[REMOVE ADS]

****April 1st The Day Music Died- Marvin Gaye RIP*****

Name:  rich-marvin-gaye-590x350.jpg
Views: 12739
Size:  65.8 KB

I still remember it like it was yesterday. I was at work and the radio was on. The disc jockey was exclaiming that Marvin Gaye had been shot and killed by his father. I thought to myself, '"..man thats pretty dam deep for an April Fool joke"......I stopped what I was doing and went into the outer office and my secretary was crying. I looked at her and said, come on Pat, you don't believe that do you ? She replied its true. I couldn't believe it, didn't want to believe it......but the look on her face remains burned in my mind to this day.

We turned on the television and it was all over the news.....and then it hit me like a ton of bricks. Marvin was gone. I had just seen him a couple months prior on his Sexual Healing tour, Shelia E was playing percussion for him and I had been mesmerized by his performance. Untoward things happen that you just never forget, Kennedy, Martin, Malcolm, Paul, David, Michael, 911, Space Shuttle and so many more, but I always approach April 1, with a little trepidation because it was like a cruel joke come true.

Ugh. It still sickens me.

I was in my car when the news hit the radio. I had to pull over and try and understand what I had just heard.

My father , who was still living at the time, thought I was telling him a sick April Fool's Day joke. He said: "That's not funny, son." I changed the tv channel to CNN.
    MOST PEOPLE COULD NOT COMPREHEND A FATHER SHOOTING HIS OWN SON.
    Last edited by Motown_M_1056; 04-01-2011 at 12:41 PM.

pshark Guest
    I was hoping it was some sick April Fool's joke

Damn, Paladin, I just read your post,and the one on the Motown thread. I responded over there a few minutes ago.
    I wanted to originally post it here,but I thought others would have posted before I made my post earlier today.

I was very P'd off that people would just lurk with nothing to say. I'm not trying to glorified death to anyone, but like you mention,this stuck out like the ones you mentioned in your post.

It still shakes me up after some 27 years....

I'm listening to some Marvin,as I'm posting this right now.

[[ Disc 2 from the Deluxe Edition of "What's Going On" Marvin is performing live @ the Kennedy Center May 1st 1971.)

Need I say anymore ? If you have the disc,then you know the songs he performed. If you don't have it, I would suggest buying it,and add it to your collection. In fact,the Deluxe Editions of his Tamla recordings are worth owning.

Here is a memorial video Russ and I did a few years back. I suppose this is an appropriate time to re-air it, in Marvin's memory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMt18phyFZs

I remember that day exactly. I was living in Denver, Colorado at the time. I had just gotten off work and back home to eat. I turned on the television, but like someone else mentioned, I had the sound turned down and music on. I looked over at the TV at one point and they had a picture of Marvin Gaye on the screen and from experience, I knew that only meant one thing. I turned up the volume and that's when I heard them announce his death from being shot by his father. I called back home and I spoke with my mother, father and brother about it and they had just heard the news also. It was a hard day to say the least.

RIP Marvin

Unhappy

My father , who was still living at the time, thought I was telling him a sick April Fool's Day joke. He said: "That's not funny, son." I changed the tv channel to CNN.
    MOST PEOPLE COULD NOT COMPREHEND A FATHER SHOOTING HIS OWN SON.
    I remember that day exactly.

Here is a memorial video Russ and I did a few years back. I suppose this is an appropriate time to re-air it, in Marvin's memory.

It still shakes me up after some 27 years....

I was hoping it was some sick April Fool's joke

Well said everyone. Its hard to believe that its been so long GeeTee. My youngest son hadn't even been born. Ralph I'll look at the video tribute, thanks, I do remember it. I know that most of the senior folks here know that I'm a Temptation guy, a true blue vocal group dude. But I readily admit that Marvin was my all time favorite Motown artist. I really cant tell you why besides the fact that he always made records that I gravitated toward, like a moth to a flame. Being young and going through life, Marvin's records always appealed to me, from Stubborn Kind of fella, Hitchhike, Chained, You, Ain't That Peculiar, Take This Heart of Mine, Wonderful One etc, etc, etc.

In my old neighborhood all the kids had these portable record players and 45's were the order of the day [[ Sony walkman's had yet to be invented) and we would sit out in the early evening and late into the night and the sounds of Motown would fill the air. Sure The Temptations, Miracles and Supremes were there, but none of them were Marvin. Many nights I blasted Ain't That Peculiar and Can I get A Witness because Marvin was the closest thing to church that we would listen too.

He was a man then and I just a boy.....but his music influenced me then and it influences me now. I play his songs as if he were still here, My Dear Mr Gaye, thank you for being part of my musical life. Tomorrow is your birthday and to that I say Salud ! as I partake of the spirit and share some with you in the traditional manner*****...........

Kdubya
    **** we used to do this quite frequently during the Vietnamese conflict......

Name:  marvingaye18.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  9.7 KB

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x91...remember_music

I just watched this. Marvin provides a great amount of personality that we normally did not see here. The rehearsals are simply Marvin!

Enjoy it... And Marvin, wherever you are out there in the cosmos... Happy 72nd Birthday!

april fools day will never be the same again. i still remember this dreadful day, like the rest of of u. i was 15 and i was on my way out the door to play some ball and when the radio said what i thought he said that sunday afternoon, i said that's a fucked up joke, kinda like what these clowns are doing now on twitter and these other internet sites, always pronouncing somebody died. can u imagine if this would've happen today with the massive media we have now? remember, we only had the 3 major networks, fox wasn't here yet and cable was just starting up! anyway, when i saw that this news was true, i was in total shock. it's funny, i always thought sam cooke was my favorite singer, until that day, cause the way i felt when marvin died, it felt like a family member died. i had to comfort my mother, she was crying, we cried together and listened to the radio and tv while the detail of that tragic sunday were coming in.i remember i didn't go to school the next day, i listened to the radio all day and as they kept repeating marvin is dead, it felt like someone was stabbing me in my heart over and over again. my heart went out to his poor mother who he loved so much, for her to witness this and from her husband nonetheless! nobody knows what really happen in that house except them 3 and god. i remember when marvin came to the garden in 1983 and i wanted to see him and i said oh i'll catch him on the next go round, words i regret til this day! i still miss him, i'm still hearing new things in his music and like geetee said, the deluxe cd's are amazing! i always wonder what he would be doing now, what kind of music he would be singing, who he would be working with? thank u marvin, i wil always celebrate your life until the day i died.

and now for my all time favorite performance by marvin, it still brings tears to my eyes to this day, especially when he saids oh my father and hold his arms up, i always think of him getting shot in the chest at that very moment!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4xQ6StnIFg
    i know a lotta people went koo koo for michael when he debut the moonwalk on this classic show28 years ago.[[they really need to put out a official dvd)well that was my michael moment and i'll tell u why his performance stands out more than the rest and why it was so special. unlike the other elite motown stars on that show diana, smokey, michael, tempts, tops and stevie they all performed more than 1 song or melodies of their hits, not marvin, he was one and done! i don't care what anybody say, i think marvin knew he was coming to the end of the road and he decided that he will come home to motown where it all began to say thanks and goodbye as he hold his arms up in triumph and rode off until the sunset, never to be seen again.

I'll be playing his music all day

Last edited by loveblind; 04-02-2011 at 12:10 PM.

I was thinking about marvin just yesterday,and like you all i thought it was a sick joke too until i turned on the newscast,so much talent so much sickness of heart and mind,if i may quote a line-I DID THE BEST I COULD NOBODY UNDERSTOOD...MARVIN FOREVER.

April 1, that year was a Sunday. This all happened during the time of day that people would have been at church.
    A father that takes the life of his son ,the day before the anniversary of his birth ,as a result of an argument between the son and the father. They have a volitile relationship with the father both jealous and disapproving of his sons lifestyle and fame ,and the son ,wanting but never getting the approval of his father. A tragic story , a fact of life for many other fathers and sons even today ,a story not unlike you would find in the Bible or any other religious document. The story ...well, it is what it is. Marvin was a genius at what he did ,ahead of his time and blessed with a God given talent that comes with a high price in the short run most of the time ,with a long afterlife in the long run. There is a point that I personally find interesting about Marvins story. The point that Marvins life taken by his father,and that was the result of him ,standing up to his father ,and saying ,"If you can't respect me for what I have done ,then take me away". An argument aligedged to be instigated by Marvin. He alledgedlly struck Marvin Sr. Now as for U.S. Afro Americans culture ,I CAN SAY 9 TIMES OUT OF 10 ,that's some suicidal shix ,fuxk who you think you are ,and how high your asx may be.
    I challange any Afro-American man or woman that has not heard the phrase ,"I brought you here and I'll take your ass out" ,and although a far fetched idea ,you knew if you fuxx up enough ,your ass was grass. You don't know the true depth of that statement , dynamically until you have children of your own ,and then you have a referrence point similar to your parents had to focus on. The fear of that was the blessing that at least kept my ass out of trouble and what trouble I did get into ,...well...... they would never know ,thank GOD.
    With all the history of Marvins life considered ,ups and downs ,the end of his life prooves to be the most prophetic. At the hands of the father the day before the anniversary of his birth. Thus we celebrate the lifes work of Marvin on the day of his passing ,April 1 ,and also celebrate the anniversary of his birth on April 2. Soul Musics "Easter" so to speak. A cycle of death and rebirth ,with events shared by both the father and the son. That's deep.............
    R.I.P. Marvin P. Gay and may God Bless Sr.s soul.

Great, thought provoking post Daddy. Thank you.

Marv