[REMOVE ADS]

Supremes in the Orient

Hi everybody--here's a link to the best, most cleaned up clip of the Supremes touring Asia. I've seen clips from this before but the quality was always pretty bad. Man, all three do an amazing job here. They look and sound great and for the first time I can actually see/hear Florence's comedic timing for myself! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT9F60A__XQ

i thought the rumor was that Berry and Motown had commissioned this with the idea of using it for a tv special. hence the editing, the animated "oriental" title at the beginning.

also, i've tried to listen closely. I think they used some of the stage audio from the Roostertail for the song performances here. Motown had long been working with the Roostertail and 20 Grand to have recording equipment there to tape the acts. I think mostly for learning purposes as opposed to really releasing the shows on lp to the public. Anyway, I've wondered if much of the audio isn't from there, with some onsite audio from the tour. that way the songs would have sounded more polished that being taped in some random club in Manilla

Whatever the sound source, Mary sounds amazing singing ‘People’ here, very Sarah Vaughn like. Diana with her effervescent personality radiates star quality in spoonfuls and Flo lending the kind of vocal support Cindy never really could. An interesting glimpse of life on the road.

Ollie I agree with you on every point. I'm a guy who completely missed the Supremes' heyday, but seeing this clip makes me understand how they blew up so big. All three were magnetic! Mary sounds beautiful on People so I don't know why she never mentions that she used to do a solo on it! And Florence looks so young, so naturally pretty--and the sound mix makes her sound great in the background. I wish they'd have stayed with the natural hairstyles instead of going to that bouffant stuff and the old lady dresses. Here all three look sexy, young--and even the stage patter sounded more natural than what came later.

After hearing all the stories about Diana taking the song “People” from Florence, imagine my surprise not only seeing the song still in the show, but with Mary singing co-lead with Florence. IMO Mary sounds better than Florence on this song.

I agree. I was shocked when I first heard Mary singing it--especially when you consider how good she sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    After hearing all the stories about Diana taking the song “People” from Florence, imagine my surprise not only seeing the song still in the show, but with Mary singing co-lead with Florence. IMO Mary sounds better than Florence on this song.
    yeah i think that story is more myth. Not sure where it originated but was included in a few books. but seems that it wasn't the case

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    yeah i think that story is more myth. Not sure where it originated but was included in a few books. but seems that it wasn't the case
    The first place I remember reading it was in Nelson George's book on Motown, WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO? Then later in Mary's first book and Tony Turner's rather dramatic portrayal of it in ALL THAT GLITTERED.

In her latest book, SUPREME GLAMOUR, Mary does mention that she had a solo portion in PEOPLE. But a few pages later, she says [[again) that Diana was given Flo's solo.

Great time capsule of the original trio.
    Great music
    Great harmony n vocals.
    To bad this has remained vaulted

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    The first place I remember reading it was in Nelson George's book on Motown, WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO? Then later in Mary's first book and Tony Turner's rather dramatic portrayal of it in ALL THAT GLITTERED.

In her latest book, SUPREME GLAMOUR, Mary does mention that she had a solo portion in PEOPLE. But a few pages later, she says [[again) that Diana was given Flo's solo.
    I haven't read Supreme Glamour but it seems that once again Mary cannot make her mind up on some stories.

I wonder if Motown has an unedited version of this. I've always wanted to see footage of a DMF show complete. They really were at the top of their game here. Flo especially was radiant on this tour. Its easy to see why fans loved all three such as myself. I'm more of a Flo and Diana fan but the two of them plus Mary all together is an unbeatable combination.

Yeah I don't know why Mary downplays that she sung lead on People as well. I really wish she'd give herself more credit sometimes. Like Flo, she just didn't have enough vocal training at that time to really master her vocal abilities.

also, i've tried to listen closely. I think they used some of the stage audio from the Roostertail for the song performances here.
    Can't rule that out, but I would point out that the Supremes' act was so rehearsed that there are times when any given number might be an exact replica from a previous show. When it comes to Supremes shows starting around the Copa to pretty much when Diana leaves, it's almost always the same exact show, which is why I don't get overly excited about possible live recordings being released, with the exception of the inclusion of a surprise number or two.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    IMO Mary sounds better than Florence on this song.
    I've said that before, that "People" should have been Mary's song. According to Florence, it was her [[Flo's) idea to include the "Funny Girl" tunes in the act. She suggested "I Am Woman" for Diana and "People" for herself. I'm assuming that whatever the reason, Flo connected to "People" and made it her own thing. I think she is in fine voice on the song, but I don't think her voice particularly fits the song in the way that Mary's does. Now, keep in mind, the audiences of the time were apparently pleased with Florence's performance. The song remained in the act, a Flo lead, from 1964-1966, so for Gordy to leave it in so long, it had to be a bonafide crowd pleaser. But for my tastes, Mary was the better fit for the song.

The number that would've killed would have been Flo singing "Good News". Absolutely ridiculous not to add it to the live act.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Can't rule that out, but I would point out that the Supremes' act was so rehearsed that there are times when any given number might be an exact replica from a previous show. When it comes to Supremes shows starting around the Copa to pretty much when Diana leaves, it's almost always the same exact show, which is why I don't get overly excited about possible live recordings being released, with the exception of the inclusion of a surprise number or two.
    although the show was perfectly rehearsed and timed, it was the little things that made me think the Roostertail audio was used. the little inflections Diana would do or ad libs etc. those little things that would vary based on one performance vs another. even just listening to the handful of songs we have from the multiple shows at Roostertail - like the 2 show versions of You Can't Hurry Love

It could be that Mary forgot that she sometimes did the lead with Flo. i have a fiend who wrote several books on Motown and he said Mary remembered very little from the 60's. Mary wrote her book before we all got spoiled with Youtube so she may not have remembered. I was told the entire skeleton of Dreamgirl was created almost entirely from reading fans' scrap books. M was hypnotized to regain her memories.

I would not necessarily agree that the Roostertail audio was used, primarily because if you listen to the Roostertail recordings, Mary is the dominant voice you hear between her and Flo. Here, you can here Florence clear as day. Also, if you listen to "People," the ending harmonies here are so much less balanced because I was whatever audio was being used picked up Diana more, but the balance is better on the Roostertail recordings. Anyway, just my two-cents.

Regarding "People," I've always thought Flo sounded magnificent, but the arrangement never lent itself to Flo giving more than the staple melody. It's not until it slows down and allows Mary to lead that the song takes new life. Basically, I think the arrangement for the first couple of verses were to straightforward to allow Florence to shine. I wonder how she would have done with Mary's verse.

I would give my left arm to see this in full. It's truly a remarkable concert and proof that the act was much more than just Diana, and it's a shame that this group unity was cut further and further down over the years.

I also love the backstage bits. You can tell they're still friends, and Florence's humor cuts right through. A priceless moment in time.

In his memoirs, Otis Williams said Florence was the kind of woman that photos don't do justice. I get what he's saying now. Flo looks incredible in this video.

Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    I would not necessarily agree that the Roostertail audio was used, primarily because if you listen to the Roostertail recordings, Mary is the dominant voice you hear between her and Flo. Here, you can here Florence clear as day. Also, if you listen to "People," the ending harmonies here are so much less balanced because I was whatever audio was being used picked up Diana more, but the balance is better on the Roostertail recordings. Anyway, just my two-cents.

Regarding "People," I've always thought Flo sounded magnificent, but the arrangement never lent itself to Flo giving more than the staple melody. It's not until it slows down and allows Mary to lead that the song takes new life. Basically, I think the arrangement for the first couple of verses were to straightforward to allow Florence to shine. I wonder how she would have done with Mary's verse.

I would give my left arm to see this in full. It's truly a remarkable concert and proof that the act was much more than just Diana, and it's a shame that this group unity was cut further and further down over the years.

I also love the backstage bits. You can tell they're still friends, and Florence's humor cuts right through. A priceless moment in time.
    i've never been overly thrilled with People. even Barbra's version. it's just not a song i love, period.

what i'm baffled with is why were most of these Flo leads so damn slow?!?! People, Silent Night, O Holy Night. whoever arranged these pieces must have been planning a fucking funeral dirge! lol I'm not saying they should have disco-fied them lol but at least have them at an appropriate pace. being so slow makes intonation more challenging.

it is a shame that Good News wasn't the closing number for the Sam Cooke medley. problem is that would have put too big a spotlight on Flo and that medley was often used as the encore. so the show would end on a big Flo note.

it is a shame that Good News wasn't the closing number for the Sam Cooke medley. problem is that would have put too big a spotlight on Flo and that medley was often used as the encore. so the show would end on a big Flo note.
    That would have made for an exciting finish. I honestly don’t believe Diana would have minded one bit.

George and Andy
    What are the chances you could get the original masters and bring this back to life

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Like Flo, she just didn't have enough vocal training at that time to really master her vocal abilities.
    Imagine if during their 'no-hit' period, Berry had arranged more expert training for the girls. Then they might have been the real sister-group to the Tempts - 'the girl group with three lead singers'.

Not that I don't think Diana was the right pick for leads with her unique vocal. And this film shows that some of her harmonies weren't that great compared to the others.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    Flo looks incredible in this video.
    It's peak-Flo isn't it? Before the demons got to her. She does look lovely, especially in the dressing room scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    it seems that once again Mary cannot make her mind up on some stories.
    We should all know how hard it is to remember things exactly from 20 years ago though. The other day I was reminded of an Uncle who I'd forgotten had existed - and I'm supposed to be the smart one in our clan concerning family history.

I know if I got together with one friend and recalled an incident from 20 [[even 5 lol) years ago it could be quite different from a recollection of the same incident with another friend who was also there at the time.

I wonder if Motown has an unedited version of this. I've always wanted to see footage of a DMF show complete.
    It would be great to see a remastered version of this film. If only there was a colour film or special of DMF doing a live show of their hits [[I get sick of seeing the show-tunes) while at their peak.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    George and Andy
    What are the chances you could get the original masters and bring this back to life
    Ha! We can't even get the work they've already finished!

Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post

Fair point and rethinking my opinion, I agree with you.

i've never been overly thrilled with People. even Barbra's version. it's just not a song i love, period.

what i'm baffled with is why were most of these Flo leads so damn slow?!?! People, Silent Night, O Holy Night. whoever arranged these pieces must have been planning a fucking funeral dirge! lol I'm not saying they should have disco-fied them lol but at least have them at an appropriate pace. being so slow makes intonation more challenging.

Diana spoke about Florence having had potential in opera. I wonder if the producers connected that aspect of Flo's singing with these sort of arrangements. Whatever the reason, she killed "Oh Holy Night", both vocal versions.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Ha! We can't even get the work they've already finished!
    THANK YOU. As lovely as it might be to get "Supremes In The Orient" released in a pristine format, Thanxal hit the nail on the head. There are completed Expanded Editions just sitting and waiting for Universal to give the green light to release them, but... here we sit still waiting. I'd take these EE's over a remastered SITO.

"Peak flo!" Never heard that expression before! Hee hee! I like it! Anyway, all I'm saying is that I think Flo looked better with natural hair and without tons of eye makeup. She didn't need all that stuff, at least if this video is any indication. Mary also didn't need it IMO.

Flo did look great during this period. I have to say my favorite Flo look was what she had going during the last months with the group with the short hair. The only thing I didn't like was I noticed she went really heavy with the eye makeup right before she left the group.

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    THANK YOU. As lovely as it might be to get "Supremes In The Orient" released in a pristine format, Thanxal hit the nail on the head. There are completed Expanded Editions just sitting and waiting for Universal to give the green light to release them, but... here we sit still waiting. I'd take these EE's over a remastered SITO.
    Yes danman. I didn't mean to intimate that I wouldn't want SITO, because, of course I would. But with Andy and George and Kevin's completed hard work sitting on [[I assume) a computer hard drive somewhere, I'm guessing genuinely new stuff would be like pulling hen's teeth.

Flo did look great during this period. I have to say my favorite Flo look was what she had going during the last months with the group with the short hair. The only thing I didn't like was I noticed she went really heavy with the eye makeup right before she left the group.
    She was gorgeous toward the end. I think the eye thing was very hip at the time. She didn't need it, but personally I think it made her even more eye catching, in a good way.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    She was gorgeous toward the end. I think the eye thing was very hip at the time. She didn't need it, but personally I think it made her even more eye catching, in a good way.
    that's a fun topic to look through - their individual evolution of their "look"

prior to WDOLG it was mostly [[i'm guessing) their own hair, simple makeup, basic dresses

with WDOLG they started wearing huge wigs of elaborate bouffants, longer dresses but still not overly fancy

by 65, they were wearing their hair a bit shorter, the gowns started getting glitzier

in 66 they went more mod - Vidal Sassoon cuts, more cutting edge looks, the sequin gowns emerge