[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Favourite Expanded CD Set

mine would be "Lost & Found" - so much strong material

My pick is the Expanded Edition of Supremes A Go-Go [[thanks to the SupreMix of "Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart").

Motown Eddie - I dont have A Go Go expanded yet im really looking forward to hearing it..my favourite period of The Supremes

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    Motown Eddie - I dont have A Go Go expanded yet im really looking forward to hearing it..my favourite period of The Supremes
    This is difficult as I love them all. If I must choose one, Touch Me In The Morning Expanded because of the inclusion of the To The Baby project...

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    Good news; the Expanded Edition of Supremes A Go-Go is still available! If I were you, I'd grab a copy soon before it goes out of print.

For me it would be a tie between Meet and WDOLG. I'm so partial to the pre-fame period of the Supremes. No visuals [[aside from photos, of course), no drama [[relatively speaking), no controversies, just pure vocals. Having the unreleased stuff from this period had me floating on air. IMO most of it was pretty good, sometimes only because of how well the girls sound. Their beautiful voices really could make or break a song sometimes.

Honorable mentions:

Supremes A Go-Go= I went from loving the AGG album- at one time probably labeling it my favorite of the group's- to not loving it anywhere as much as I once did. What the guys did to this album was absolutely fantastic. Made me love it all over again. Even the cuts I've never cared for, including some of the outtakes, became listenable. I still play this one frequently.

TMITM, for the same reason Johnny lists above. I don't believe that the TTB project was releasable at the time of it's recording because it's such a niche project, but as a fan of Diana's having those cuts was a must have.

LTISH, because the unreleased cuts were mostly better than the actual album.

I wouldn't count Lost and Found as an expanded edition. It's just a comp of unreleased cuts. However, as it is, I really do enjoy it. I might put Never Before Released Masters right above it, and the unreleased portion of 25th Anniversary right behind it. But all three run very close to one another in how much I enjoy them. And of course This Is the Story also had me over the moon.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Good news; the Expanded Edition of Supremes A Go-Go is still available! If I were you, I'd grab a copy soon before it goes out of print.
    The one expanded I have not gotten is the Copa one. I wonder if it's still in print.

Everything and last time had gems from the vaults.
    Fav thus far...sing hdh

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    The one expanded I have not gotten is the Copa one. I wonder if it's still in print.
    Just did a quick check on the Deluxe Edition of Supremes At The Copa and unfortunately, it's out of print. Only way to get it now is through eBay or on MP3.

And at a premium on eBay. Most are around $75. Not as bad as some others at $100 and $300 though.

Just checking eBay:

EXPANDED

MEET: $29.47
    COPA: $75.56
    GO GO: $25.00
    HDH: $31.22
    LOST AND FOUND: $87.68
    MERRY CHRISTMAS: $19.99
    W/ TEMPTATIONS DUETS: $36.00
    MORE HITS: $74.00
    SYMPHONY: $64.72

The cops is a milestone
    Glad to see it restored

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    The copa is a milestone of an album.
    Glad to see it restored
    History restored

Whole lotta love for the Deluxe Expanded Editions! Eternally grateful to George, Harry et al. I've enjoyed all of them, but my favorites are:

1. Supremes A Go-Go - Everything about this deluxe set, but especially the SupreMix and early scratch versions of Love Is Like An Itchin' and the duet version of Shake Me, Wake Me.
    2. WDOLG - Disc 2 is a treasure lode. Most grateful to have these tracks, which gave me new [[as opposed to renewed) respect and awe for DMF!
    3. TMITM - To The Baby tracks are indeed must-haves, at least for this DR fan.
    4. Sing HDH - I waited so long for this one and it did not disappoint!
    5. diana [[1980) - To have and hear the original Chic mixes was essential [[although I ultimately preferred the Ross/Terrana remixes). The Disc 2 disco tracks also bumped this set into my Top 5.
    6. Sing and Perform Funny Girl - I had to include this one because I always loved the original album. Diana Ross really matured and shined with this project. I really appreciate having the tracks with Mary and Cindy, too. I didn't care, even back in 1968, that this was not commercially successful.

Would love to have:
    1. Expanded Love Child and/or Reflections. If there aren't enough good tracks in the vaults, how about a deluxe set with both albums and the best of the vaulted tracks, alternates and remixes?

2. Deluxe LSTB. Perhaps combining the best of the original soundtrack [[i.e. all the awesome vocals minus the dialogues), Blue and Stolen Moments.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    Whole lotta love for the Deluxe Expanded Editions! Eternally grateful to George, Harry et al. I've enjoyed all of them, but my favorites are:

1. Supremes A Go-Go - Everything about this deluxe set, but especially the SupreMix and early scratch versions of Love Is Like An Itchin' and the duet version of Shake Me, Wake Me.
    2. WDOLG - Disc 2 is a treasure lode. Most grateful to have these tracks, which gave me new [[as opposed to renewed) respect and awe for DMF!
    3. TMITM - To The Baby tracks are indeed must-haves, at least for this DR fan.
    4. Sing HDH - I waited so long for this one and it did not disappoint!
    5. diana [[1980) - To have and hear the original Chic mixes was essential [[although I ultimately preferred the Ross/Terrana remixes). The Disc 2 disco tracks also bumped this set into my Top 5.
    6. Sing and Perform Funny Girl - I had to include this one because I always loved the original album. Diana Ross really matured and shined with this project. I really appreciate having the tracks with Mary and Cindy, too. I didn't care, even back in 1968, that this was not commercially successful.

Would love to have:
    1. Expanded Love Child and/or Reflections. If there aren't enough good tracks in the vaults, how about a deluxe set with both albums and the best of the vaulted tracks, alternates and remixes?

2. Deluxe LSTB. Perhaps combining the best of the original soundtrack [[i.e. all the awesome vocals minus the dialogues), Blue and Stolen Moments.
    Love the concept for an expanded LSTB lucky. A combination of all her jazz work would be an extremely welcome edition to the expanded series.
    Even though the expanded version was not released on cd, “Baby It's Me” remains my fave to date.

I can't choose between them as they all have relevance and highlights for me.

One massive highlight for me was hearing the fully lyrics on the alternate Love Hangover, despite Diana's vocals sounding a bit compressed in comparison to the previously released versions. I can only imagine the fun in the studio when the song was recorded.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Love the concept for an expanded LSTB lucky. A combination of all her jazz work would be an extremely welcome edition to the expanded series.
    Even though the expanded version was not released on cd, “Baby It's Me” remains my fave to date.
    Mine too Ollie. I remain hopeful of a physical and further expanded version of Baby it's Me in the not too distant future.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Mine too Ollie. I remain hopeful of a physical and further expanded version of Baby it's Me in the not too distant future.
    Do you know if any tracks were left off the EE of BIM?

Having just listened to it last night, I have a new appreciation for THERE'S A PLACE FOR US. I've listened to it before but for some reason, last night was an awakening. The group's versatility in doing material other than Motown was really unmatched and Diana was at the top of her game.

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    Do you know if any tracks were left off the EE of BIM?
    I do believe there is additional material, but George is the best man to answer that question.

Baby it's me has always been a favorite album.
    Ross shines thru out and I feel a few songs have been over looked

I think the copa expanded is my favourite. It's the one I listen to most.

I was never a fan of Go Go
    To uneven. Half HDH produced tracks and half other LA producers.
    The expanded edition made it enjoyable to me .great job to everyone

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Having just listened to it last night, I have a new appreciation for THERE'S A PLACE FOR US. I've listened to it before but for some reason, last night was an awakening. The group's versatility in doing material other than Motown was really unmatched and Diana was at the top of her game.
    I agree! I love this album. I probably would not have appreciated it if I had bought it when I was young, as I didn’t appreciate their versions of the standards or the Rodgers and Hart album and so on, but I love this album and think it’s amazing that the girls as young as they were could handle this material and put it over as well as they did. My least favorite song on the set is “fancy passes“, just because it’s kind of silly and the lyrics seem so 1960s dated. Still, their delivery on all the album is just spot on and so well done.

Next to that album which of course was a newfound discovery, as I hadn’t heard most of the tracks before, my favorite of the expanded editions is “A Go Go.“ I never cared much for that album before, the arrangements seemed rushed and quickly laid down kind of like the Liverpool album. But the remastering of this album was an absolute revelation and the punched up mixes were so much fun to listen to. My favorite hook on the whole album is still the hand claps on “these boots are made for walking.“ Truly the ultimate Supremes album.
    Last edited by kenneth; 01-02-2021 at 10:48 AM.

This is a very nice and appreciated thread. I also have been listening to some of the past expanded editions and it's very hard to pick a favorite. I'll be listening to something that I haven't heard for a long time and I tell Andy I forgot how much work went into this and how poor Kevin endured the long hours and tiny changes we would want to make. Especially knowing there were a limited number of fans that would even know the difference.
    One that we would like to redo [[someday) is a new Ultimate Where Did Our Love Go. For most of the unreleased songs we used whatever original mono mix was available. It would be great to do fresh stereo mixes of these songs since we have found more alternates of not only the unreleased songs but also the songs that made it to the album. I think the packaging could be a little more deluxe also.
    I often listen to the Roostertail show from the I Hear A Symphony expanded.I enjoy all the live shows but that one seems to be the ultimate from the original three. And it's especially fun having all the Motown folks in the audience. It would make a good double live album.
    There is more that can be added to an Ultimate Baby It's Me for a physical release. I'd rather not say specifically till we see what can be cleared.
    With each new release we seem to find something we wish was better but I guess that is natural. We just try harder on the next one.
    Let's hope the new year brings something new sooner than later. A very happy and healthy new year to everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    This is a very nice and appreciated thread. I also have been listening to some of the past expanded editions and it's very hard to pick a favorite. I'll be listening to something that I haven't heard for a long time and I tell Andy I forgot how much work went into this and how poor Kevin endured the long hours and tiny changes we would want to make. Especially knowing there were a limited number of fans that would even know the difference.
    One that we would like to redo [[someday) is a new Ultimate Where Did Our Love Go. For most of the unreleased songs we used whatever original mono mix was available. It would be great to do fresh stereo mixes of these songs since we have found more alternates of not only the unreleased songs but also the songs that made it to the album. I think the packaging could be a little more deluxe also.
    I often listen to the Roostertail show from the I Hear A Symphony expanded.I enjoy all the live shows but that one seems to be the ultimate from the original three. And it's especially fun having all the Motown folks in the audience. It would make a good double live album.
    There is more that can be added to an Ultimate Baby It's Me for a physical release. I'd rather not say specifically till we see what can be cleared.
    With each new release we seem to find something we wish was better but I guess that is natural. We just try harder on the next one.
    Let's hope the new year brings something new sooner than later. A very happy and healthy new year to everyone!
    I agree George. I think Where Did Our Love Go could use a 3 CD deluxe edition ;-)

Thanks George
    Good to hear there are more gems and possibilities
    On A Go Go n sing HDH
    I was hoping for more kevin reeves mixs.
    Was hoping heatwave.. same old song and baby I need your lovin to get new updates

George
    Do u think we will ever get an expanded Right On
    Seems to be a monumental album in the groups catologue

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    George
    Do u think we will ever get an expanded Right On
    Seems to be a monumental album in the groups catalogue
    It's my absolute favorite 70's Supremes album, but if we struggle to get the better selling Drat's expanded editions i very much doubt we shall ever get Right On.
    A more realistic option would be a 70's Supremes Lost and Found set. That would be wonderful.

i'm going to go broad with this and include all of the re-releases.

favorite is R&H. that album is simply perfect and the girls never sounded better. there are no added vocalists so it's all just DMF. and the unreleased tracks are IMO better than some of the released ones, mostly because the group is featured more

next fav would be diana 80 because we got the original mixes by chic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    It's my absolute favorite 70's Supremes album, but if we struggle to get the better selling Drat's expanded editions i very much doubt we shall ever get Right On.
    A more realistic option would be a 70's Supremes Lost and Found set. That would be wonderful.
    actually, based on chart activity, RO performed as well as pretty much all of the DRATS content, excluding the obvious TCB and Join the temps. GH3 also out did RO in chart duration. but RO did as well as Sunshine, Cream, Together and much better than Farewell, GIT, Funny Girl or TOTT

still you have a point. the hopes of getting EE on each of the remaining albums [[after Reflections) is doubtful IMO. I would guess that the DRATS material is mostly picked over. we received the L&F set, they've already done the duets and Funny Girl. There's certainly live material and the tv specials. but i don't know how much content is really available for a Sunshine EE or the like unless there are big differences in mono vs stereo.

same with the 70s. there's a lot of Jean material left in the vaults. not sure if there are even mono vs stereo issues of the albums by this point. i thought they were done with mono. So i'd vote to issue as much unreleased material as possible in a L&F approach

Ran - check you inbox. sent you a message

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    Ran - check you inbox. sent you a message
    Got it and replied!

i'm going to go broad with this and include all of the re-releases.

favorite is R&H. that album is simply perfect and the girls never sounded better. there are no added vocalists so it's all just DMF. and the unreleased tracks are IMO better than some of the released ones, mostly because the group is featured more

next fav would be diana 80 because we got the original mixes by chic.
    I forgot about R&H, yes that was a great one. Song for song, I actually prefer the unreleased tracks to most of the original album. That was a surprise.

My fingers are crossed for a true expanded edition of Surrender. I believe I've read in this forum that supposedly there wasn't much cut for Surrender. Hoping that's not the final case. Would love anything A&S did with Diana. Same goes for The Boss. Hoping for an EE with that. And then there's the coveted rumored solo versions of the Diana and Marvin set. If true, and it ever sees the light of day, I can die a happy man since I love anything these two singers do together or apart.

My fingers are crossed for a true expanded edition of Surrender. I believe I've read in this forum that supposedly there wasn't much cut for Surrender. Hoping that's not the final case. Would love anything A&S did with Diana. Same goes for The Boss. Hoping for an EE with that. And then there's the coveted rumored solo versions of the Diana and Marvin set. If true, and it ever sees the light of day, I can die a happy man since I love anything these two singers do together or apart.
    I don't think there is much unreleased Ashford and Simpson / Diana material but I would love to be wrong, as I think the albums they did together are amongst Diana's best. Re SURRENDER, I think the only unreleased song was BABY I'LL COME, which ended up on the expanded cd and was a song from Ashford and Simpson's Scepter Records days.

Without question, unequivocally, unreservedly, and assuredly...

Supremes A Go Go
    Name:  716eX8B6t+L._SL1000_.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  85.6 KB

I love 'em all, but that one geeked me out more than any other. I still listen to the alternate mixes of LILAIIMH since I added them to my workout playlist. I've edited them to blend them with other songs to create a "supermix" and listen to the entire stereo version at least one every other week.

Last edited by thanxal; 01-05-2021 at 01:44 PM.

I don't think there is much unreleased Ashford and Simpson / Diana material but I would love to be wrong, as I think the albums they did together are amongst Diana's best. Re SURRENDER, I think the only unreleased song was BABY I'LL COME, which ended up on the expanded cd and was a song from Ashford and Simpson's Scepter Records days.
    yeah i would assume you're right. Valerie was also working on launching a solo career at this time at motown, without a whole lot of support it seems from the label. And didn't they leave motown in 72?

there might still be a few alt versions of songs in the vault but i'd assume not. on the EE we got a version of Mountain [[not a song on Surrender) and Valeria's solo version of Remember Me. I would assume that if there were two or three wonderful or releasable alt versions that we would have gotten those on the EE instead of these two tracks.

out of all of the EE, this might be the one i was most excited for. partially because it was one of the first released on the Sups. yes we had already gotten the R&H set but this was the first deluxe package from Hip O Select. a booklet, all of the various tracks. it was SOOOOOOOO exciting at the time.

the R&H set was sort of the pinnacle of the original group. the Supremes always seems "special" because of their versatility, showmanship, etc. they weren't simply another Girl Group or Rock N Roll act. R&H was the culmination of their work and training and also the work and training of their producers. the tracks are polished, sophisticated, gorgeous.

but There's is special because it was one of the first AND it was missing. I'm going to skip CW&P because most of those tracks were motown originals with a handful of actual country songs thrown in. So once the girls hit BIG, Berry had them lined up to do a whole range of specialty albums over the next year - Liverpool, Sam Cooke, There's a Place, Tribute to the Girls. And later there was Broadway to Hollywood, Disney and Around The World. So there were plans for SO MUCH extra content, some of which was never even recorded and a lot of which was never released. On this one EE, we got There's a Place, Tribute and B2H.

we had received some great [[and some not so great lol) content before. Never Before Released Master and 25th Anniv had provided a lot of vaulted contents and they included a few tracks from these specialty sets. And i dearly loved receiving these. But let's face it - Save Me A Star is not in the same league as their version of Sleepwalk. And Treat Me Nice John Henry pales compared to Boy From Ipanema. Now i'm a completist and love getting ALL of the canned material we can - old stuff, incomplete stuff, etc. But these specialty albums really let the girls shine and so i've always been especially eager for them

yeah i would assume you're right. Valerie was also working on launching a solo career at this time at motown, without a whole lot of support it seems from the label. And didn't they leave motown in 72?

there might still be a few alt versions of songs in the vault but i'd assume not. on the EE we got a version of Mountain [[not a song on Surrender) and Valeria's solo version of Remember Me. I would assume that if there were two or three wonderful or releasable alt versions that we would have gotten those on the EE instead of these two tracks.
    I assumed there wasn't much left over SURRENDER material because the album itself is heavy on remakes, even if some of us didn't know they were remakes at the time.

And yeah, Valerie was doing her solo thing at the time as well. It would be interesting to hear Diana take on Val's SILLY WASN'T I. And even that song was an old Ashford-Simpson-Armstead composition.

But you never know. Unlabeled or mislabeled tape boxes pop up occasionally so maybe there is still some gold in them there hills.
    Last edited by reese; 01-05-2021 at 03:11 PM.

They have got to release an extended “Boss” album. That album is iconic. I’d love to hear unreleased tracks- if there are any. Certainly there are alternate takes for the album tracks. They could also include her HBO live versions, and extended remixes.

i'd love more Boss material. I wonder if there is any or if there are any unused songs. we have the extended versions of four of the dance tracks, plus the combo of No One/The Boss. of course there could be different versions of the extended remixes too

Well George said they discover stuff after releases, so fingers crossed that some Surrender session stuff is waiting. "Baby I'll Come" was a favorite of mine when I first bought the reissue. I felt it should've made the album but couldn't figure out what song I would've replaced. I'm now of the opinion that it being an outtake makes sense. I don't think I would've replaced anything on the actual album.

I love anything Supremes, but I prefer the Supremes singing good ole Motown music as opposed to a lot of the specialty stuff. Give me "Save Me A Star" over "Somewhere" any day of the week.

an expanded set of "The Boss" with instrumentals and acapellas would be fantastic - I would love to hear "Im In The World" as a acapella or an instrumental of "Its My House"

Ultimate Baby It's Me release album would be fabulously appreciated. This album was well produced and has a great musical flow.

For me, it's definitely the 'diana' deluxe edition. With such a mystery over how the original Chic mixes differed from the actual remixed release, it was amazing to hear these tracks for the first time after dreaming about it for over two decades.

I guess it's not quite as amazing as hearing the unreleased Johnny Mathis CHIC album after 36 years of wondering about it, but I'm a much bigger Diana fan.

All of them.
    Diana ross 76
    Diana
    Most surprised last time I saw him.
    I like the out takes better than what was released

Do we have any idea what's next in the pipeline ?

im keeping an eye on the expanded's i dont have on Ebay - At The Copa,A Go Go & Sing HDH..getting harder to spot copies of "Diana Ross" [[1976)..