[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1239
Size:  21.1 KB
    "Only You[[Can Love Me Like You Love Me)" was a demo to be used by The '70s Supremes on their 1976 LP. So. If Brian recorded it, it had to be after he and Eddie, and Lamont returned to Motown. I'm getting ever more senile, and had to wipe out everything from my computer other than what was on it when I bought it because of spyware. Can anyone here please give me the URL for the website that lists all the data on Motown's recordings? I'd appreciate that very much.
    This Only You is the Platters one time hit.....

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
Views: 1232
    Then, it must have been recorded between 1959 and 1962. I don't think Brian recorded for Motown later than that. He stopped his singing career, so he could concentrate on production. But, I doubt that he even recorded "Only You" in 1963, as a demo for Sammy Turner, as the latter would have had his own idea of how he would sing that famous song that everyone could sing 'by heart'. The only Motown recording listed on "DFTMC" by Brian is Mary Wells' "Old Love[[Let's Try It Again)", which may well have been a demo for Mary to use to prepare for her version. If Motown was considering releasing records on Brian, they would have had him record more than one song. And if he, himself, wished to continue his solo singing career, he would have insisted they allow him to record more than one "test" song.
    Last edited by robb_k; 09-23-2020 at 08:06 PM.

Views: 1185
    Finding an unreleased Brian Holland Motown solo recording is incredibly unexpected. It must be very old. I'd guess 1959 or 1960, especially because that was before Motown started building up a large stock of in-house written songs, and before Brian started concentrating heavily on producing. Can you tell us when this recording was made, who produced it, and in what form was it found [[master tape, other random tape, Motown in-house vinyl demo record, Jobete Music proof-of-ownership acetate, Motown in-house acetate)? There is no entry for it on Don't Forget The Motor City's website's list of recordings' song titles.
    Last edited by robb_k; 09-24-2020 at 02:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 1185
    Finding an unreleased Brian Holland Motown solo recording is incredibly unexpected. It must be very old. I'd guess 1959 or 1960, especially because that was before Motown started building up a large stock of in-house written songs, and before Brian started concentrating heavily on producing. Can you tell us when this recording was made, who produced it, and in what form was it found [[master tape, other random tape, Motown in-house vinyl demo record, Jobete Music proof-of-ownership acetate, Motown in-house acetate)? There is no entry for it on Don't Forget The Motor City's website's list of recordings' song titles.
    It was indeed an unexpected find and was found residing on the Connie Haines version 8 track. Originally recorded at the Graystone Ballroom with Bobby Breen on lead vocal 27th March 1964 - Connie's vocal was added on July 25 1965 - Brian''s vocal being added somewhere between those dates. There is no entry for this on DFTMC as until I discovered this for COM5 there was no indication of it's existence.

It was indeed an unexpected find and was found residing on the Connie Haines version 8 track. Originally recorded at the Graystone Ballroom with Bobby Breen on lead vocal 27th March 1964 - Connie's vocal was added on July 25 1965 - Brian''s vocal being added somewhere between those dates. There is no entry for this on DFTMC as until I discovered this for COM5 there was no indication of it's existence.
Views: 1098
    Thanks Paul. What a surprise. Probably from mid-to-late 1964, I'd wager. I'm eager to hear it.

Views: 907
    Upon listening to the snippets, I was shocked to hear an up-tempo version of The Platters' "Only You", for the first time.