Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
while i don't listen to Side 3 of Farewell often, i think it's an important inclusion on the album and equally important as part of the overall Supremes discography and story.

If you line up their live albums that were released at the time, it makes such an incredible story.

Listen to their excitement and showmanship on Copa, then how it evolves to TOTT. Diana really begins to emerge strongly as a versatile superstar on TCB and [[pars of) GIT.

you then culminate in farewell. listen to how diana handles the crowd on Sunshine. there isn't 1 bit of awkwardness or insecurity. she is in TOTAL command but it was SOOOOOOO unique and different. very rarely do musicians or stars leave the security of the stage to mingle with the audience. and to do so in the middle of a song, make people stand up and sing.

We've all become highly accustomed to this now due to the way she utilized Reach Out and Touch in her shows. today it's no surprise to see or think of Diana doing a singalong. But in 1969 - WOW!!!!!!
I think "Aquarius" would've been fine with just the Motown stars included. The other folks were unnecessary. But Diana is in fine form and Cindy was even given a chance to let loose. I love the inclusion of "The Impossible Dream" on this album, but was a bit disappointed in "Someday We'll Be Together" and it's toned down musical backing. I wonder if that was a decision for the very last performance or if the other nights also had them using the same arrangement. The ladies all sounded great on it though.