[REMOVE ADS]

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafalle View Post
    RCA had fallen out of love with her. When MTV were unenthusiastic about adding « Eaten Alive » to their playlists RCA could have called in a few favours. They didn’t. After all the arguments they had had with Diana about SE, R, SA and now EA, they decided to call it quits. She could see out her contract and go. There was no point in throwing good money after bad. « Eaten Alive » was the first lead single by Diana that was not serviced to pop radio. From then on, the American public didn’t, generally, know when she had a new record out. They were no longer played. And she was almost never on TV. RCA got her back for messing with them.
    Well MTV was known not to play a lot of videos by black artists. Even Michael Jackson and Prince had difficulties even getting their videos played. There was an interesting discussion about MTV a couple years back where I believe it was Michael Jackson's music label Epic threatened to pull all of their videos from MTV before they agreed to play his videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I think it relevant to mention that as Diana continued to reap further success in Europe, she must have doing something right.
    EA reached UK 11 with a number 1 hit single. WO 23, FBTP 11 with hit singles a plenty. TMH UK 10 with hit single. To add to this, her “One Woman”commemorative collection went multi platinum with another sprinkling of hit singles. Two Christmas albums also sold very well.
    Admittedly the USA is rather a large market lol, but it wasn’t all gloom and doom me thinks.
    I agree. None of Diana Ross's musical contemporaries had the pop chart success as DR. Not Aretha, not Dionne, not Gladys, not Tina, not Barbara, not Roberta. Were they all hugely successful? Absolutely. And while they may have all had more chart success than DR after 1985, it wasn't a sustained success, meaning multiple years and multiply hits. Nor would I say that any of those hits were really "career defining" hits [[not to take anything away from their success).

I think folks are being way too critical of DR's music from later in her career. Is it my favorite musical period of hers? No, but I still bought every single one of her albums. Some were more musically successful than others, every album had two or three songs on them that were excellent - except EA. I won't go into EA, I've made my thoughts known about this album more than enough times in other threads. Some folks seem to think that the shelf life of a top pop star is forever, when I think on average it fades fairly quickly. I've heard several artists of this generation say that commercial radio just do not play their new material. Which I think is very true. I just think its hard for most artists out of their twenties to be able to create music that relates to or interests young record buyers who are in their teens to their twenties. As an artists ages, so does their fan base, and I tend to believe that the older most people get the less records that they buy. The older you get the more your income goes to more pressing things like housing, student loans, children, cars...and less on things like what were once singles, albums, cds, concerts, etc, etc..

Another thing that folks overlook is the fact that DR remarried in the mid-80s and had two sons! DR was never going to be on the road and recording and promoting her material like she did when she was a Supreme. For goodness sake she was a mother to FIVE children! It wasn't long after her two songs were born that her older three daughters were leaving for college.

Perhaps that should read as far as the AMERICAN public were concerned Rafalle. Throughout Europe Diana was still clocking up the hits .
    I was living in Paris during this period. I never once heard her on the radio. Her music was DOA in France as it was in America. In the UK she had more success.

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    I agree. None of Diana Ross's musical contemporaries had the pop chart success as DR. Not Aretha, not Dionne, not Gladys, not Tina, not Barbara, not Roberta. Were they all hugely successful? Absolutely. And while they may have all had more chart success than DR after 1985, it wasn't a sustained success, meaning multiple years and multiply hits. Nor would I say that any of those hits were really "career defining" hits [[not to take anything away from their success).

I think folks are being way too critical of DR's music from later in her career. Is it my favorite musical period of hers? No, but I still bought every single one of her albums. Some were more musically successful than others, every album had two or three songs on them that were excellent - except EA. I won't go into EA, I've made my thoughts known about this album more than enough times in other threads. Some folks seem to think that the shelf life of a top pop star is forever, when I think on average it fades fairly quickly. I've heard several artists of this generation say that commercial radio just do not play their new material. Which I think is very true. I just think its hard for most artists out of their twenties to be able to create music that relates to or interests young record buyers who are in their teens to their twenties. As an artists ages, so does their fan base, and I tend to believe that the older most people get the less records that they buy. The older you get the more your income goes to more pressing things like housing, student loans, children, cars...and less on things like what were once singles, albums, cds, concerts, etc, etc..

Another thing that folks overlook is the fact that DR remarried in the mid-80s and had two sons! DR was never going to be on the road and recording and promoting her material like she did when she was a Supreme. For goodness sake she was a mother to FIVE children! It wasn't long after her two songs were born that her older three daughters were leaving for college.
    Good post with some interesting observations. Children aside, Diana was indeed on the road promoting the hell out of WO, FBTP and TMH. Allowing for the delayed release of “Force”, the American sales of those albums must have been a huge disappointment for her. I’m sure it must have been with some relief that Europe remained so loyal.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    I was living in Paris during this period. I never once heard her on the radio. Her music was DOA in France as it was in America. In the UK she had more success.
    How lovely...Paris remains one of my favourite cities. During which period were you living there Circa?.. To be somewhat sure her music was never being played, you would need to be listening to the radio 24/7. Allowing for bathroom breaks, was this the case?.
    The french have always adored Diana.

Good post with some interesting observations. Children aside, Diana was indeed on the road promoting the hell out of WO, FBTP and TMH. Allowing for the delayed release of “Force”, the American sales of those albums must have been a huge disappointment for her. I’m sure it must have been with some relief that Europe remained so loyal.
    The release of TAKE ME HIGHER in the US also didn't align with Diana's tour schedule. I saw her twice that August and the show was full of new material from TMH. I even remember talking with a stranger after one show about how good it all sounded. But the album wasn't out yet, which probably cancelled out casual buyers who might have gone looking for it after the concert. I was surprised one day to hit my local Tower and finding the import version. Of course, I snatched it up right away since the US version wasn't out yet.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    The release of TAKE ME HIGHER in the US also didn't align with Diana's tour schedule. I saw her twice that August and the show was full of new material from TMH. I even remember talking with a stranger after one show about how good it all sounded. But the album wasn't out yet, which probably cancelled out casual buyers who might have gone looking for it after the concert. I was surprised one day to hit my local Tower and finding the import version. Of course, I snatched it up right away since the US version wasn't out yet.
    I didn't realise it was the same with TMH as it had been with FBTP. As you say, she would have lost have lost out on the casual buyers market. Just appalling scheduling.
    She did work hard promoting it on American tv to little avail, so perhaps it might not have made that much of a difference. Not good all the same.

The "shelf life" of a huge star is often predicated on a number of things. The suggestion that age is the only factor is, IMO, inaccurate. Sometimes artists release great music and the public passes them by. This is usually an indication that the "shelf life" has expired, that said artist is a victim of a fickle industry. That's not what happened to Diana Ross. She did not release great music. She didn't do anything that even the critics really liked until TMH, at which point she was already in the garbage bin with the general public, and on top of that, she was even older than she was in the late 80s, early 90s. There are some legends whose lack of success leaves us scratching our heads and wondering why nobody bought X album, and then from there we conclude that people are stupid and willing to pass over good music simply because the artist is over a certain age.

Diana Ross is not that legend. Working Overtime and Force Behind the Power, are not those albums.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    The "shelf life" of a huge star is often predicated on a number of things. The suggestion that age is the only factor is, IMO, inaccurate. Sometimes artists release great music and the public passes them by. This is usually an indication that the "shelf life" has expired, that said artist is a victim of a fickle industry. That's not what happened to Diana Ross. She did not release great music. She didn't do anything that even the critics really liked until TMH, at which point she was already in the garbage bin with the general public, and on top of that, she was even older than she was in the late 80s, early 90s. There are some legends whose lack of success leaves us scratching our heads and wondering why nobody bought X album, and then from there we conclude that people are stupid and willing to pass over good music simply because the artist is over a certain age.

Diana Ross is not that legend. Working Overtime and Force Behind the Power, are not those albums.
    FBTP did incredibly well here in England’s green and pleasant land. We tend to have always liked old people.

I prefer TMH over WO and FBTP any day lol

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I prefer TMH over WO and FBTP any day lol
    I much prefer TMH and...”shock horror” WO over FBTP. During the 90’s and in Europe at least, Diana appears to have had a lot more success with pop orientated material then with r & b.

i'd rank Diana's Motown 2 albums as such, from best to worst:

Everyday
    Stolen moments
    Christmas in Vienna
    Take me higher
    Force behind the power
    Making spirits bright
    voice of love
    WO
    Extended
    Forever
    Greatest hits live

I agree in that “Greatest Hits Live” would most definitely find its way bottom of the pile on my own personal list of RTM albums. Why Oh Why?.
    Looking for positives, it did provide Diana impersonators the world over the opportunity to refresh their acts with more recent songs......

I remember reading a review at the time of release of « Greatest Hits Live » in 1989, and the reviewer asked, « Why is she singing like this? ». I wondered too. Now, of course, I know, she was in a hurry! She was rushing thru her set so she could finish, get out, get on a private jet, and get home. All that mattered was getting home to her kids, at that time her boys were both toddlers. She put motherhood first. And thirty years later, watching Tracey at the Democratic Convention, we can all see what a great job she made of it. As I said before, I just wish she had told me at the time, so I would have known what she was up to! She made the right choice.

it's not just a rush job that's a problem. she just doesn't sound good. her voice is really weak here on many of the tracks.

oh plus is that we do at least get live versions of some of her WO songs. while not my fav album of hers by any stretch of the imagination, i do enjoy having lots of live versions of her songs. many times, and this is one, the live versions can improve on the original.

I remember reading a review at the time of release of « Greatest Hits Live » in 1989, and the reviewer asked, « Why is she singing like this? ». I wondered too. Now, of course, I know, she was in a hurry! She was rushing thru her set so she could finish, get out, get on a private jet, and get home. All that mattered was getting home to her kids, at that time her boys were both toddlers. She put motherhood first. And thirty years later, watching Tracey at the Democratic Convention, we can all see what a great job she made of it. As I said before, I just wish she had told me at the time, so I would have known what she was up to! She made the right choice.
    With all due respect, how on earth would you know that??. For the two nights i was in the audience at the Wembley Arena, Diana appeared to be having a great time and most certainly not in a rush to get off stage. On the contrary, they were rather long shows
    and rank amongst her best.
    I agree with Sup in that her voice sounds rather weak and tired on the album. It should never have been released.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 08-21-2020 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    it's not just a rush job that's a problem. she just doesn't sound good. her voice is really weak here on many of the tracks.

oh plus is that we do at least get live versions of some of her WO songs. while not my fav album of hers by any stretch of the imagination, i do enjoy having lots of live versions of her songs. many times, and this is one, the live versions can improve on the original.
    Aside from Diana not being in great voice on the album, it also suffered from weird editing. Why shorten MIRROR, MIRROR but include the instrumental break afterwards when she is changing her clothes? Or including her dropping the mike right before ENDLESS LOVE? It was cute to see that moment on the HBO special but it made no sense on the album.

The one thing I do love about the Greatest Hits Live album is the cover artwork. With that huge, billowing red dress, it would have made a terrific cover for her “A Very Special Season” album.
    I remember being surprised at just how cheap and dull looking the design of that seasonal album really was. Most unusual for Diana at that point in time.

I saw her in March 89 in Glasgow. I’m guessing that after the show she would have gone straight to the airport [[ 15 minutes by car) and flown back to London where Arne and the boys were.

I saw her in March 89 in Glasgow. I’m guessing that after the show she would have gone straight to the airport [[ 15 minutes by car) and flown back to London where Arne and the boys were.
    Are you saying it was a review of the concert as opposed to the album??. Your post indicates it was an album review as you mention it was around the time of its release.
    The Greatest Hits Live album was recorded at Wembley Arena, not Glasgow. There really is no indication at all that Diana was racing through to get home ASAP. As the concert was being recorded for possible release it would have been an extremely odd thing for her to do.

This must be what you're discussing :

I'm not aware of this recording and I don't recall reading of it being discussed here at SD ....I must have missed it !

What jumps out right away is that her voice cracks upon first speaking the first lines of the night : "thank you ! thank you very much!"

The source for the video at youtube says it is from three nights of singing at Wembley, so from that I would conclude that they extracted the best versions from each night ? [[?) Either that or they picked the worst night for her voice to record ...perhaps the last night , thinking she'd be well rehearsed and the most comfortable at that point , not factoring in the notion that by then her voice could be stretched to its limit.
    That strikes me as likely plausible , as its a loud , long, strenuous show to do three nights in a row. Pitchers in baseball don't do that !!

And performing in an arena is a whole different ballgame than smaller more intimate ones. You have to keep a lot of people, most sitting far away, engaged , which means amping it up [[louder faster) to suit the size of the crowd.

And to top it off Diana is doing it all alone !! [[Except the non-featured back up singers).
    It's kind of a shocking, the nondescript staging. The style of the day is lots of flash, energetic dancers dominating, with lots of orchestrated lighting, and any other array of theatrics stuck in , pyrotechnics, etc.. . No dancers here at all , the lights are but spot lights and generic ambiences of red , blue, .. is there even a large screen ?? Very clever, the two costume changes , perhaps the one thing the most thought was put into.... but even at that , were the first and last looks too similar?? and to continue being picky, she changes out of a slinky tight sequinned Supremes type gown into an exaggerated broad and flowing ball gown .... to then do a Supremes medley!

Very surprising , [[and I'm guessing disappointing to the audience). Diana's performing a rather lengthy intro to LOVEHANGOVER only to truncate it right when it kicks in. [[that would've been a good time to let a dance instrumental take charge for a few minutes while taking a break, beyond the quick costume change).
    Also I bet when she started singing the slow and vocally taxing ENDLESS LOVE , she was thinking , "Damn why did I just run around throughout this entire arena like that !" lol!!

Overall , I get the impression she's in over her head. But, she is one tough cookie , out there on her own taking on the crowd like that !

oh and WONDERFUL WORLD is ......wonderful ....
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 08-22-2020 at 12:55 PM.

The reviewer was commenting on how rushed and breathless she sounded on tracks like « Upside Down ». Recorded, as you say, at Wembley. And in person, in Glasgow, she sounded even more rushed. She sang for over two hours, with an interval, so there was no need to hurry, but she did. Why, I don’t know. I can only speculate that she wanted to get the job done and get home. Maybe she was bored... it was around the same time she said, on stage, after singing « Baby Love », « I been singing these fucking songs for over 20 years now. ». She didn’t say much in Glasgow, other than to introduce four songs from WO - which wouldn’t be released for two months, a marketing own goal. I do remember she slowed down to do a note perfect rendition of « Missing You ». Maybe she hadn’t tired of it at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    This must be what you're discussing :

I'm not aware of this recording and I don't recall reading of it being discussed here at SD ....I must have missed it !

What jumps out right away is that her voice cracks upon first speaking the first lines of the night : "thank you ! thank you very much!"

The source for the video at youtube says it is from three nights of singing at Wembley, so from that I would conclude that they extracted the best versions from each night ? [[?) Either that or they picked the worst night for her voice to record ...perhaps the last night , thinking she'd be well rehearsed and the most comfortable at that point , not factoring in the notion that by then her voice could be stretched to its limit.
    That strikes me as likely plausible , as its a loud , long, strenuous show to do three nights in a row. Pitchers in baseball don't do that !!

And performing in an arena is a whole different ballgame than smaller more intimate ones. You have to keep a lot of people, most sitting far away, engaged , which means amping it up [[louder faster) to suit the size of the crowd.

And to top it off Diana is doing it all alone !! [[Except the non-featured back up singers).
    It's kind of a shocking, the nondescript staging. The style of the day is lots of flash, energetic dancers dominating, with lots of orchestrated lighting, and any other array of theatrics stuck in , pyrotechnics, etc.. . No dancers here at all , the lights are but spot lights and generic ambiences of red , blue, .. is there even a large screen ?? Very clever, the two costume changes , perhaps the one thing the most thought was put into.... but even at that , were the first and last looks too similar?? and to continue being picky, she changes out of a slinky tight sequinned Supremes type gown into an exaggerated broad and flowing ball gown .... to then do a Supremes medley!

Very surprising , [[and I'm guessing disappointing to the audience). Diana's performing a rather lengthy intro to LOVEHANGOVER only to truncate it right when it kicks in. [[that would've been a good time to let a dance instrumental take charge for a few minutes while taking a break, beyond the quick costume change).
    Also I bet when she started singing the slow and vocally taxing ENDLESS LOVE , she was thinking , "Damn why did I just run around throughout this entire arena like that !" lol!!

Overall , I get the impression she's in over her head. But, she is one tough cookie , out there on her own taking on the crowd like that !

oh and WONDERFUL WORLD is ......wonderful ....
    This show originally aired on HBO. So one must remember the entire performance was edited down to fit a 60-minute tv timeslot. Many of the songs were edited down [[LOVE HANGOVER was amongst them) or left out of the telecast completely.

I saw the show in person a few weeks before this tv special aired and it was great. It was also done end-stage as opposed to in the round. And most important for me, Diana called me on stage to dance during WORKIN' OVERTIME.

Re the staging, after leaving Motown, Diana left the big-budgeted spectacles behind. For the most part, her shows were in the round. For me, it really showed how great an entertainer she is to just get up alone on a small stage in the center of a sports arena and use only her talent to hold thousands of people enraptured for a couple of hours. She brought back dancers during the TAKE ME HIGHER era and again during RTL, but I honestly don't think they were needed.
    Last edited by reese; 08-22-2020 at 02:10 PM.

Re the staging, after leaving Motown, Diana left the big-budgeted spectacles behind. For the most part, her shows were in the round. For me, it really showed how great an entertainer she is to just get up alone on a small stage in the center of a sports arena and use only her talent to hold thousands of people enraptured for a couple of hours. She brought back dancers during the TAKE ME HIGHER era and again during RTL, but I honestly don't think they were needed.
    As you point out, this was a no frills presentation that proved Diana really didn’t need all those other distractions to prop up the show. She looked stunning in that short dress and moved like a teenager during the WO segment.
    For the two nights I was there the audience fed off her incredible energy level and dazzling charisma. I was not there for the final night at WA so am unable to comment.
    Did you dance holding Diana or was it a solo bop?.

As you point out, this was a no frills presentation that proved Diana really didn’t need all those other distractions to prop up the show. She looked stunning in that short dress and moved like a teenager during the WO segment.
    For the two nights I was there the audience fed off her incredible energy level and dazzling charisma. I was not there for the final night at WA so am unable to comment.
    We danced together but I didn't hold her. She did kiss me when the song was over and her backup singer Bobby Glenn gave me a thumbs-up.

We danced together but I didn't hold her. She did kiss me when the song was over and her backup singer Bobby Glenn gave me a thumbs-up.
    Just as well it was Diana. To some that would mean practically engaged!!.

actually it was prior to leaving motown that she radically changed her show. The clips from the 1980 tv special at the LA Forum show her in a simple "stage in the round" presentation. no gimmicks, no mimes, no dancers, no laser light shows.

I do have to say that i think it's effective. of course we can speculate how/why the change came about. was she thinking of leaving motown and looking to trim fat? did she have sticker shock from the price tag of The Boss tour? now that she was running her own business [[albeit still within the overall motown corporation) did she discover just how crazy expensive her shows were and cut back?

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    actually it was prior to leaving motown that she radically changed her show. The clips from the 1980 tv special at the LA Forum show her in a simple "stage in the round" presentation. no gimmicks, no mimes, no dancers, no laser light shows.

I do have to say that i think it's effective. of course we can speculate how/why the change came about. was she thinking of leaving motown and looking to trim fat? did she have sticker shock from the price tag of The Boss tour? now that she was running her own business [[albeit still within the overall motown corporation) did she discover just how crazy expensive her shows were and cut back?
    76 to 79 were what I think of as the razzmatazz concert years. From 81 of course there appeared the more simplistic in the round presentations. The Boss as we know was a very expensive tour, so i’m sure budget was a huge consideration. Perhaps also she felt the inclusion of dancers, movie screens etc had been done to death and felt a simpler, less constrained staging was the way to go.
    It was surprising that the RTL tour was augmented with additional backing singers and dancers when she had already proved they were not really necessary.

This show originally aired on HBO. So one must remember the entire performance was edited down to fit a 60-minute tv timeslot. Many of the songs were edited down [[LOVE HANGOVER was amongst them) or left out of the telecast completely.

I saw the show in person a few weeks before this tv special aired and it was great. It was also done end-stage as opposed to in the round. And most important for me, Diana called me on stage to dance during WORKIN' OVERTIME.

Wow reese !! How lucky for you !! [[ I hope ! Are you a good dancer ? lol!) How did that happen? Were you pushing for yourself to get called up? Were you at the stage? Did she point at you in your seat? Do you think you had made some kind of contact with her already? [[ eyes met ?) ?

I will say it would seem awkward to be asked to dance up there to a song yet unknown to you .....??? .....

Very cool though !

Wow reese !! How lucky for you !! [[ I hope ! Are you a good dancer ? lol!) How did that happen? Were you pushing for yourself to get called up? Were you at the stage? Did she point at you in your seat? Do you think you had made some kind of contact with her already? [[ eyes met ?) ?

I will say it would seem awkward to be asked to dance up there to a song yet unknown to you .....??? .....

Very cool though !
    I was sitting in the front row and having a very good time, mouthing the lyrics to everything, even the flops. When she pointed at me, I was shocked. I'm still surprised that I actually went up there as I'm basically rather shy and dancing in front of 15,000 people isn't my idea of fun. But when Diana calls, you come.

She called me up during WORKIN' OVERTIME which was a #3 hit on the r&b chart that summer so it wasn't unknown.
    Last edited by reese; 08-24-2020 at 01:27 PM.

I was sitting in the front row and having a very good time, mouthing the lyrics to everything, even the flops. When she pointed at me, I was shocked. I'm still surprised that I actually went up there as I'm basically rather shy and dancing in front of 15,000 people isn't my idea of fun. But when Diana calls, you come.

She called me up during WORKIN' OVERTIME which was a #3 hit on the r&b chart that summer so it wasn't unknown.
    Ha ! She spotted you! She could tell you'd come through ! She knew you better than you knew yourself!

As regards The Wiz, does anyone know for sure if “Home” was ever considered for single release?. If so, was it the soundtrack or studio version?. Ive always thought the studio version should have definitely been included on the “Ross” album. It would surely have proved more successful then “What You Gave Me”, if harder to dance to.
    It seems fitting as it’s pretty much regarded as a Diana classic.

As regards The Wiz, does anyone know for sure if “Home” was ever considered for single release?. If so, was it the soundtrack or studio version?. Ive always thought the studio version should have definitely been included on the “Ross” album. It would surely have proved more successful then “What You Gave Me”, if harder to dance to.
    It seems fitting as it’s pretty much regarded as a Diana classic.
    Ross78 and The Wiz soundtrack were released in the same month. The movie was about a month after that. It's my understanding that the studio version of "Home" and the accompanying sessions for Diana Sings Songs From were intended for release after the movie came out and was a success. When that didn't happen, the plans were shelved. So I don't think it was ever up for consideration for Ross78, although with hindsight it would have made a very nice addition.

While I certainly love Diana's version of "Home", I'm not sure I subscribe to the thought that it would've done well as a single. I think it makes a helluva standout performance in the movie, on the soundtrack, and, had the collection been released, on the proposed Diana Sings album it would have been a highlight of the album. But I hear the commercial potential in "What You Gave Me" and feel "Home" lacks that potential. Although for the record, I LOVE Diana's version of "What You Gave Me" [[I also LOVE Marvin and Tammi's too), I think it was a poor choice of single.

As far as "Home" being a Diana classic, she's surely associated with the song, and usually in a positive way. But the song belongs to Stephanie Mills. I remember one time back in the 90s, on Showtime At the Apollo, a young lady walked onto the stage during the amateur night competition and said she was going to sing "Home" by Diana Ross. The audience wasn't having it. The host- I think it was Steve Harvey at the time, but might be mistaken- had to remind the audience that Diana did it too. LOL

Ross78 and The Wiz soundtrack were released in the same month. The movie was about a month after that. It's my understanding that the studio version of "Home" and the accompanying sessions for Diana Sings Songs From were intended for release after the movie came out and was a success. When that didn't happen, the plans were shelved. So I don't think it was ever up for consideration for Ross78, although with hindsight it would have made a very nice addition.

While I certainly love Diana's version of "Home", I'm not sure I subscribe to the thought that it would've done well as a single. I think it makes a helluva standout performance in the movie, on the soundtrack, and, had the collection been released, on the proposed Diana Sings album it would have been a highlight of the album. But I hear the commercial potential in "What You Gave Me" and feel "Home" lacks that potential. Although for the record, I LOVE Diana's version of "What You Gave Me" [[I also LOVE Marvin and Tammi's too), I think it was a poor choice of single.

As far as "Home" being a Diana classic, she's surely associated with the song, and usually in a positive way. But the song belongs to Stephanie Mills. I remember one time back in the 90s, on Showtime At the Apollo, a young lady walked onto the stage during the amateur night competition and said she was going to sing "Home" by Diana Ross. The audience wasn't having it. The host- I think it was Steve Harvey at the time, but might be mistaken- had to remind the audience that Diana did it too. LOL
    With the resurgence in popularity of the film version of The Wiz, it might possibly be all a younger generation are familiar with. So for them to associate “Home” with Diana seems a natural. As we all know, Mills was the original stage star, but movies are far wider reaching then stage productions. It would be interesting to know if ever a poll was conducted as to who’s name would feature the most.

For black audiences, "Home" will always be Stephanie Mills' song. For younger people of all races though, it belongs to either Diana or Whitney.

I remember going to kindergarten hearing Stephanie's R&B studio version [[from her 1989 album of the same name) and thought Stephanie was covering Diana lol

I didn't know the real truth until a couple years later!

Yeah, nobody I know thinks of Diana when "Home" comes up. And since you opened the door...The young lady on Apollo was white. Clearly a fan of The Wiz but not exposed to Stephanie's number one cover of her own originating song. Lol I remember in 1989/90 you couldn't go down the street without that song either being played on the car radio or blasting out of someone's house. I love Diana's versions, but Stephanie took "Home" in the late 80s, tore it down, and built a mansion in it's place. My mama still bumps it on the regular. [[As do I. I play Stephanie's version 10 times more than Diana's.)

Yeah, nobody I know thinks of Diana when "Home" comes up. And since you opened the door...The young lady on Apollo was white. Clearly a fan of The Wiz but not exposed to Stephanie's number one cover of her own originating song. Lol I remember in 1989/90 you couldn't go down the street without that song either being played on the car radio or blasting out of someone's house. I love Diana's versions, but Stephanie took "Home" in the late 80s, tore it down, and built a mansion in it's place. My mama still bumps it on the regular. [[As do I. I play Stephanie's version 10 times more than Diana's.)
    I do! The first time I ever heard anyone sing the song is when Diana Ross performed it on her tv special in 1981. I didn't get to hear Stephanie Mills's version until over 10 years later. As a young kid I was in awe of how long DR held the last note of the song, tilted her head back and it sounds like her mic cuts out for a couple seconds and then tilts her head back and is still holding the note. It was EPIC.

I do! The first time I ever heard anyone sing the song is when Diana Ross performed it on her tv special in 1981. I didn't get to hear Stephanie Mills's version until over 10 years later. As a young kid I was in awe of how long DR held the last note of the song, tilted her head back and it sounds like her mic cuts out for a couple seconds and then tilts her head back and is still holding the note. It was EPIC.
    Yes. I agree. It was sensational. But the first time I heard “Home” was by Diana Ross on her 1977 “Big Event“ TV special and I loved it. This was before she filmed The Wiz. I recorded the TV special with a portable cassette recorder. I wore that tape out. Lol. I was only 15 years old. Never heard it by Stephanie until years later. It will always be a Diana Ross song to me.

I never really thought of HOME as Diana's song even though it was the one I was most familiar it.

In the 70s, I knew that Stephanie was doing it on Broadway and I saw her sing it on a few television shows but it didn't make a big impression on me. By comparison, my aunt bought me THE WIZ soundtrack for Christmas 1978 and I wore that album out, particularly HOME. Subsequent performances of it on her 1981 tv special and various concerts that I attended made the song even more special for me.

But when Stephanie remade the song in 1989, I was shook. That soaring voice backed up by Take 6 just took the song somewhere else. I've seen her sing that version in concert many times and she never fails to hit it out of the ball park. By comparison, in the 90s I finally Stephanie reprise her role of Dorothy in a touring version of "THE WIZ" and the version she sang paled considerably.

"Home" was a huge R&B hit that year. Went all the way to number one there for, I don't know how many weeks.

I think she gave the greatest vocal performance of any singer at the Apollo when she performed the song live on "Showtime at the Apollo" the week the album came out:

I think Stephanie’s version of “Home” worked extremely well in the context of the stage musical. As a one off performance i personally prefer Diana’s version.
    SM is an all out, full throttle Patti Labelle type performance. Diana’s a little more wistful/poignant . It’s not necessarily a look what I can do type performance.
    Don’t get me wrong, i think Mills does a fantastic job with the song giving it her all. I just think Diana’s interpretation has the edge.
    As regards association, it was Mills who first originated the song on stage before a film version was even considered. As such, it seems fitting if it’s her name that were the first to be associated with it.

I think Stephanie’s version of “Home” worked extremely well in the context of the stage musical. As a one off performance i personally prefer Diana’s version.
    SM is an all out, full throttle Patti Labelle type performance. Diana’s a little more wistful/poignant . It’s not necessarily a look what I can do type performance.
    Don’t get me wrong, i think Mills does a fantastic job with the song giving it her all. I just think Diana’s interpretation has the edge.
    As regards association, it was Mills who first originated the song on stage before a film version was even considered. As such, it seems fitting if it’s her name that were the first to be associated with it.
    Agree with all of this!

I agree. I also see your point about Diana's version. She truly made it her own too. I loved her live version from her 1979 concert at Caesar's Palace. That's probably my favorite version of Diana's.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I think she gave the greatest vocal performance of any singer at the Apollo when she performed the song live on "Showtime at the Apollo" the week the album came out:
    Oh, she tore it up on the Apollo. Another one of my favorite performances is the one from Sinbad's Summer Jam, I think from the late 90s. Stephanie was hoarse, but she evoked every emotion of that song possible. Sinbad's commentary at the end sums up the way many of us "hear" "Home" by Stephanie Mills. Diana's versions can't compare, for my taste.

Meh. Lol I can't argue against how great Diana's versions are. But if we're gonna talk notes, that "like HOOOOMMMMEEEE" Stephanie does in her hit version from 89 is so long, I can run to the store, grab a few things, stop to chitchat with someone [[socially distancing, of course), come home and cook the meal, before she's finished.

If we're gonna talk Diana and notes held, I love what she does with that last one on "Somewhere" from the Albert Hall performance in 1973. Absolutely fantastic.

But when Stephanie remade the song in 1989, I was shook. That soaring voice backed up by Take 6 just took the song somewhere else.
    Accurate description for how I feel.

HOME was the song chosen to introduce Whitney Houston to the world :

Oh, she tore it up on the Apollo. Another one of my favorite performances is the one from Sinbad's Summer Jam, I think from the late 90s. Stephanie was hoarse, but she evoked every emotion of that song possible. Sinbad's commentary at the end sums up the way many of us "hear" "Home" by Stephanie Mills. Diana's versions can't compare, for my taste.

I remember watching this with my parents lmao

To say Stephanie stole the show is an understatement. I think Kool and the Gang [[with JT) came after her LOL

Hard to follow that up [[though they did their best, who can beat Celebration? HELLO! Lol)

HOME was the song chosen to introduce Whitney Houston to the world :

What an introduction to the world. Seeing that performance of her at just 19 years old, you can tell Whitney was destined to be where she eventually got to... singing "Home" like THAT?! I wonder how Stephanie and Diana felt watching that lol

I loved Whitney's 1994 live performance of it in South Africa as well.

Meh. Lol I can't argue against how great Diana's versions are. But if we're gonna talk notes, that "like HOOOOMMMMEEEE" Stephanie does in her hit version from 89 is so long, I can run to the store, grab a few things, stop to chitchat with someone [[socially distancing, of course), come home and cook the meal, before she's finished.

If we're gonna talk Diana and notes held, I love what she does with that last one on "Somewhere" from the Albert Hall performance in 1973. Absolutely fantastic.
    Oh man, I know you heard the 1974/75 studio version Stephanie gave of this song. I don't know how long she held the note at the end. Maybe 17 seconds?!

As for Diana, yeah, that Somewhere performance from '73 was spell binding. Diana can hold some notes too!