Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
G

Agree, that is what makes the MS&S album so special. All three Women are each given songs that highlight their individual vocal talents. When sharing leads, the diversity in their voices makes for an exciting sound. Another major factor of course is that all three members were more then capable of singing lead. The production on the album is amazing for 76. It still sounds fresh and relevant here in 2021.
I wonder which direction the group would have gone in had they recorded another album together?. Perhaps a name change to Mary Wilson & The Supremes might have made MW reconsider her solo plans.
It was nice to see them performing as a group in the end sharing leads and at times singing in harmony. Wouldn't changing the name to Mary Wilson and the Supremes and having Mary step up in front of the others with little or no camera time, just be history repeating itself?

I am old fashioned, I admit. To me, a group is a group of people who sing together in harmony, with a lead singer who usually does one part solo. Sometimes, each member does a solo in the song - like The Originals.

I get sad when I see groups like the Supremes, the Bluenotes, the Miracles, the Teenagers, etc change their name to feature one of the members. Especially, when the Bluenotes changed their name to Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes and then Teddy Bear sang all the leads.

This was the Supremes last tv appearance.