Hi guys

A few months ago I posted a thread on here about the 5th Dimension's cover of Love Hangover and I was surprised at how many fans here felt like they "stole Diana's song." Since then, I've learned that Diana Ross and/or the Supremes have "stolen" a bunch of the 5th Dimension's songs including Stoned Soul Picnic, Aquarius, and Dont'cha Hear Me Calling to You. On top of that, both entities [[for lack of a better term) recorded the same songs over the years, including but not limited to, Time and Love, I Thought it Took a Little Time [[but today I Fell in Love), Surrender, Love's Lines Angles and Rhymes, Up Up and Away, Leave a Little Room, etc. Back then nobody accused anybody of stealing anything. Seems like DR and/or Supremes covered more 5th songs than the other way around so why is Love Hangover considered stolen property but not the others? Neither DR nor the 5th wrote their own material, so add that to the mix. To my way of thinking, the writers/publishers owned these songs, not the performers. Am I wrong?