[REMOVE ADS]

''Philly Re-Grooved 2'' [[The Tom Moulton Remixes - The Master Returns)

''Philly Re-Grooved 2''
    [[The Tom Moulton Remixes - The Master Returns)
    [[ Harmless Records, 2011 )

Tracklisting:
    1) Incompatible - Ultra High Frequency 5.51
    2) Smarty Pants - First Choice 5.10
    3) Beware, She’s Pulling My Strings - The Quickest Way Out 7.08
    4) One Step Away - First Choice 5.37
    5) Love At First Sight - Moment Of Truth 7.40
    6) Who Am I - The Quickest Way Out 6.31
    7) I’m Hopelessly In Love With You - Moment Of Truth 7.15
    8) Straight From The Heart - Loose Change 7.39
    9) Put Yourself In My Place - TJM 8.42
    Bonus Tracks
    10) Rising Cost Of Love - Loose Change 7.36
    11) Action Speaks Louder Than Words - Terry Collins 7.09

Comment:
    Once again Tom goes back to the golden age of 70’s Philly and shows his skills on key tracks from First Choice, Quickest Way Out, Ultra High Frequency, Moment Of Truth, Loose Change, TJM and Terry Collins to create another masterpiece and perfect companion to Volume 1.
    As per usual Press and Radio interest will be huge following the success of Volume 1 and there will be the usual superlative Harmless top-level campaign to support this release which will nicely kick off the summer of 2011!
    [[Demon Music Group)

Note:
    When Harmless released ‘Philly Re-grooved – The Tom Moulton Remixes’ back in August 2010, they had no idea how it would be received by today’s notoriously fickle marketplace. Would today’s audiences appreciate the skills and talents of a guy who was at the forefront of dance music history some 40 years ago? Would current audiences understand the subtle nuances and musical interactions of a pioneer mixing records from a bygone era in today’s age of instant gratification?
    The answer to all the above questions was a resounding YES and then some. ‘Philly Re-Grooved’ Volume 1 was a special release in many ways. Not only was it the 100th release in the 15 year history of Harmless Records but it was also very much a mark of respect to one of the greatest remixers of all-time, Tom Moulton. Whilst this would be of great significance to people of a certain era, there was really no guarantee that interest would go much beyond the core audience of disco stalwarts from back in the day.
    ‘Philly Re-Grooved’ Volume 1 touched a very significant nerve with anyone who loved dance music in the summer of 2010. After decades of being force-fed computer-driven dance music by bedroom producers who decided that they could take the place of professional songwriters, producers, arrangers and musicians, there was a sudden thirst for organic productions again, namely the kind of records which required consummate experts to craft them and often full orchestras of 40 plus musicians to bring the songs to life. ‘Philly Re-Grooved’ was a huge success has been one of Harmless’ biggest catalogue-sellers ever since,
    ‘Philly Re-grooved Volume 2’ is a continuation to the testament of the talents of Tom Moulton. Once again Tom goes back to the golden age of 70’s Philly and shows his skills on key tracks from First Choice, Quickest Way Out, Ultra High Frequency, Moment Of Truth, Loose Change, TJM and Terry Collins. The productions contain a ‘who’s who’ of musical geniuses behind the scenes: Thom Bell, Norman Harris, Stan Watson, Bobby Eli, Touch Of Class, Alan Felder and of course Reid Whitelaw and Tom Moulton.
    For track-by-track notes, sleeve notes, promos and any more info please contact: stephka@elninodiablo.co.uk / 020 7622 8626 / 07939 015 025

When will it be available in the UK?

It looks like it will also be released on the 30th May in the UK. You can pre-order here http://www.asda-entertainment.co.uk/.../10427706.html

Can I get this on Amazon or Importcds.com, or any other place? Thanks. Sounds like a great one.

Quote Originally Posted by mr soul View Post

It looks like it will also be released on the 30th May in the UK. You can pre-order here http://www.asda-entertainment.co.uk/.../10427706.html
    ASDA!

lol

OOHHH SHITTT!!!!!!!!!!! [[Sorry)
    I asked Tom a while back ,right here on SDF about remixing Straight From The Heart - Loose Change 7.39
    Put Yourself In My Place - TJM 8.42 and Rising Cost Of Love - Loose Change 7.36 ,and he said he would get to it!
    Not only is he a true icon ,but a man of his word. I saw on Amazon a CD-R issue of Loose ,[[nah) ,but recently I also saw a official reissue ,but no remixes on it. This!!!!!!!!! however is what I been waiting for !!!!!!!!!!!!! Hot Damn!!!!!!!!!!
    I wondered why Tom has been so quiet lately and I know he did the PBS project and figured he had been busy. I know he is out there lurking so ,I want to say Thank You T.J.M. in advance for the work on this project ,which I will aquire by any means and from anywhere. HHHAAAWWWTTT DAMN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that I've done some advertising for you Tom, how about releasing that Love Hangover long remix!?

Just got a copy of this new Volume 2 and I'm loving it Tom Moulton is a master - absolutely the best 're-issue' album this year so far

We are working on the next TJ Lubinsky PBS special and it does keep me busy. A few More SOUL artists on this one!
    Glad you like the album Paul
    I wish the Love Hangover would come out. I get so many inquiries about it and when I had the opportunity to see it released they wanted me to cut it down and I refused. I was asked by someone else at the label to make the Ultimate Diva record and I thought I did. If I am going to do something like that I want to take it to the top of the mountain instead of leaving it at the bottom of the cliff.

Hi Tom, thanks for your reply.
    Did Diana ever comment on your remix?
    Was the remix ever available on iTunes?

Hi Jack, It wasn't given to Itunes because it was too long.

Very much looking forward to it, I just hope the CD won't be mastered as "hot" as volume 1!

Trust Me!!!!!! IT WASN'T

"I had the opportunity to see it released they wanted me to cut it down and I refused."

Right On Tom , If you gon do it ,do it right. You deserve that right. And because of that ,you should be thinking about that "BOOK" ' . In the words of Darth Vader , "It is your destiny" ,. I say that in jest , but with much respect. You are famous ,with those that can respect your work and that's what counts!! ONE!!

I keep saying this but I can't get enough of this album - you have to get it, I think my review copy is ahead of general release, so get your orders in. I'm lovin' Incompatible and Put Yourself In My Place and my little grandson who's only just two and a half is totally sold on Smartypants - I keep coming accross him whisepr/singing Smartypants - Smartypants. Roll on Volume 3. Oh why Tom didn't they let you have Motown Remixed - it would have been a smash

http://mfslinks.blogspot.com/2011/04...regrooved.html

a 14 minute clip with more info and sound bites!
    Last edited by jack020; 04-25-2011 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    I keep saying this but I can't get enough of this album - you have to get it, I think my review copy is ahead of general release, so get your orders in. I'm lovin' Incompatible and Put Yourself In My Place and my little grandson who's only just two and a half is totally sold on Smartypants - I keep coming accross him whisepr/singing Smartypants - Smartypants. Roll on Volume 3. Oh why Tom didn't they let you have Motown Remixed - it would have been a smash
    Hey Paul,

I can partially answer that, since I was the one who brought Tom in on Motown Remixed, lobbied fairly hard to get him more tracks....only to have his work excised from the US version. Thankfully the UK verison had that "Stoned Love". But that was easily the LEAST of the songs TM mixed at that period. Marvin Gaye, Miracles, Commodores.....I wanted it to be a more classic talent on classic tracks sort of thing. But not everybody agreed with my viewpoint on the project.

But the work has been done, TM has only done MORE work on Classic Motown tracks....and I suspect sooner than later one of the Universal Overseas branches will do a Moulton On Motown compilation. If the US does it- it will probably be an ITunes project.

IF.

But as busy as TM has been [[and will be- fairly important projects coming up) I suspect that all TM fans will be happy and will only consider the "lost Moulton mixes" one more nail in the coffin [[so to speak) of our industry. But they will move on.
    As I've said for YEARS to anybody who cared to listen- this was the number TWO reason why our industry does not sell physical product in large numbers anymore. If you are not actually SELLING what the people want....do not be surprised when they refuse enmasse to buy what you ARE selling....

Quote Originally Posted by honest opinions View Post
    I can partially answer that, since I was the one who brought Tom in on Motown Remixed, lobbied fairly hard to get him more tracks....only to have his work excised from the US version. Thankfully the UK verison had that "Stoned Love". But that was easily the LEAST of the songs TM mixed at that period. Marvin Gaye, Miracles, Commodores.....I wanted it to be a more classic talent on classic tracks sort of thing. But not everybody agreed with my viewpoint on the project.

But the work has been done, TM has only done MORE work on Classic Motown tracks....and I suspect sooner than later one of the Universal Overseas branches will do a Moulton On Motown compilation. If the US does it- it will probably be an ITunes project.
    Would have preferred that orientation - "old hands" working on the material w/ a sympathetic ear; other than TM, the only other remixes that bore repeated rinsings personally were by King Britt, DJ Spinna and Kenny Dope, who didn't try and force a personal signature on the songs [[the others involved may have been better served by producing their own renditions of the material instead of butchering them clumsily). In fact, by attempting to be attuned to current fad-ish dispositions at the time, the album sounds painfully dated apart from the names cited above.

Also makes one wonder why Big Break Records didn't recruit the services of the still active Herb "Pump" Powers, Jr. to remaster their reissue catalog from the get go as opposed to Kevin Reeves, who has been universally panned for his remastering work of the Gloria Gaynor titles on that Cherry Red subsidiary.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern003 View Post
    Would have preferred that orientation - "old hands" working on the material w/ a sympathetic ear; other than TM, the only other remixes that bore repeated rinsings personally were by King Britt, DJ Spinna and Kenny Dope, who didn't try and force a personal signature on the songs [[the others involved may have been better served by producing their own renditions of the material instead of butchering them clumsily). In fact, by attempting to be attuned to current fad-ish dispositions at the time, the album sounds painfully dated apart from the names cited above.

Also makes one wonder why Big Break Records didn't recruit the services of the still active Herb "Pump" Powers, Jr. to remaster their reissue catalog from the get go as opposed to Kevin Reeves, who has been universally panned for his remastering work of the Gloria Gaynor titles on that Cherry Red subsidiary.
    In defense of Kevin Reeves. He was originally panned for ONE Gloria Gaynor title. Not both. And he did much more excellent work for them on other titles so why does the ONE bad title seem to take precedent over all the other excellent ones?

One answer is because people confuse ONE things with all things. Another is because people repeat what they have been told- often without checking it themselves. It's an easier soundbyte to say KR messed up one title and thus they are ALL bad- Than it is to say....One title was bad- the rest are excellent. Truth is, THAT sentence isn't even worth a post- who would read it? It's not confrontational, it's not nasty....but it was what happened.

And it's never too late to contact ANYBODY to remaster albums for any label. The producers just have to do it.
    May I suggest that you contact Wayne Dickson @ BBR and make the suggestion? Truth is he may not have thought of it. I know myself.....I didnt even think of it and I was having a mastering conversation today myself. So, you gave ME an idea too. But then HPP,Jr. is still in-demand and last time I looked he was mastering A-list product for the labels. He might not fit into the BUDGET of a reissue label. Even a [[so-called) bad selling Mariah Carey album still sells a 100,000. A BBR Pointer Sisters reissue may sell 2-3000? Big difference in funds to spend on engineers.

The 3 talents you mentioned above were great guys who turned in great work on Motown Remixed. I agree with you 100%.