[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by benross View Post
    Blame the Reagans. It was probably them who put the kabosh on any giving any extra recognition to Diana Ross or her recordings.

I was at Lincoln Center the night the Reagans attended a benefit performance there. Mr. Reagan did not look any too happy when the opening act -- Ron Jr. and some other dancers -- gave a somewhat lackluster performance and were immediately put to shame once the show's headliner, Diana Ross, stepped on stage. She twirled and turned elegantly and gracefully during what seemed to be an extended ending to her song It's My Turn, wearing one of her first white sheer floating overcoats while jubilantly belting out her defiance and dancing dizzyingly and exuberantly. She was in great spirits and great voice. The Reagans were aghast as everyone forgot the couple was in the audience and forgot the son's performance. The evening belonged to Diana, who sang for perhaps an hour or more.

Too, vindictive Nancy was furious because, in that same time period but not the night of the concert, she and Diana both had a designer gown [[by Galanos, maybe) and she looked like a sack of last year's beans in hers while, on a different occasion, the 1981 Academy Awards, Diana, accompanied by Michael Jackson, looked extraordinarily beautiful and vibrant wearing exactly the same design.

So the Reagans begged their old Hollywood friends to shun Diana Ross, because she was an Academy Award nominee and a superstar and they were nothing and they hated to acknowledge that truth. But 40 years later, the truth persists, and so does Diana!
    This is hilarious. I find it extremely hard to believe that the President of the United States and the First Lady who had way too many pressing issues to address would worry about whether Diana Ross was going to get a nomination for the title song of a failed movie and go to any lengths to try to stop it.

I'll have some of what you're smokin' cuz u be trippin'

Quote Originally Posted by LoveSupreme View Post
    I find it extremely hard to believe that the President of the United States and the First Lady who had way too many pressing issues to address would worry about whether Diana Ross was going to get a nomination'
    Reagan wasn't even President at the time of the 1980 Awards.