[REMOVE ADS]

Deniece Williams Diva Stories about Diana Ross

Not sure if somebody posted this before, but this is a sweet video:

Good story from Deniece Williams about meeting Diana Ross ; thanks so much for sharing Jaap.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    Not sure if somebody posted this before, but this is a sweet video:

I think someone else posted this earlier this year but it is lovely to see it again. Diana the ultimate Diva!

Diana sure doesn't sound very divaish in this. More mentoring and thoughtful.

I think Diana has been difficult before but so has anyone who is in the entertainment field. The bigger the star the bigger the rumor or the more it gets embellished. I remember the first time I heard something negative about Johnny Mathis that to his day I refused to believe it but hey they are all human.

"My dukes up in my spirit" has become a part of my lexicon because of this clip.

Recognizing that this may potentially trigger the snowflakes, like it did the last time the subject was brought up, let's tell the truth: Diana's gender has a ton to do with the way some of her behavior has been perceived. To be a woman in the industry when she was at the top of her game, and in particular a Black woman, meant that she had to put up with some bullshit. She knew in order to have things the way she wanted them, she had to demand it. This could not have won her many friends among TPTB in the industry, nor among those of her peers who either didn't possess her ability to demand for themselves the way she did for herself or those who were merely jealous of her accomplishments. Aretha has had a similar perception problem based on the way she does business. None of this is to discount the tales of Diana in her youth where she was young and dumb and clawing her way to the top, doing stupid shit like 99 percent of teenagers and young adults throughout time. Also not discounting that there were times in Diana's adult years where she mishandled situations or wasn't always the nicest, gracious person she should have been. Everybody has an off day every now and then. And honestly nothing I've ever heard about Diana during her post motherhood years- that I can remember off the top of my head- is so incredibly nasty, the way she treats other people. I really do think the craziness of Motown 25 is as bad as she may have gotten and that was with someone she knew as family. How many ungracious fan stories are out there? How many celebrity horror stories of Diana really exist vs stories like the one Deniece tells? Sheryl Lee Ralph's story comes to mind now that I think about it and if it went down the way Sheryl says it did, it's not an endearing Diana moment. But again, we all have "moments" because most of us are human.