Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
I cross swords with everyone: I do not care for the Love Child album. From its tepid stereo mix to her hoarse vocals on too many tracks, I have to say, “meh.” I prefer Cream, Reflevtions and maybe even Sunshine ....yes I do. There’s really not one coat on the entire album I ever feel like listening to and that includes that awful stereo mix of the title tune. At least on the other albums, I can pick 12345 songs that I enjoy even if there are some horrible clinkers. On love child, there really aren’t any horrible clinkers, but there’s nothing I find compelling. Next to funny girl, and join the Temptations, it’s the Supremes album I play the least. My problem with it is, that I like commercial sounding songs with a hook and clever Production. I think the fact that the title song sold over 2 million copies and yet the album barely did any better than the reflections album. If word of mouth has been good on this album, it would easily have gone top 10.
it's always fun to compare! i like the LC album and find nearly all of the tracks well done. but there's such a stylistic and musical variety here that it's an odd album. on other albums there were some tracks that were weaker or needed to be part of the overall album set. Like The Boss lp - sparkle or I'm In The World. perfect within the context of that album. but maybe not so much so in another setting

LC is where nearly every song is strong but there's such an odd array.