[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    It is a very good LP if you are a fan of the Harmonies....How Do You Do It? is cringe worthy….Minnie Mouse! my 2 other least favs are Cant Buy Me Love [[just don't like the song) and I Want To Hold Your Hand... I think its the pronunciation and singing of the word HAND that kills it for me. It is one of my fav Beatle songs
    The rest of the LP is all highlights for me...esp. You Can't Do That, World Without Love...I like Bits and Pieces...it just stomps along nicely...I also like Hang On Sloopy from A' Go-Go and that one gets a lot of flack too
    Yeah, I'm not a fan of "Sloopy", although the version on the expanded edition breathed some new life into it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Yeah, I'm not a fan of "Sloopy", although the version on the expanded edition breathed some new life into it for me.
    IMO the problem with Sloopy is the completely passionless and prim background vocals by M and F. To quote George Harrison "how could black girls from detroit be so square" lol Sloopy is meant to be a party song and you have some of the most bland vocalization by Flo and Mary. Imagine if during the bridge you had the girls actually start to break out a big, ad lib. and during the ending let the girls really go! then it would have worked.

it's as if they found Mrs Phyllis Weizmann and Mrs Harriett Ellis from the suburbs and had them come to the Motown studios to do guest vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    IMO the problem with Sloopy is the completely passionless and prim background vocals by M and F. To quote George Harrison "how could black girls from detroit be so square" lol Sloopy is meant to be a party song and you have some of the most bland vocalization by Flo and Mary. Imagine if during the bridge you had the girls actually start to break out a big, ad lib. and during the ending let the girls really go! then it would have worked.

it's as if they found Mrs Phyllis Weizmann and Mrs Harriett Ellis from the suburbs and had them come to the Motown studios to do guest vocals.
    LOL Yeah, that's one problem with it. The A Go-Go sessions are so spotty for Flo and Mary. On some they seem to be firing on all cylinders, such as "Satisfaction", "Mother Dear 66", "This Old Heart Of Mine", and then phoning it in on cuts like "Sloopy", "Blowin In the Wind", and "Money". Even "Can I Get A Witness" they come across a bit "slowly", which is interesting considering how they ripped into the background behind Marvin, although there is something to be said about the sound the group achieved with the three of them singing together vs only two.