The first record I ever bought was Up The Ladder to the Roof. I think in Right On, Jean had a very expressive voice with thoughtful vocals. I loved the progression on New Ways, though Jean's voice seemed to start to change a bit with those types of songs. I noticed on Touch, her vocals were stronger and louder and very intense and heartfelt, yet it began to have an even more nasal feel to it with the intensity of her vocals. By the time of Floy Joy, her vocals were definitely more nasal and sometimes felt at odds with the light hearted, bouncy pop music of that album. By the time of Jimmy Webb, her vocals were so nasal that they almost seem shrill. Of course, Webb had her sing out of her key range which did not endear it to most fans and Terrell reportedly was not happy about singing in this key. Still, listen to Right On and then Jimmy Webb it is almost like 2 different singers. Jean always sounded like a cross between Dionne Warwick and Diana Ross, less like Ross and more like Dionne as they went on. She does have a voice that is distinctive and pulled me into the Supremes. Yet, it is hard not to notice the change in her voice and I wonder if the progression was for the better. Had they recorded more songs like in the Touch LP, I think her voice would have evolved much better and would have helped establish her own distinctiveness. Just my opinion, though.