, "You need to live your truth. From what I know, your parents are loving people and will love you unconditionally." She was right. She and I continued to keep in touch and I would see her whenever she came to do a show in the area.

    My memories with Mary have been so special, but she was also a friend to countless fans all over the world. To hear the news of her passing is sad and devastating for all of us who love her, but we also celebrate her, because for her, life was a supreme celebration. She moved through life with so much love, gratitude and authenticity. For me, she was a supreme role model who lit up my path through life, when I needed it most. She will never be forgotten.

    Name:  148496051_10158058287645875_3504808410289224003_o.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  89.2 KB

  6. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    It is with a heavy heart that I am remembering Motown legend and original Supreme, Ms Mary Wilson, who passed away last night at the age of 76. Being a fan of The Supremes was a divinely-given journey for me, which started when I was four years old. In the year 2000, I emailed Mary using the contact email address on her official website, and stated I was an 11 year old Canadian boy who was a big Supremes fan. To my shock and excitement, she wrote back and said, "Wow! Are you sure you are 11 years old? You sound like one of my older fans!" She kindly arranged to have a personalized autographed photo sent to me in the mail, which I immediately framed and cherished. I eventually met her for the first time, after a concert of hers in January 2005, when I was 15 years old.

    Fast forward several years later, another fan told Mary about my own Supremes fan website and she approached me with the opportunity to take over managing her official website, which I did for a few years until I resigned when I moved to Toronto. As her webmaster, I had the blessed opportunity to connect with her regularly on the phone and in person. It really was an adventurous dream come true and I learned a lot from that experience with her. I will never forget her encouragement and wisdom. At one point, I was nervously on the brink of coming out to my parents. She encouraged me and said, "You need to live your truth. From what I know, your parents are loving people and will love you unconditionally." She was right. She and I continued to keep in touch and I would see her whenever she came to do a show in the area.

    My memories with Mary have been so special, but she was also a friend to countless fans all over the world. To hear the news of her passing is sad and devastating for all of us who love her, but we also celebrate her, because for her, life was a supreme celebration. She moved through life with so much love, gratitude and authenticity. For me, she was a supreme role model who lit up my path through life, when I needed it most. She will never be forgotten.

    Name:  148496051_10158058287645875_3504808410289224003_o.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  89.2 KB
    those are truly wonderful photos Carlo..

  7. #57
    Carlo what a beautiful tribute.

    Also I'm seeing now that essentially hypertension is what the cause was for Mary's passing.

  8. #58

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,041
    Carlos, you are a very handsome man.

  10. #60
    Nomis, floyjoy and Circa...thank you. Hugs to you all.

  11. #61
    @carlo and others,

    what great photos and what wonderful memories to share with us. Honestly this helps a little bit. I never got to meet the lady though like Carlo, I did communicate with her a few times and she always responded like a true star, making her fans feel very important and remembered. When I was in law school I wrote my law review article about the practice of using “imposters“ in the legacy musical groups such as the Drifters, the Marvelettes, and others. I wrote to Mary and she expressed interest in the article which I then sent to her. She responded with a beautiful autographed photo which I still have to this day.


    And Carlo, it’s so fantastic that you are so young and became such a big fan of music that was recorded years and years before you were born. You must be what they call an old soul!

  12. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    It is with a heavy heart that I am remembering Motown legend and original Supreme, Ms Mary Wilson, who passed away last night at the age of 76. Being a fan of The Supremes was a divinely-given journey for me, which started when I was four years old. In the year 2000, I emailed Mary using the contact email address on her official website, and stated I was an 11 year old Canadian boy who was a big Supremes fan. To my shock and excitement, she wrote back and said, "Wow! Are you sure you are 11 years old? You sound like one of my older fans!" She kindly arranged to have a personalized autographed photo sent to me in the mail, which I immediately framed and cherished. I eventually met her for the first time, after a concert of hers in January 2005, when I was 15 years old.

    Fast forward several years later, another fan told Mary about my own Supremes fan website and she approached me with the opportunity to take over managing her official website, which I did for a few years until I resigned when I moved to Toronto. As her webmaster, I had the blessed opportunity to connect with her regularly on the phone and in person. It really was an adventurous dream come true and I learned a lot from that experience with her. I will never forget her encouragement and wisdom. At one point, I was nervously on the brink of coming out to my parents. She encouraged me and said, "You need to live your truth. From what I know, your parents are loving people and will love you unconditionally." She was right. She and I continued to keep in touch and I would see her whenever she came to do a show in the area.

    My memories with Mary have been so special, but she was also a friend to countless fans all over the world. To hear the news of her passing is sad and devastating for all of us who love her, but we also celebrate her, because for her, life was a supreme celebration. She moved through life with so much love, gratitude and authenticity. For me, she was a supreme role model who lit up my path through life, when I needed it most. She will never be forgotten.

    Name:  148496051_10158058287645875_3504808410289224003_o.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  89.2 KB
    That is such a beautiful, heartfelt tribute Carlo.
    I have little doubt Mary would have been delighted by the numerous tributes to her life and legacy in here and on other sites.
    I am sure she has been reunited in heaven with her beloved son. May they both rest in eternal peace under the protection of the Almighty God.

  13. #63
    Heartbroken. Devastated. I can't even begin to wrap my head around Mary's unexpected passing.

    My love affair started back in 1986 with the release of "Dreamgirl". I was just 13 years old. When I started performing in 1995, I took the stage name "Mary Brewster" as a homage to my favorite lady; my SHE-ro.

    Over the years I'd met Mary, exchanged emails, chatted on the phone. What other legend; icon was so reachable?

    My crossing paths with Mary allowed me to cross paths with fans and friends across the globe. I'm forever grateful. Simply, for 35 years, she's made my life SUPREME.

  14. #64
    I'm very appreciative of the stories; it makes everyone seem so much more human than email posts can ever convey.

    To think that Mary was the subject of such intense posts! She must have loved "some of it".

  15. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I'm very appreciative of the stories; it makes everyone seem so much more human than email posts can ever convey.

    To think that Mary was the subject of such intense posts! She must have loved "some of it".
    Do you think Mary read any of the posts about her? I thought most of the actual people who we write about knew better than join the crazies!!!

  16. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Mary reported in her youtube ch her solo lp 1979 is being released with bonus for her b day
    I do hope they still plan to release it. It would truly be fitting.

    Btw, love all the personal pics and stories of Mary. Thank you all for sharing.

  17. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Do you think Mary read any of the posts about her? I thought most of the actual people who we write about knew better than join the crazies!!!
    That's a hard question and it might be personal. I suspect that people like Madonna, Beyonce, Whitney and Diana at their peaks might be counselled to stay away from looking - because lots of crazies write lots of crazy things. But I suspect that late at night, they might all take a quick peak.

    And I think if you are not quite that famous, there might be more inclination to look more often and I think the posts likely are not quite as malicious.

    But I don't think the people we write about would ever want to "join" the crazies. But they might have the odd snicker and laugh - that 60 years after the fact people think it's worthy to write that their celebrity has gained a few pounds, sang off key, used incorrect grammar, wore crappy clothes or whatever. I hope Mary laughed at it once in a while.

  18. #68
    I read that they are planning on a celebration for her life. Do you guys think that will be out in Nevada or Detroit? I'm on the east coast in the Philly area. I'd love to attend the celebration if its in Detroit. Or maybe even set something up later in the year for the fans on the east coast. I'm still having a hard time accepting Mary's gone. It just doesn't seem real. It feels like The Supremes as a whole died with her. I can't explain it completely.

  19. #69
    Thank you Kenneth, Bluebrock and all. Continue sharing these precious memories. I'm finding some comfort in seeing our fan community come together to share these moments and memories.

  20. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    I read that they are planning on a celebration for her life. Do you guys think that will be out in Nevada or Detroit? I'm on the east coast in the Philly area. I'd love to attend the celebration if its in Detroit. Or maybe even set something up later in the year for the fans on the east coast. I'm still having a hard time accepting Mary's gone. It just doesn't seem real. It feels like The Supremes as a whole died with her. I can't explain it completely.
    That's a good question...as I originally thought maybe it would be held in Vegas but Detroit could be likely too. I would love to attend, if international travel is safe by then.

    I feel the same as you. I didn't expect her passing to happen as soon as it did. So very unexpected. I also feel similar to you...a huge piece of the Supremes legacy is gone. She carried that bright torch for decades and kept her promise to Flo, which was that she would take care of it. Now we can just look back and remember. I'm watching one of her live concert DVD's, filmed in '95 at the Sands Hotel. I think it may also be on YouTube. I'm finding comfort in playing her music and watching her videos. She left us a life-changing treasure trove of history. That's for sure. I'm also thankful that she was able to release her Supreme Glamour book in 2019. So many legends have come and gone without having been able to tell their life story in their own words. I'm glad she was able to do that many times, and she made her legacy known. She truly lived her life to the fullest and that's worth celebrating.

  21. #71
    Mary Wilson's passing has been extremely difficult for me. I have not been to this Forum since the news hit me so unexpectedly. The first record I ever bought was Up The Ladder To The Roof. Seeing Mary so beautiful on the Right On album cover I thought she had to be the one singing the song. Later, when I heard her sing, I was hooked for life. Her beauty and her voice was like a warm sensual caress. She was my favorite singer and Supreme. Through her, I have met other fans who I consider friends. Through her, I have discovered the other Supremes and enjoy and follow their talents. Through her, I have found the other Motown acts who I also enjoy and follow as well as her background vocalists now Parnell and Lucy. Through her, I also found a beautiful human being who had boundless optimism and saw life as something that has ups and downs but that we must always forge ahead to the new adventure. Mary was even doing that with her last video just before she passed away. She never gave up because she saw life as something that had to be LIVED. Her legacy besides the Supremes is her generosity of spirit, her positive attitude towards life and her truly kind and warm embrace of her fans. Losing her has been like losing a dear, dear friend. I wish I could tell her one last time how much she meant to me and so many others. We need to, as fans, to continue to raise the Supreme Legacy so that it not only endures but continues to flourish.

  22. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    It is with a heavy heart that I am remembering Motown legend and original Supreme, Ms Mary Wilson, who passed away last night at the age of 76. Being a fan of The Supremes was a divinely-given journey for me, which started when I was four years old. In the year 2000, I emailed Mary using the contact email address on her official website, and stated I was an 11 year old Canadian boy who was a big Supremes fan. To my shock and excitement, she wrote back and said, "Wow! Are you sure you are 11 years old? You sound like one of my older fans!" She kindly arranged to have a personalized autographed photo sent to me in the mail, which I immediately framed and cherished. I eventually met her for the first time, after a concert of hers in January 2005, when I was 15 years old.

    Fast forward several years later, another fan told Mary about my own Supremes fan website and she approached me with the opportunity to take over managing her official website, which I did for a few years until I resigned when I moved to Toronto. As her webmaster, I had the blessed opportunity to connect with her regularly on the phone and in person. It really was an adventurous dream come true and I learned a lot from that experience with her. I will never forget her encouragement and wisdom. At one point, I was nervously on the brink of coming out to my parents. She encouraged me and said, "You need to live your truth. From what I know, your parents are loving people and will love you unconditionally." She was right. She and I continued to keep in touch and I would see her whenever she came to do a show in the area.

    My memories with Mary have been so special, but she was also a friend to countless fans all over the world. To hear the news of her passing is sad and devastating for all of us who love her, but we also celebrate her, because for her, life was a supreme celebration. She moved through life with so much love, gratitude and authenticity. For me, she was a supreme role model who lit up my path through life, when I needed it most. She will never be forgotten.

    Name:  148496051_10158058287645875_3504808410289224003_o.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  89.2 KB
    Carlo, thanks so much for sharing. Beautiful pictures.
    Iím so very sad. RIP Mary🙏❤️

  23. #73
    TV
    Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    Mary Wilson's passing has been extremely difficult for me. I have not been to this Forum since the news hit me so unexpectedly. The first record I ever bought was Up The Ladder To The Roof. Seeing Mary so beautiful on the Right On album cover I thought she had to be the one singing the song. Later, when I heard her sing, I was hooked for life. Her beauty and her voice was like a warm sensual caress. She was my favorite singer and Supreme. Through her, I have met other fans who I consider friends. Through her, I have discovered the other Supremes and enjoy and follow their talents. Through her, I have found the other Motown acts who I also enjoy and follow as well as her background vocalists now Parnell and Lucy. Through her, I also found a beautiful human being who had boundless optimism and saw life as something that has ups and downs but that we must always forge ahead to the new adventure. Mary was even doing that with her last video just before she passed away. She never gave up because she saw life as something that had to be LIVED. Her legacy besides the Supremes is her generosity of spirit, her positive attitude towards life and her truly kind and warm embrace of her fans. Losing her has been like losing a dear, dear friend. I wish I could tell her one last time how much she meant to me and so many others. We need to, as fans, to continue to raise the Supreme Legacy so that it not only endures but continues to flourish.
    Another very heartfelt tribute

    Maybe this can help to continue the legacy and help to let go some of the division

  24. #74
    Itís been heartwarming and encouraging to read such loving stories. Mary was such a caring and inspiring individual that her legacy will continue to live on. Even today I still canít quite believe she has gone.
    I do wish there had been more of these kind of posts over the years. New threads on Mary were usually either mostly ignored or used by Ross fanatics to take a pop at her.
    Perhaps with her passing, all the division that exists within the Supremes camp can finally be laid to rest and we can turn to celebrating the incredible legacy of the music left behind
    Gone but never forgotten. Mary we will miss you.

  25. #75
    Thanks everyone for sharing their stories and pictures! It's shocking she suddenly had to leave this world, but I'm glad she didn't have to go through some long, drawn out suffering. She was positive till the very end and excited about the future, you can see it in her final video posted on YouTube. Her light will shine on in our hearts forever!

  26. #76
    Carlo, Thank you so much for sharing your reflections and the photos.

  27. #77
    Thank you mwmr for sharing this!

  28. #78
    More pictures and memories if possible.

  29. #79
    I was 17yrs old and had been a Motown fan from the age of 12 since getting into the Northern Soul scene here in England so you imagine how excited I was when it was announced that Mary Wilson was to appear at my local nightclub [[about a ten minute walk from my house)...not for one minute did I think I would get to meet her personally so I never took anything memorabilia wise...after the fantastic performance I just happened to see where Mary went behind a curtain...I said to the folks I was with that I was going to see if I could meet her..anyway I looked behind the curtain and there was a very large man standing there in front of another curtain..he asked what I was looking for and I asked politely if there was any chance of meeting Mary to which be basically told me to get lost...as I walked away thinking its ok for him he's met one of my idols I heard a female voice shout out "hey honey"..O..M..G it was Mary calling me...I just stood there like a rabbit caught in headlight's and Mary beckoned me towards her..she took my hand and led me behind the second curtain [[which was hiding their dressing room/green room)..she was talking to me all the time she was leading me there but to this day I cannot remember a word she said at that moment I was in complete shock..anyway She made me feel so relaxed [[but she found it very funny how stunned I was lol) and we sat and chatted for at least half an hour about The Supremes ,Motown 25 etc...I asked if I could kiss her she laughed and said sure so I did..we chatted a little more and then it was time for me to go ...she kissed me and ruffled my hair and called me a doll and then gave me her autograph on a piece of paper she asked the big guy to get her..I must have floated home on a cloud that evening..Mary made ME feel special that night and that memory will live with me as long as I live...we have lost one very special LADY.

  30. #80
    @mowsville,

    What a great experience! Truly classy people always make you feel like you’re the most important person in the world to them at that moment, but in your case she actually made you the most important person! What a great story.

  31. #81
    Terrible news

    I had just watched Motown 25 recently when Mary killed in that red dress

  32. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    @mowsville,

    What a great experience! Truly classy people always make you feel like you’re the most important person in the world to them at that moment, but in your case she actually made you the most important person! What a great story.
    Agree @mowsville great story to read

  33. #83
    @mowsville I love your story! It's always worth taking a shot and your shot paid off! It reminded me, I finally saw Diana Ross almost a year ago. It was the last time I experienced being in a huge crowd before the pandemic had us isolating from one another. After the show was over, we tried walking around outside the back of the theater, in hopes of somehow bumping into her. LOL! Well, there was security guarding the area and eventually someone let us know that she immediately left as soon as the show was over. But the fun part was we got to meet a fellow fan who was visiting all the way from New Zealand and he somehow got her setlist and was hoping she would sign it.

  34. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttered Popcorn and so forth View Post
    @mowsville I love your story! It's always worth taking a shot and your shot paid off! It reminded me, I finally saw Diana Ross almost a year ago. It was the last time I experienced being in a huge crowd before the pandemic had us isolating from one another. After the show was over, we tried walking around outside the back of the theater, in hopes of somehow bumping into her. LOL! Well, there was security guarding the area and eventually someone let us know that she immediately left as soon as the show was over. But the fun part was we got to meet a fellow fan who was visiting all the way from New Zealand and he somehow got her setlist and was hoping she would sign it.
    She usually leaves the theatre within 30 seconds of the encore finishing. It was always a very slick operation bundling her into the awaiting vehicle situated outside a discreet exit door.

  35. #85

  36. #86
    Eerily just days before Mary passed, the Ed Sullivan YouTube channel uploaded the girls last appearance on there singing "Someday We'll Be Together".

  37. #87

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.