Thinking it over, do you think Diana Ross could have hit the heights she did without the framework of the Supremes to launch her? She would have had success, she had a unique voice and was very exotic looking visually in the outfits that she wore but I think she developed them through the framework of the group. As Mary Wilson points out, the three of them had different personalities which gave the group a roundness-something for everyone. Diana learned from others and her groupmates to embellish upon her talents and when they went from hit makers to established stars with Cindy replacing Florence-she was the focal point but was still learning and growing so that when she left the group she had established confidence and an awareness of everything she could accomplish. I think had she started as a solo act, she would have garnered attention but the Supremes framework really helped launch her into a solo career. I don't think she would have been quite so big had she not been in the Supremes-it was like a college course that she used to learn and grow. To be honest, even Mary used it to learn and grow to become a solo artist from a background singer. Any opinions on this topic? And, no, this is not to disparage anyone's talent or to cause drama on here-just an observation. Even Diana told oprah, they were wonderful growth years.