I loved the Supremes in the 1970's but I noticed something that I think may have affected their singles with the mass public.
The ones that really hit were Up The Ladder To The Roof and Stoned Love. If you listen and compare them to the other singles there is a distinct difference in the sound, beat, rhythm and clarity of the songs. They really had a strong beat with clear vocals to catch your ear.The only follow ups that came close were River Deep Mountain High with the 4 Tops and I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking.
If you listen to some of the others the vocals seem muddy and muted, the beat was not nearly as fast or catchy. Check out the second single Everybody's Got The Right To Love was slower and sounded muddy and muted in the mix compared to Ladder. Nathan Jones was unusual with its sound and unison singing. Even You Gotta Have Love in Your Heart was muddy and muted and plodded along compared to River Deep Mountain High. I love Touch but feel it was a misfire as a single. Smokey's singles were a nice return to form but so light and frothy that all 3 don't grab you like the first 2 did. Once we got to the ballad I Guess I'll Miss The Man and the early disco sound of Bad Weather, the sounds and mixes just sounded fairly muted and were not grabbing you. He's My Man was good but I can see why it went well on the disco charts but not on pop. I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking clearly should have been a much bigger hit. It also sounded great with a terrific beat, the mix was clear and very catchy. Driving Wheel had the good beat and was clear, it was just not the right song to follow up a potential return, Let Yourself Go would have been a better choice to start but by the time they chose it, interest was once again gone. I wondered if anyone else noticed how the clarity and beat of those hits compared to the follow up singles. I loved those singles as a fan but with the general public I could see how the sound and mixes on those singles did not help them after such a great start.