[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The whole show was dedicated to the Jackson 5. Michael did Just a Little Bit of You and one day in your life. Hen thh hi e Jackson did Forever Came Today and All I Do is Think of You.
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Artists usually did at least two songs on SOUL TRAIN, sometimes even more. This seems to be their second performance on this particular appearance. Interviews usually came after they had performed at least one song. They might very well have done FOREVER CAME TODAY [[the a-side) earlier. ALL I DO... ended up charting on its own later.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    The whole show was dedicated to the Jackson 5. Michael did Just a Little Bit of You and one day in your life. Hen thh hi e Jackson did Forever Came Today and All I Do is Think of You.
    This explains another issue I was wondering about, I can't recall SOUL TRAIN making a habit of showing old footage [[ reese??), and this stood out to me that they did so on this show.

So then why the decision for this spotlight show airing at this time??? Who pushed for it? Certainly not Motown who was losing the group.... and likely not CBS with them performing tepidly successful Motown material....

And the five songs performed were not particularly showcase material ...they were not hot at this time --- as a group or Michael as a solo artist. Kind of curious ....
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 07-26-2020 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    This explains another issue I was wondering about, I can't recall SOUL TRAIN making a habit of showing old footage [[ reese??), and this stood out to me that they did so on this show.

So then why the decision for this spotlight show airing at this time??? Who pushed for it? Certainly not Motown who was losing the group.... and likely not CBS with them performing tepidly successful Motown material....

And the five songs performed were not particularly showcase material ...they were not hot at this time --- as a group or Michael as a solo artist. Kind of curious ....
    This is all conjecture on my part but I'm assuming this special episode with the Jackson 5 was probably initiated by Joe Jackson, who I believe was managing his sons at the time. It looks like this show aired in January of 1976. So this appearance [[amongst others, including their own CBS series) would keep the group in the spotlight until their first CBS release later that year. I remember many tv shows during this period where they sang FOREVER CAME TODAY. RIGHT ON! magazine even said something like "even though the group's music is at a standstill, their popularity is not."

And even though the group's rankings on the pop chart weren't what they were at the beginning of the decade, they were still charting well on the r&b chart, with FOREVER CAME TODAY and JUST A LITTLE BIT OF YOU becoming top 10 hits.

As for the showing of the Ed Sullivan clip, I don't think there's anything deep behind it besides showing how the guys were now young adults.