Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
My point being the background vocals on "Good News" aren't among their best. Mary is shouting over Diana, when the harmony would've sounded better the other way around. Not necessarily that Diana should've shouted, but Mary definitely shouldn't have been shouting. I am not a fan of Mary shouting, the Farewell album being another case of this.
i just listened to Good News again and i don't hear mary on the top note. I do hear Mary louder in the background than Diana. But it definitely sounds like Mary is singing the bottom, Flo's lead lines are in the middle and Diana is above with the soprano background.

Mary's voice is VERY prominent in the bg for Good News. the overall mixing of the song isn't as polished as other sup work at the time. most likely that's the influence of recording this on the west coast.

my understanding of Motown history is that motown engineers jimmyrigged a multi track recording system well ahead of others doing this. that allowed them to control and balance much more of the music