[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    I like your point of view on "Sweet Talking Guy." I've heard lots of sour grapes about this song and I think it misses the point entirely. I keep going back to something someone posted here some years ago about these vaulted songs. He made a remark that some of these were never meant to be released. They were either works in progress, scratch vocals or just deemed not up to snuff. So that's why I appreciate that we get to hear these, whether or not we like an individual song. STG was kept in the can for a point and so it's kinda pointless to gut and torpedo a song because it doesn't suit your ears. It was something HDH tried. Nobody is gonna hit it out of the park every single time.

That's why I like what you said; "it's pretty evident why these were kept in the can), but it's always nice to have these treasures in an official collection like this." That's how I feel. Sure, there are songs that maybe someone doesn't like but I like having the choice of hearing it anyway and gaining yet more insight into how Motown operated.
    Does no one else find it intriguing that HDH was working with the Marvelettes in mid-June 1966? Like how did that happen? Were there any other HDH tracks done by the Marvelettes? Besides the Darnell experiment?

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    Does no one else find it intriguing that HDH was working with the Marvelettes in mid-June 1966? Like how did that happen? Were there any other HDH tracks done by the Marvelettes? Besides the Darnell experiment?
    Besides the 1963 single LOCKING UP MY HEART and some b-sides, Holland and Dozier produced BAREFOOTIN' and MESSAGE TO MICHAEL on the group's 1967 self-titled album. Also tracks like I HOPE YOU HAVE BETTER LUCK THAN I DID and FINDERS KEEPERS, LOSER WEEPERS.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    ................... Holland and Dozier produced BAREFOOTIN' and MESSAGE TO MICHAEL on the group's 1967 self-titled album. Also tracks like I HOPE YOU HAVE BETTER LUCK THAN I DID and FINDERS KEEPERS, LOSER WEEPERS.
    According to DFTMC, Barefootin' and Message To Michael were both completed on May 24, 1966 ; I Hope You Have Better Luck Than I Did on June 22, 1966 and Finders Keepers, Losers Weepers on April 15, 1964. So HDH were working with the Marvelettes even in late June.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    According to DFTMC, Barefootin' and Message To Michael were both completed on May 24, 1966 ; I Hope You Have Better Luck Than I Did on June 22, 1966 and Finders Keepers, Losers Weepers on April 15, 1964. So HDH were working with the Marvelettes even in late June.
    So HDH was working with the group around the time of Where Did Our Love Go in early '64?

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    I do remember that I was excited when I found out HDH had produced Barefootin' and Message To Michael for The Pink Album. And I too wondered how that came about. Later I read that HDH did I Hope You Have Better Luck Than I Did with the intent of coming up with a potential follow up to [[I think) Don't Mess With Bill. It seems after "Bill" the Marvelettes became something of a priority, even if briefly. Very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    I do remember that I was excited when I found out HDH had produced Barefootin' and Message To Michael for The Pink Album. And I too wondered how that came about. Later I read that HDH did I Hope You Have Better Luck Than I Did with the intent of coming up with a potential follow up to [[I think) Don't Mess With Bill. It seems after "Bill" the Marvelettes became something of a priority, even if briefly. Very interesting.
    Amazing news on the day of release it sits at number 17 in the top 100 Amazon Compilations sales charts well done guys and thanks for your support

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    Amazing news on the day of release it sits at number 17 in the top 100 Amazon Compilations sales charts well done guys and thanks for your support
    Oh WOW! That is EXCELLENT news! It really is what's in the grooves that counts!