[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I think executives like Neil Bogart and David Geffen would have requested more input into Diana's recordings for their labels. I recall reading how Geffen actually canned Donna Summer's intended second album for his label because he wasn't pleased with it and then enlisted Quincy Jones to produce a new one for her.

I believe Clive Davis would have done the same. But in 1981, Clive had both Aretha and Dionne to keep on the charts. It might have been too much to add another diva to his list.

I don't think RCA had that type of figurehead on deck. And at that point, creative control probably wasn't something Diana wanted to give up. I think she might have even been quoted as saying as much around this time.
    Last edited by reese; 10-19-2020 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I think executives like Neil Bogart and David Geffen would have requested more input into Diana's recordings for their labels. I recall reading how Geffen actually canned Donna Summer's intended second album for his label because he wasn't pleased with it and then enlisted Quincy Jones to produce a new one for her.

I believe Clive Davis would have done the same. But in 1981, Clive had both Aretha and Dionne to keep on the charts. It might have been too much to add another diva to his list.

I don't think RCA had that type of figurehead on deck. And at that point, creative control probably wasn't something Diana wanted to give up. I think she might have even been quoted as saying as much around this time.
    interesting! didn't know about Clive, Aretha and Dionne. you're right. Diana would not have worked there

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post

Quite correct. Diana would not have been given the free reign she demanded at RCA.That could only have been a good thing in my opinion. We would have been treated to better quality albums.
    Can you imagine the likes of Clive Davis, Neil Bogart and David Geffen giving the green light to release garbage like Why do Fools and Silk Electric? No.Neither can i.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Quite correct. Diana would not have been given the free reign she demanded at RCA.That could only have been a good thing in my opinion. We would have been treated to better quality albums.
    Can you imagine the likes of Clive Davis, Neil Bogart and David Geffen giving the green light to release garbage like Why do Fools and Silk Electric? No.Neither can i.
    nor would Clive ever have allowed the hideous Eaten Alive to be released lol

so basically half [[or more lol) of her RCA output wouldn't have made it lol

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    nor would Clive ever have allowed the hideous Eaten Alive to be released lol

so basically half [[or more lol) of her RCA output wouldn't have made it lol
    Clive is a friend of Barry Gibb's so i think he would have approved the project. He would probably have insisted on a few tweaks here and there, and he would hopefully have binned the title track, or at the very least insisted upon a radical remix.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    In my opinion the Clive Davis string of karaoke lps [[I'm still waiting for 'Pia Zadora Sings The Best of Anita Bryant') are far, far worse and more artistically bereft lps! That Aretha's last studio lp was the dismal 'Diva' covers makes me sad.