[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    Wow! I have this box set and it slipped by me too. Generally I go for the stuff from '64 and after but this does sound really good. Gladys had such an instinct for delivery and Kat, Wanda and Georgeanna had a way of really filling out the backgrounds, kind of a vocal wall of sound.
    They show that they had a lot more talented than they are ever given credit for. They also were powerful singers. I wished they could have benefitted more from Motown's Artist Development and support from the company

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    They show that they had a lot more talented than they are ever given credit for. They also were powerful singers. I wished they could have benefitted more from Motown's Artist Development and support from the company
    I agree. The group was actually much more versatile than most realized. They could equally pull off a pop persona like the Sups but with much more grit and soul like Martha & The Vandellas. I recently came across an old music review from '68 and it was an appearance at the Apollo. The reviewer sorta lamented that the Marvelettes came off a bit too polished. He would rather that they would have moved a bit more. In fact, he remarked that a lot of the Motown artists seemed to not move very much. That was a surprise to read. So maybe Artist Development rounded off the ladies' edges a bit too much for some people's tastes.
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 07-10-2020 at 10:15 PM.