[REMOVE ADS]

James Bond: The Bond Girl Diana Ross Almost Played [[& Why She Wasn't Cast)

James Bond was almost paired with legendary singer Diana Ross on-screen, but the actor was recast in 1973’s Live and Let Die....

The producers were in touch with Diana to play the role of this more humorously toned James Bond’s love interest Solitaire. However, during production, the creator’s fears of racial tensions led them to recast Solitaire as a white woman [[Jane Seymour), and instead turned Bond’s traitorous CIA informant into a Black woman....

It’s an unfortunate decision that reflects a lack of daring among the producers,...

Unfortunately, the regrettable decisions surrounding Live and Let Die’s lack of diversity don’t end there...The movie’s creators also missed out on involving another R&B legend in the production when they contacted Paul McCartney. Before the producers opted to have the movie’s title track go to McCartney’s band Wings, it was originally written for Shirley Bassey. While the Wings track is a classic rock radio staple, it’s hard to hear the James Bond theme song without wondering how Bassey’s version could have sounded if the 007 producers had been a bit more daring and a little less conservative about the James Bond franchise at a divided time in cinema history.

link to full article
    https://screenrant.com/live-and-let-...irl-explained/

After reading that article, I understand the diversity angle but Diana Ross had just come off of her superb film debut in Lady Sings The Blues. She got an Oscar Nomination. She was brilliant in it. I think Diana and Motown were very cautious in 1973-4 for her follow up. I am not sure if Mahogany was the 100% right follow up but perhaps they felt playing a "Bond Girl" wasn't the right follow up, either. Plus they stated that Dreamgirls was a highly fictionalized Diana Ross biography. So, not sure if the article has everything 100% correct. I think Diana Ross was a very hot property after Lady, there were probably many, many offers.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    After reading that article, I understand the diversity angle but Diana Ross had just come off of her superb film debut in Lady Sings The Blues. She got an Oscar Nomination. She was brilliant in it. I think Diana and Motown were very cautious in 1973-4 for her follow up. I am not sure if Mahogany was the 100% right follow up but perhaps they felt playing a "Bond Girl" wasn't the right follow up, either. Plus they stated that Dreamgirls was a highly fictionalized Diana Ross biography. So, not sure if the article has everything 100% correct. I think Diana Ross was a very hot property after Lady, there were probably many, many offers.
    From reading CALL HER MISS ROSS, it seems there quite a few offers or at least possibilities for Diana after LADY SINGS THE BLUES, including a remake of SABRINA with LADY's producer Jay Weston. But Berry didn't want to work with outside producers.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    James Bond was almost paired with legendary singer Diana Ross on-screen, but the actor was recast in 1973’s Live and Let Die....

The producers were in touch with Diana to play the role of this more humorously toned James Bond’s love interest Solitaire. However, during production, the creator’s fears of racial tensions led them to recast Solitaire as a white woman [[Jane Seymour), and instead turned Bond’s traitorous CIA informant into a Black woman....

It’s an unfortunate decision that reflects a lack of daring among the producers,...

Unfortunately, the regrettable decisions surrounding Live and Let Die’s lack of diversity don’t end there...The movie’s creators also missed out on involving another R&B legend in the production when they contacted Paul McCartney. Before the producers opted to have the movie’s title track go to McCartney’s band Wings, it was originally written for Shirley Bassey. While the Wings track is a classic rock radio staple, it’s hard to hear the James Bond theme song without wondering how Bassey’s version could have sounded if the 007 producers had been a bit more daring and a little less conservative about the James Bond franchise at a divided time in cinema history.

link to full article
    https://screenrant.com/live-and-let-...irl-explained/
    I had no idea “Live And Let Die” was written with Bassey in mind. I think she would have done a brilliant job. I always thought “No Good About Goodbye” would have made for another brilliant Bassey Bond theme.
    Diana playing opposite Sean Connery would have been rather nice, Rodger Moore Nah!!. It’s rather sad that a fear of racial tension brought about a change of heart as regards casting. This at a time when such barriers were being broken down.

I can't imagine Diana [[or Berry) saying yes to being a Bond Girl. After Lady, she would have only entertained offers for lead roles. Being a Bond Girl isn't a lead.