[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    keep in mind George and Andy may or may not have much say in what gets the green light. if i had my choice, i too might pick something else from the vaults. But this does at least have some additional unreleased content so there is some value there. plus the digital book is said to be different

if this release shows strong sales, that could impact future releases. if this release does NOT have strong sales, that too could impact future releases
    I understand but it's been a slow boat to China. I do appreciate George and Andy's work along with all involved. It's just been so frustrating when you see a hundred re-issues of What's Going On, Beatles all over the place [[which is a good thing), and then there's Elvis. It seems The Supremes somehow lost their status in the history of music. I see so many "odd" releases from Real Gone and other labels which leave you scratching your head. But I know the rest of you are as eager as I am to actually see these expanded editions a bit quicker???

Quote Originally Posted by nathanj06 View Post
    I understand but it's been a slow boat to China. I do appreciate George and Andy's work along with all involved. It's just been so frustrating when you see a hundred re-issues of What's Going On, Beatles all over the place [[which is a good thing), and then there's Elvis. It seems The Supremes somehow lost their status in the history of music. I see so many "odd" releases from Real Gone and other labels which leave you scratching your head. But I know the rest of you are as eager as I am to actually see these expanded editions a bit quicker???
    agreed. you have the age-old problem of the Sups simply not being respected as artists. That they were a contrived vehicle for Diana. and while they were a platform for her launch into superstardom, it's unfortunate that the industry refuses to recognize their contribution. frankly even DR is slighted to some degree with this. If it wasn't for her massive number of hits, i bet the industry would poopoo her too. The fact that she and the group weren't "black enough" or didn't write their own content.

Absolutely...no doubt about it. But when it comes to the Supremes, we have been treated pretty well overall. I keep wondering what a deep dive into some of the other artists' catalogs would result in. The girl groups have been mined pretty thoroughly. We've had the two Marvelettes box sets which supposedly encompassed all their previously unreleased tracks. Martha and the Vandellas, too, have had several releases which included vault tracks [["Spellbound," the 3rd disk of the "50th Anniversary Singles"), but we really haven't had any expanded editions for the Temptations, the 4 Tops and even Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, although they've each had a "Lost and Found" and other tracks which have come out on several various artists packages. But I'd love to see some of the guys get the kind of attention the Supremes have got.

Maybe, after all, this goes to show that the Supremes truly were the flagship act at Motown, and the girl groups in general seem to typify the "Motown Sound." But it'd be great to see some of the guys get some equal time!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Absolutely...no doubt about it. But when it comes to the Supremes, we have been treated pretty well overall. I keep wondering what a deep dive into some of the other artists' catalogs would result in. The girl groups have been mined pretty thoroughly. We've had the two Marvelettes box sets which supposedly encompassed all their previously unreleased tracks. Martha and the Vandellas, too, have had several releases which included vault tracks [["Spellbound," the 3rd disk of the "50th Anniversary Singles"), but we really haven't had any expanded editions for the Temptations, the 4 Tops and even Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, although they've each had a "Lost and Found" and other tracks which have come out on several various artists packages. But I'd love to see some of the guys get the kind of attention the Supremes have got.

Maybe, after all, this goes to show that the Supremes truly were the flagship act at Motown, and the girl groups in general seem to typify the "Motown Sound." But it'd be great to see some of the guys get some equal time!
    i think it's also a matter of the Supremes [[while Diana was in the group) was not only the flagship but also Berry's key focus. he was looking for any and every outlet in which to promote and highlight them. And also constantly searching for any sound, style or song with could be a big hit. When you have a mega hit, it only makes sense to quickly push an album out to accompany it, so you'll need another 10 or so songs.

I'd guess that for every tune MRATV or the Tops or Miracles recorded, the Sups recorded 10. Plus they had so many concept albums being developed or considered. no one else had such a varied discography at motown. also i'm excluding the Christmas albums since EVERYONE in the world has one of those:

Tops - 1 specialty album
    Temps - 1 specialty album not counting the tv specials
    stevie - 2, tribute to uncle ray and with a song in my heart
    Marvin - 3, soulful moods, hello broadway, nat king cole
    Miracles - none
    MRATV - none
    Marvelettes - none

Supremes - 5 that were released

I agree that much is appreciated. The fact remains that the market for these expanded releases is not going to multiply as the years pass.. It’s just unfortunate that their fate remains in the seemingly disinterested hands of Universal execs.
    With the release of Funny Girl, there is a chink of light that waiting times may start to decrease.....Forever the optimist.