[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    This topic is being discussed on another forum.
    It is clear to me that Carol Kaye is very talented and played on many great recordings.
    It is also clear that she is on many Motown recordings cut in LA.
    However she is clearly mistaken/ confused as to what recordings she is on. Apparently she kept a 'diary' listing her work.
    Unfortunately ,in relation to her claims to be on classic 'Motown Hits' the recordings she quotes are cover versions [[ eg Supremes a go-go) , NOT the original hit records.
    She clearly recorded tracks on many Motown artists...but these tracks are lp tracks and projects like DRATS Disney, Christmas...MOR sets etc.
    The problem is that her incorrect insistence that she os on the hit versions had brought upon herself ridicule, anger and some abuse.
    Now...is she just confused or deliberately making false claims .
    By making these claims, despite all evidence to the contrary, she has brought unwarranted claims about Jamerson's legacy. That has brought reprisals.
    IMO she is confused and in error.
    Sadly this is a case of "if the truth clashes with the myth...print the myth'
    Last edited by snakepit; 10-07-2020 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    This topic is being discussed on another forum.
    It is clear to me that Carol Kaye is very talented and played on many great recordings.
    It is also clear that she is on many Motown recordings cut in LA.
    However she is clearly mistaken/ confused as to what recordings she is on. Apparently she kept a 'diary' listing her work.
    Unfortunately ,in relation to her claims to be on classic 'Motown Hits' the recordings she quotes are cover versions [[ eg Supremes a go-go) , NOT the original hit records.
    She clearly recorded tracks on many Motown artists...but these tracks are lp tracks and projects like DRATS Disney, Christmas...MOR sets etc.
    The problem is that her incorrect insistence that she os on the hit versions had brought upon herself ridicule, anger and some abuse.
    Now...is she just confused or deliberately making false claims .
    By making these claims, despite all evidence to the contrary, she has brought unwarranted claims about Jamerson's legacy. That has brought reprisals.
    IMO she is confused and in error.
    Sadly this is a case of "if the truth clashes with the myth...print the myth'
    I think I like Carol. I want to like Carol. I certainly respect her as a musician. So I want to believe she is just confusing herself about what tracks she's played on. The Easy way to verify her claims, you'd think, would have been to have her play those iconic bass lines when this initially started and see if she actually COULD play those lines.

As fas as being confused about her own work, it reminds me of something that happened to friends of mine once. The wife saw a picture of her husband with another woman. He denied it over and over until she blew sky high. She demanded to know how he could sit there and deny it. He took out a magnifying glass and had her look at the picture again. The other woman was no other woman. It was her. Wearing an outfit she forgot she even owned.

See how the mind can trick us?
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 10-07-2020 at 08:28 PM.