[REMOVE ADS]




Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 151 to 200 of 249
  1. #151
    Quote Originally Posted by mem1320 View Post
    I'd love to have heard what the Holland boys and Lamont had in mind lyric-wise for 'It's All Over'. And what the Isleys' would have made of it. What a fabulous track!
    I wish that they had gotten around to recording that track just think how amazing it would have been

  2. #152
    Paul
    I have yet to get my copy...one or two domestic distractions , but will order later this week.
    I'll be happy with the sound I'm sure.

  3. #153
    just ordered a copy

  4. #154
    Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    just ordered a copy
    Christmas come early - something special for the semi lockdown

  5. #155
    Surely you're not suggesting CFOM vol 5 is a Turkey ...ha ha ha


    Dropped Caroline an email...expect them to contact you wanting to know who The Lewis Sisters are!!!

  6. #156
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    I wish that they had gotten around to recording that track just think how amazing it would have been
    Paul -- Has it definitely been established that no vocal version of 'It's All Over' exists? Such a crying shame if not. The standout track on Vol 5 IMHO. Best, Ray

  7. #157
    Loving my CFOM5. Slightly puzzled that tracks are still unreleased (till now) from years for which Motown Unreleased sets have been issued. If the idea of MU is to preserve copyright why not include the lot for each year? I'm not understanding how it works obviously. Mind you so long as we keep getting quality sets no one's complaining.

  8. #158
    Quote Originally Posted by mem1320 View Post
    Paul -- Has it definitely been established that no vocal version of 'It's All Over' exists? Such a crying shame if not. The standout track on Vol 5 IMHO. Best, Ray
    Believe you me if there had been one I would have found it - I love it as much as you do - mind you with Motown I always say - never say never - but in this case I think is almost certain never is the word to use.

  9. #159
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Loving my CFOM5. Slightly puzzled that tracks are still unreleased (till now) from years for which Motown Unreleased sets have been issued. If the idea of MU is to preserve copyright why not include the lot for each year? I'm not understanding how it works obviously. Mind you so long as we keep getting quality sets no one's complaining.
    Although I can't really answer for the MU series I do know that finding some tracks is almost accidental - that has happened a lot during the long process of looking for and selecting COM tracks - Lead Me And Guide for instance was ordered up to listen to and turned out to be the infamous - I Got A Right To Cry what a bonus that was and so when the guys do MU?? it's easy when doing such a huge job to miss a couple of tracks and then there is the physical state of each tape - costs of mastering could also come into play - I'm not sure but I'm so glad they do as we would never get another COM again. Plus I'm not so sure they are as interested in the band tracks as I am and you guys are the three on the current set were perfect for the release.

  10. #160
    Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    Surely you're not suggesting CFOM vol 5 is a Turkey ...ha ha ha


    Dropped Caroline an email...expect them to contact you wanting to know who The Lewis Sisters are!!!
    No I don't think there's anybody (well almost nobody) who thinks this is a turkey - oh The Lewis Sisters - right up my street.

  11. #161
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 945
Size:  21.1 KB
    "Only You(Can Love Me Like You Love Me)" was a demo to be used by The '70s Supremes on their 1976 LP. So. If Brian recorded it, it had to be after he and Eddie, and Lamont returned to Motown. I'm getting ever more senile, and had to wipe out everything from my computer other than what was on it when I bought it because of spyware. Can anyone here please give me the URL for the website that lists all the data on Motown's recordings? I'd appreciate that very much.
    Last edited by robb_k; 09-23-2020 at 12:09 PM.

  12. #162
    Do you mean this Rob?

    http://www.dftmc.info

  13. #163
    Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 945
Size:  21.1 KB
    "Only You(Can Love Me Like You Love Me)" was a demo to be used by The '70s Supremes on their 1976 LP. So. If Brian recorded it, it had to be after he and Eddie, and Lamont returned to Motown. I'm getting ever more senile, and had to wipe out everything from my computer other than what was on it when I bought it because of spyware. Can anyone here please give me the URL for the website that lists all the data on Motown's recordings? I'd appreciate that very much.
    This Only You is the Platters one time hit.....

  14. #164
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    Believe you me if there had been one I would have found it - I love it as much as you do - mind you with Motown I always say - never say never - but in this case I think is almost certain never is the word to use.
    Thanks, Paul. Another of the COM5 tracks that's getting a lot of plays here is the wonderful Paul Williams led version of Smokey's 'Then' with Melvin's bass voice in one channel and the rest of the group harmonising in the other. An absolute peach of a track!

  15. #165
    Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Do you mean this Rob?

    http://www.dftmc.info
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  21.1 KB
    Yes! Keith Hughes' website. Thanks very much!

  16. #166
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    This Only You is the Platters one time hit.....
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 907
Size:  21.1 KB
    Then, it must have been recorded between 1959 and 1962. I don't think Brian recorded for Motown later than that. He stopped his singing career, so he could concentrate on production. But, I doubt that he even recorded "Only You" in 1963, as a demo for Sammy Turner, as the latter would have had his own idea of how he would sing that famous song that everyone could sing 'by heart'. The only Motown recording listed on "DFTMC" by Brian is Mary Wells' "Old Love(Let's Try It Again)", which may well have been a demo for Mary to use to prepare for her version. If Motown was considering releasing records on Brian, they would have had him record more than one song. And if he, himself, wished to continue his solo singing career, he would have insisted they allow him to record more than one "test" song.
    Last edited by robb_k; 09-23-2020 at 08:06 PM.

  17. #167
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    This Only You is the Platters one time hit.....
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 888
Size:  21.1 KB
    Finding an unreleased Brian Holland Motown solo recording is incredibly unexpected. It must be very old. I'd guess 1959 or 1960, especially because that was before Motown started building up a large stock of in-house written songs, and before Brian started concentrating heavily on producing. Can you tell us when this recording was made, who produced it, and in what form was it found (master tape, other random tape, Motown in-house vinyl demo record, Jobete Music proof-of-ownership acetate, Motown in-house acetate)? There is no entry for it on Don't Forget The Motor City's website's list of recordings' song titles.
    Last edited by robb_k; 09-24-2020 at 02:36 AM.

  18. #168
    Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 888
Size:  21.1 KB
    Finding an unreleased Brian Holland Motown solo recording is incredibly unexpected. It must be very old. I'd guess 1959 or 1960, especially because that was before Motown started building up a large stock of in-house written songs, and before Brian started concentrating heavily on producing. Can you tell us when this recording was made, who produced it, and in what form was it found (master tape, other random tape, Motown in-house vinyl demo record, Jobete Music proof-of-ownership acetate, Motown in-house acetate)? There is no entry for it on Don't Forget The Motor City's website's list of recordings' song titles.
    It was indeed an unexpected find and was found residing on the Connie Haines version 8 track. Originally recorded at the Graystone Ballroom with Bobby Breen on lead vocal 27th March 1964 - Connie's vocal was added on July 25 1965 - Brian''s vocal being added somewhere between those dates. There is no entry for this on DFTMC as until I discovered this for COM5 there was no indication of it's existence.

  19. #169
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    It was indeed an unexpected find and was found residing on the Connie Haines version 8 track. Originally recorded at the Graystone Ballroom with Bobby Breen on lead vocal 27th March 1964 - Connie's vocal was added on July 25 1965 - Brian''s vocal being added somewhere between those dates. There is no entry for this on DFTMC as until I discovered this for COM5 there was no indication of it's existence.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  21.1 KB
    Thanks Paul. What a surprise. Probably from mid-to-late 1964, I'd wager. I'm eager to hear it.

  20. #170
    Is there any way I can hear snippets of the songs. I’m eager to hear Eddie’s take on “There’s No Love Left” one of my favorite Motown era Isley Bros songs.

  21. #171
    Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    Is there any way I can hear snippets of the songs. I’m eager to hear Eddie’s take on “There’s No Love Left” one of my favorite Motown era Isley Bros songs.
    Don't think any site has posted excerpts yet

  22. #172
    Juno Records has 30 second snippets

  23. #173
    Quote Originally Posted by nevertoolate View Post
    Juno Records has 30 second snippets
    https://www.juno.co.uk/products/a-ce...e-5/789779-01/

  24. #174
    This is great news and will hopefully make a few more sales

  25. #175
    As Diana Ross sang, I'm Still Waiting for my copy to arrive

  26. #176
    Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    As Diana Ross sang, I'm Still Waiting for my copy to arrive
    Oh no from Amazon??

  27. #177
    Would anyone be kind enough to provide me with an e-mail address for Caroline International Records where I can send a note about my appreciation for and loving of this CD set? I went to their website and the doesn't seem to be a blatant link for "contact us--click here!" with an e-mail address. I'd prefer to send my message to the right place rather then 'into the void.' THANKS!

    P.S. Paul--you did a terrific job on this set. SO great to hear these tracks (some finally pristine, some for the first time) and to get stereo mixes where the digital releases had only included mono! Here's hoping you get the opportunity to do Cellarful 6--and not in 10 more years!

  28. #178
    I can well remember playing "There's No Love Left" by The Isley Brothers and The Four Tops on their albums when they were first released. I was captivated by that song's deceptive simplicity coupled with the intriguing vocal and musical arrangements. Still play them regularly to this day, so you can imagine how thrilled I was to have the Eddie Holland version some 50 years on from those other versions. I highly rate Eddie Holland as a singer, and whilst financially he unquestionably made the right decision to commit to composing and production, I do think we lost a great vocal talent. For me, it is the top track on what is a great compilation. Thanks to everyone involved in bringing out this release, and I found the sound to be of exceptional quality as is the booklet.

    Mike

  29. #179
    Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    Would anyone be kind enough to provide me with an e-mail address for Caroline International Records where I can send a note about my appreciation for and loving of this CD set? I went to their website and the doesn't seem to be a blatant link for "contact us--click here!" with an e-mail address. I'd prefer to send my message to the right place rather then 'into the void.' THANKS!

    P.S. Paul--you did a terrific job on this set. SO great to hear these tracks (some finally pristine, some for the first time) and to get stereo mixes where the digital releases had only included mono! Here's hoping you get the opportunity to do Cellarful 6--and not in 10 more years!
    I am so pleased you are liking it when I read very early comments (albeit from I believe an ignorance standpoint) I was very downhearted and thought maybe the wheels had come off so to hear these comments is amazing.
    If you would care to drop a line to info@caroline.com I'm sure they would appreciate it as much as I will - thanks again.

  30. #180
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    I can well remember playing "There's No Love Left" by The Isley Brothers and The Four Tops on their albums when they were first released. I was captivated by that song's deceptive simplicity coupled with the intriguing vocal and musical arrangements. Still play them regularly to this day, so you can imagine how thrilled I was to have the Eddie Holland version some 50 years on from those other versions. I highly rate Eddie Holland as a singer, and whilst financially he unquestionably made the right decision to commit to composing and production, I do think we lost a great vocal talent. For me, it is the top track on what is a great compilation. Thanks to everyone involved in bringing out this release, and I found the sound to be of exceptional quality as is the booklet.

    Mike
    Thanks Mike appreciated .....

  31. #181
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    Oh no from Amazon??
    It is Paul

  32. #182
    My review on Amazon...

    This was a fantastic surprise release coming 10 years after the previous volume (4). The Cellarful series has been a revelation for every discerning Motown fan - each compilation providing many many tracks of previously unreleased work from a vast spectrum of artists, writers and producers. The series has featured lesser known artists as well as the artists you'd most readily associate with Motown and the latest volume does not disappoint in that regard. Listen to unreleased work by Martha Reeves and the Vandellas, Jimmy Ruffin and The Temptations, marvel at the breadth of talent that was on the Motown roster, with great tracks from R Dean Taylor, Terry Johnson, Edwin Starr, Marvin Gaye and Kim Weston and Brenda Holloway alongside 30 other artists who's names will become firm favourites should you not know them already. Because make no mistake the quality of the music here as as good as anything you will have heard previosuly from this legendary record label. The sound quality is stunning too with clear and sharp stereo - you can hear everything clearly. Motown definitely has benefitted from the digital age and the fans have too because it has enabled the release of hundreds of unreleased tracks that have been freed from the Motown vaults. This is yesterdays music heard with today's technology and it all sounds wonderful. On this release you get 43 tracks of pure gold at a bargain price as well. It's a no brainer - this is one for your collection and will bring hours and hours of listening pleasure and you will want to check out all the volumes in this series. What are you waiting for?

  33. #183
    I second that emotion!

    I thought I’d enjoy that collection just because it existed.
    But it turned out to be a fantastic Motown album, as great as the earlier volumes of the COM series. I enjoy it maybe even more than any other recent Motown from the vaults releases.
    So many HDH while we thought we had heard them all, 2 duets with Marvin not on any other cd before. Remember when we thought the run had run dry on those? Ditto with a couple of classic Temptations tracks.
    And there’s Martha, Gladys, Edwin, Brenda, Blinky.
    Not forgetting some of my favourite tracks ever by Little Lisa, Billy Eckstine, Barbara McNair or R Dean Taylor.
    Well I can’t praise this set as much as it deserved to be praised.
    And for those, like me, who complained about Motown going digital only for many releases, how could we pass on this COM5 just because we’ve heard most of it online before?
    Back in the mid 90’s, we’d rush to get some Motown Legends CDs just to have ONE 70’s track never on cd before, or the new Anthology double CDs for just one or two new cuts, and we were glad to spend 25$ just for that.
    Same amount of money and you get 2 copies of COM5, full of 40+ 60’s tracks new to cd...

    Dream come true...

    Thanks to all of those involved and please bring us more ;-)

    JB

  34. #184
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    It was indeed an unexpected find and was found residing on the Connie Haines version 8 track. Originally recorded at the Graystone Ballroom with Bobby Breen on lead vocal 27th March 1964 - Connie's vocal was added on July 25 1965 - Brian''s vocal being added somewhere between those dates. There is no entry for this on DFTMC as until I discovered this for COM5 there was no indication of it's existence.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  21.1 KB
    Upon listening to the snippets, I was shocked to hear an up-tempo version of The Platters' "Only You", for the first time.

  35. #185
    Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    It is Paul
    Looks like they keep very nearly running out of stock - just one copy left again this morning.

  36. #186
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    I am so pleased you are liking it when I read very early comments (albeit from I believe an ignorance standpoint) I was very downhearted and thought maybe the wheels had come off so to hear these comments is amazing.
    If you would care to drop a line to info@caroline.com I'm sure they would appreciate it as much as I will - thanks again.
    Mr. Nixon, The wheels have most certainly not come off, and I am willing to provide a spare if it is ever needed by continuing to buy future releases. If the artists and all the others involved are pleased to have these buried treasures released, then I am more than happy to add them to my collection rather than to have them left outside our reach. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, however, personally, I am more than pleased with the sound, presentation and overall quality of COM5, a worthy addition to my ever-growing collection. I wish you and "Caroline" well in hopefully future productions.

  37. #187
    Paul, I concur with all those who have expressed their gratitude for the care and devotion with which you and those who work alongside you have exhibited in providing us with the A Cellarful Of Motown collections and especially this most recent edition. I am extremely appreciative of the amount of stereo mixes and alternate versions that have been lovingly included along with the previously unreleased selections. And it is always a bonus to receive the little tidbits/revelations that the writer of the booklet includes. (I hope that they are hints of versions that will be included in future volumes). I pray that this series may continue for many, many years. Once again, take a bow, all involved and above all 'Keep 'Em Coming'.

  38. #188
    OMG on this collection there are a lot of precious recordings, I love "in your heart" it has a very dark special atmospheric and is not typical Motown,it´s really a sophiticated song !

    I like to hear Barbara McNair in this double voiced track song, it´s amazing. And the Tempations version of "Then" has a breathless vocal Arrangement. And I am suprised to hear Frank Wilson "A toast to a Lady"

    And I would like to know if another Version excists of "I wish I liked you" by a black female Motown Artist ?

  39. #189
    Just chiming in from Detroit to say thank you for keeping the "Cellarful" series going. I can't wait for this latest installment to arrive!

  40. #190
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    Believe you me if there had been one I would have found it - I love it as much as you do - mind you with Motown I always say - never say never - but in this case I think is almost certain never is the word to use.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  21.1 KB
    They keep coming up with new, totally unexpected finds every year. How can you be so sure there is almost no chance of finding anything now?

  41. #191
    Just received the Cellarful 5 set today. I'm more amazed by the fact that despite so many of these tracks having been released previously (on Motown Unreleased and other sets), there are only 4 out of how many duplicated tracks that aren't appearing in a new mix. That's pretty impressive, and definitely makes the set worth having even though there's a lot of repetition here. It's yet another feather in the cap for those who made this set possible. Thanks yet again for another incredible set.

    DJ Moch

  42. #192
    Quote Originally Posted by DJMoch View Post
    Just received the Cellarful 5 set today. I'm more amazed by the fact that despite so many of these tracks having been released previously (on Motown Unreleased and other sets), there are only 4 out of how many duplicated tracks that aren't appearing in a new mix. That's pretty impressive, and definitely makes the set worth having even though there's a lot of repetition here. It's yet another feather in the cap for those who made this set possible. Thanks yet again for another incredible set.

    DJ Moch
    This was a conscious decision on my part, as previous volumes had (in the main) been unreleased. During the release and clearance schedule on the set many of the scheduled tracks were popping up on Motown Unreleased or other label sets. To have replaced the tracks with new ones would have been too difficult to contemplate and so rather than release something that had so many duplicates I decided to get the duplicated tracks remixed and so make this volume relatively unique again. There are as you say 4 tracks that were impossible to remix and so these were left as they were originally.

  43. #193
    I’m pleased to say that my COM5 arrived today. I’m delighted with every aspect of it, packaging, track information, selection of tracks and the sound quality.

    Well done to all involved, especially Paul. In this dreadful year and the general Motown release drought, this release is very welcome.

  44. #194
    Brian Holland's voice sounds so much like his brother's; I wonder if they ever thought of doing a duet together.

    Paul,
    And speaking of duets, if you're looking for candidates for inclusion on COM6, I don't think the alternate version of Brenda Holloway's "Tell Me Your Story", where it turns into a duet with an unknown male at the fadeout, has ever been released.

  45. #195
    Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Brian Holland's voice sounds so much like his brother's; I wonder if they ever thought of doing a duet together.

    Paul,
    And speaking of duets, if you're looking for candidates for inclusion on COM6, I don't think the alternate version of Brenda Holloway's "Tell Me Your Story", where it turns into a duet with an unknown male at the fadeout, has ever been released.

    I'll second that request. 'I love it, I love it, I love it'

  46. #196
    Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Brian Holland's voice sounds so much like his brother's; I wonder if they ever thought of doing a duet together.

    Paul,
    And speaking of duets, if you're looking for candidates for inclusion on COM6, I don't think the alternate version of Brenda Holloway's "Tell Me Your Story", where it turns into a duet with an unknown male at the fadeout, has ever been released.
    Need to investigate that not sure I've ever heard it

  47. #197
    Received my copy today and just finished listening to it for the first time and the experience was just awesome. What a great selection of tracks (and so many from my favorite Motown Era (1962-1966). The sound quality is great and the packaging is beautifully done with so much vital track information filling every available space. It is obviously a labor of love and one of the best of the Cellarful series. Much thanks to all involved.

  48. #198
    I keep returning to this set for another listen. I love the new and alternate mixes. One question :
    At 1:11 of Hold Me Oh My Darling the word 'baby' is not sung by Ann Bogan but by a male voice. I assume it's Harvey Fuqua. Can any of our golden-ear British cousins verify whose voice it is.

    Thanks

  49. #199
    A subsequent question for which we shall likely never know the answer. Why the substitution for just that one word? Perhaps Ann did not hit it accurately; perhaps something happen with the tape for a split second, and if it did, when discovered, why not have Ann re-record the word and punch it in rather than substitute a male voice?
    I remember reading here at SD that Ann was living in Cleveland and had no interest in the music industry any longer. So it's unlikely she would answer the question even if she could remember things from that far back. Oh well, another Motown mystery (at least to me) !

  50. #200
    Brenda Holloway's "You Got A Little Bit Of Everything" was written by The Lewis Sisters (and if you didn't know I think you might guess it's one of theirs). Seems a little odd that it was produced in Hitsville by Harvey Fuqua and Johnny Bristol. Was it maybe meant for another artist - Tammi Terrell perhaps?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.