[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    A subsequent question for which we shall likely never know the answer. Why the substitution for just that one word? Perhaps Ann did not hit it accurately; perhaps something happen with the tape for a split second, and if it did, when discovered, why not have Ann re-record the word and punch it in rather than substitute a male voice?
    I remember reading here at SD that Ann was living in Cleveland and had no interest in the music industry any longer. So it's unlikely she would answer the question even if she could remember things from that far back. Oh well, another Motown mystery [[at least to me) !
    Well Ann B. did give an interview for the UNSUNG episode on the Marvelettes, so you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    Well Ann B. did give an interview for the UNSUNG episode on the Marvelettes, so you never know.
    Well, after a little research, I can now partly answer my original question. The Complete Motown Singles Collection Volume 5's write-up for Tammi's version of Hold Me Oh My Darling states that although first recorded by Ann, it was then dubbed as a duet by Ann & Harvey [[Fuqua). I suppose there was a small glitch with that word in Ann's original recording, so Harvey may have simply spliced in that word from the duet version, assuming he sang that line in the duet performance.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    Well, after a little research, I can now partly answer my original question. The Complete Motown Singles Collection Volume 5's write-up for Tammi's version of Hold Me Oh My Darling states that although first recorded by Ann, it was then dubbed as a duet by Ann & Harvey [[Fuqua). I suppose there was a small glitch with that word in Ann's original recording, so Harvey may have simply spliced in that word from the duet version, assuming he sang that line in the duet performance.
    Has anyone ever heard the Ann and Harvey version?

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    Has anyone ever heard the Ann and Harvey version?
    Well - I can say because I have heard it that Ann sings the word baby at 1.11 on the duet version and it sounds fine so why it would have been substituted on the solo version is a mystery - needs looking into further...

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    Well - I can say because I have heard it that Ann sings the word baby at 1.11 on the duet version and it sounds fine so why it would have been substituted on the solo version is a mystery - needs looking into further...
    I've been listening more carefully and I think Ann sings baby on the COM version it's just that she shifts the pitch of her voice to a very low place on that word and raises it again slowly on the rest of the phrase. I could be wrong but it's like that on all the tapes of the song.