Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
when Berry told Mary on that fateful early morning phone call "I wash my hands of the group" he really meant it..Mary was fighting an uphill battle with both Depasse and Roshkind its a credit to Mary's tenacity that she managed to keep the group going to 1977 with lacklustre promotion and energy from Motown executives
Agreed. But I think Mary would've been better served to have exited with Jean and Lynda when they first started discussing it. After Jean left, Mary was basically at a label that didn't care if she was there or not. Even with her first solo album, Mary was recording for a label that really didn't give a shit. Why stay somewhere you're not wanted? Life is too short for that kind of stuff. I wish Mary had the self confidence to give Motown the finger, along with Jean and Lynda, and go somewhere else. No one will ever get me to change my mind that at another label, and even under another name, that these three in the right hands couldn't have been a major recording unit for at least the rest of the 70s.