[REMOVE ADS]

Malaco Records Building Destroyed by Tornado

I've got a line to a few people in Jackson, but it's getting harder to get through to them.

Earlier today, the Malaco offices and recording studios were destroyed by a series of tornadoes that tore through Jackson, Mississippi. I've got a running story on my site, but if you hear anything else, please share:

http://spinningsoul.com/2011/04/brea...ed-by-tornado/

uptight Guest
    I'm glad no one was hurt. And I hope the tapes are stored safely elsewhere. The article doesn't say.

Our thoughts go out to the Malaco family.

The tornado come to Tuscaloosa too. One of them wasn't far from the campus. I hope everyone was safe.

More Info. This just sickens me. A room housing master tapes was destroyed as well.

http://www.wlbt.com/Global/story.asp?S=14457925

I hope everyone was safe also. This could be a terrible loss. I hope everything turns out allright.

Dreadful news. At least no-one was hurt, but a disaster for one of the main companies keeping southern soul and blues going. [[The recent Queen Emily album was great!) I hope they were fully insured. But if they really have lost the masters, that's what's heartbreaking.

Terrible news! Definitely one of the few labels left in that genre of music that put out good consistent quality product.

This is so sad, on several levels. I'm very glad nobody was hurt, but if the masters were lost that's just so unfortunate.

I'm devestated!

Let's hope that the masters were stored off premises.

Quote Originally Posted by vcq View Post
    Sadly, it looks like the master tapes were destroyed according to this updated article:

"Sadly, the room that housed the master tapes from decades of great musicians like ZZ Hill, Little Milton and Bobby Blue Bland was reduced to rubble."

And another article at WLBT:

"A room that housed masters of recordings by world famous artists like Dorothy Moore of Misty Blue fame. Record keeping and royalty offices looked like they had been struck by a wrecking ball."
    You know, I have to admit that that ticks me off.

The first quote that you used about the master tapes... They took my story from SpinningSoul.com and copied the entire thing onto their website and put a little link at the top to mine. Complete plagiarism with the minimal possible attribution. Not sure if the folks at Oregon Music read this board, but they should probably change that before my lawyer gets into his office on Monday.

Sorry for the rant... I just put a ton of work into my website and I'm not about to give it away like that.

I know what it is like. Today, Palm Sunday in 1965 in Toledo Ohio we had one of the worst Tornado's that I can remember [[prior the one in 1969). We lost 45 people in the city and block after block was just destroyed. I feel for those affected this weekend by the terrible storms.

Malaco will rise again according to Tommy Couch Jr.They have relocated to a temporary site and will rebuild on the site that was destroyed.

spinning soul
    can someone just "copy and paste" a complete article for their own pages without permission or payment? then think a nod to the originator and link will make it all ok.
    good luck with it anyway.