Jean, after some time went by, started getting defensive in interviews. At one point she said something to the effect of "My joining the group did not diminish its status--maybe in some people's minds it did." I am paraphrasing but that is close to what she said. The shadow of the prior Supremes was long and cold. Idiot journalists couldn't think of anything original to write about these new Supremes so they fell back on comparing the old group to the new--lazy journalism but unsurprising. I would imagine that Jean felt no matter how well she did, it would never be good enough. And it wasn't--not because she didn't have the talent, but because she was plugged into a fading role. The music business changed completely in just a few years--by 1970 it was a new ball game. People didn't want all that Vegas bullsmit. Even the Jacksons complained in 1974 that Vegas was a "glittering graveyard" and didn't want to play there. Diana Ross understood this, and although she still played there, she completely revamped her show to be of the moment. It worked. The Supremes did not evolve until Scherrie came on board but it was too late.