Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
While the flowery dresses are so out of character for the image of the group, I think the ladies look absolutely beautiful in them and come across as more earthy Supremes than the usual look. The original trio looked like the girls next door, even in gowns, up until about early 1966. At that point they started wearing a lot more sequins and beads and coming across like the stars they were. DRATS period stepped it up even more. JMC sort of rode the wave of DRATS leftover image with a mix of something new and hip. The flowery dresses to me signify exactly the way the Supremes should've been coming across at that point. The glamour thing was super old, unless you were Diana Ross. And I suspect that, for the public, had Diana remained with the Supremes as late as the JML period, the public would've tired of the look still. That age of the female group was old hat. JML could rely on their vocals without any need to continue the old image. I don't believe I've ever seen the flower dresses photo before, but it's instantly a fav of mine.

The "Lean On Me" shot is another great one. And I have to vehemently disagree with TYK about the look on Model Of the Year. That's the perfect glam image for that period in time, if the group was going to "glam" it up. It's not over the top and it's not homely. They look beautiful.
great points Ran. i too appreciate the look. would these ever be my favorite gowns and outfits - maybe not. but i do thing it was a fresh update. they were still wildly chic, which was the real point. think back to 66 and Diana really playing with the Vidal Sassoon and Rudy Gernreich looks with her wigs and personal clothing. so being willing to be ahead of the curve

with L and J, you really can see some of the opportunity to venture into more r&b. i've wondered if the girls couldn't have explored some glam hybrid of african gowns and robes. Diana did it with a sarong/mini dress in black red and green sequins and bugle beads. What if MJL had some fabulous gowns inspired by traditional african patterns and colors. they could have toys with some great headwear too besides just wigs. nothing costumey but venturing into new looks