[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The first three tracks of side one used to get the most play in my younger days. In my opinion, this was the last of their hot streak beginning with the We are family album. Never quite the same afterwards but I'm still spinning them forty years on. These ladies had quite an impact on my musical life.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    The first three tracks of side one used to get the most play in my younger days. In my opinion, this was the last of their hot streak beginning with the We are family album. Never quite the same afterwards but I'm still spinning them forty years on. These ladies had quite an impact on my musical life.
    I have to agree with you, though "The Sisters" and "Betcha Say That To All The Girls" had some moments they never captured the magic of the two Chic produced albums and this one. Their reunion with Nile Rodgers producing didn't do much either. By that time he was so in demand producing the likes of David Bowie, Madonna and other A listers that I believe he gave them the bottom of the barrel. It's interesting, he often boasts of We Are Family putting them on the top and making them a household name but ironically, he also produced the album that pretty much halted their career.

I have to agree with you, though "The Sisters" and "Betcha Say That To All The Girls" had some moments they never captured the magic of the two Chic produced albums and this one. Their reunion with Nile Rodgers producing didn't do much either. By that time he was so in demand producing the likes of David Bowie, Madonna and other A listers that I believe he gave them the bottom of the barrel. It's interesting, he often boasts of We Are Family putting them on the top and making them a household name but ironically, he also produced the album that pretty much halted their career.
    Theit music has also been a great part of my life for 40 plus years.

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    Theit music has also been a great part of my life for 40 plus years.
    I was lucky enough to see them in my home town in 85. I never thought I'd catch them live and it was a brilliant evening. Part way through, they introduced their new single "Frankie". Inoffensive enough but not going to get them back into the charts. A few weeks later, what I still consider their worst ever single was number 1 in the UK and remained there 4 weeks later. When the album came out, it didn't really get much better. Played it a few times, but the vinyl pretty much remained on the shelf.
    When the box set came out last year, I still shelled out despite having most of the material. I'd totally forgotten that Nile had worked on the final Atlantic release. Time has moved on and I was a bit more forgiving on listening for the first time in some 35 years. I have to agree with you though, it didn't cut it back then and still feels like collection of b sides. Still my favourite girl group though.

I was lucky enough to see them in my home town in 85. I never thought I'd catch them live and it was a brilliant evening. Part way through, they introduced their new single "Frankie". Inoffensive enough but not going to get them back into the charts. A few weeks later, what I still consider their worst ever single was number 1 in the UK and remained there 4 weeks later. When the album came out, it didn't really get much better. Played it a few times, but the vinyl pretty much remained on the shelf.
    When the box set came out last year, I still shelled out despite having most of the material. I'd totally forgotten that Nile had worked on the final Atlantic release. Time has moved on and I was a bit more forgiving on listening for the first time in some 35 years. I have to agree with you though, it didn't cut it back then and still feels like collection of b sides. Still my favourite girl group though.

Wow a four week #1 ...peaked at #75 stateside.

never heard it before , thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post

To be honest, 75 was about where I expected to get to over here. Far from their finest but I'm happy if this thread has introduced you to a new track. And how good does Joni look in that video??? Sadly missed.

To be honest, 75 was about where I expected to get to over here. Far from their finest but I'm happy if this thread has introduced you to a new track. And how good does Joni look in that video??? Sadly missed.
    I fell hopelessly in love with Joni in the early 80's. She was a gorgeous and sexy lady. May she r.i.p.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post

Interesting thing was that song and album were a huge success in several different countries and completely bombed here in the states. They said that they were busy promoting overseas and when they returned to the states people were asking when were they going to release new music. They had to tell the people that we actually have a new album out. It tanked here in the US. Nile Rodgers never talks about this album but I would love to get his take on it.

Back in 2014 I had the opportunity to have lunch with Joni & Debbie Sledge [[still one of the greatest moments of my life). WE talked about everything from cooking, growing up, traveling and of course music. Joni talked about Frankie and how the writer of the song was married to a billionaire who promised to help promote the album if they recorded one of the songs. They were through a bag of cassettes and that was the one song that Nile thought that he could do something with. She said they were shocked when it went to #1 in the UK and a few other countries and that they hated the video. Regarding "All American Girls", she didn't specify but it sounds as if they weren't exactly crazy about working with Narada. It seems as if he didn't respect them as co-producers.

Back in 2014 I had the opportunity to have lunch with Joni & Debbie Sledge [[still one of the greatest moments of my life). WE talked about everything from cooking, growing up, traveling and of course music. Joni talked about Frankie and how the writer of the song was married to a billionaire who promised to help promote the album if they recorded one of the songs. They were through a bag of cassettes and that was the one song that Nile thought that he could do something with. She said they were shocked when it went to #1 in the UK and a few other countries and that they hated the video. Regarding "All American Girls", she didn't specify but it sounds as if they weren't exactly crazy about working with Narada. It seems as if he didn't respect them as co-producers.

Danno, you should check out this facebook group Sister Sledge; Legacy of Love. There's some really great music and video content on there and Kim and Debbie are on there from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    Danno, you should check out this facebook group Sister Sledge; Legacy of Love. There's some really great music and video content on there and Kim and Debbie are on there from time to time.
    Thanks for that, I've added to my favourites. Some very nice photos on first look. I'm going to check the videos/music at my leisure.