Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
I was always a huge Diana fan, starting from a small child. LOVE HANGOVER came out when I was in maybe the 4th or 5th grade. That was a popular song with my peers but I think Diana was thought of as sort of old-fashioned. I remember being so excited that I was going to see Diana's AN EVENING WITH DIANA ROSS live in concert. My teacher was impressed but the kids weren't. Later, I remember bringing the AN EVENING WITH DIANA ROSS album to music class. By mistake, the teacher put the needle down on THE LADY IS A TRAMP and the kids were like "Why are you playing that? That's jazz!" and similar comments. Things settled down when she put the needle on LOVE HANGOVER.

After that, I don't recall Diana being all that popular with my peers again until THE BOSS and then when she really invented herself with the "diana" album. Suddenly she was looking and sounding hip, until maybe 1985 or so.
Thanks for the added recollections Reese. I guess from now on when dissecting Diana's career and hypothesizing on would'a, should'a, could'as, I have to come at it from two different angles: the adult fans and the young fans. Yeah, thanks a lot Reese. That means more work for my brain.