Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
Good points.

The Shangri-las were actually in the top 40 more than the Ronettes believe it or not. They were way too young [[15, 16, 17), Betty and the twins all left the group at different times and I feel like they never evolved from the pouty "leader of the pack" sulking teen act. They were great vocalists though. A lot of the album cuts had great harmonies from them and as far as I know they never used additional vocalists.
I agree I think they were vastly underrated. They certainly could sing. I still think “remember [[walking in the sand)“ one of the finest songs ever released by a girl group. One music writer referred to it as invoking the feeling of memory itself which I think is a great description.

I guess I probably shouldn’t have included the 3 Degrees in my summary. They had a pretty amazing career if you look back on it, really there were three distinct phases to it. The early girl group phase where I don’t believe they had a lot of success, then in the late 60s when they were modeled after more of a Motown group and even did a remake of the song “maybe“ by the Chantels, produced by The original producer of the earlier version. Then they went through kind of a metamorphosis and evolved into a disco act and really had their greatest success up to that time. So I guess their career was far more unique and I shouldn’t have included it along with the more “one hit wonders“ which were abandoned by their record labels after they failed to chart a second or third time.