[REMOVE ADS]




Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 101 to 113 of 113
  1. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    You want a cookie?
    At least Ran isn't an insufferable troll.
    Your half right Al. Your half right.

  2. #102
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    Ran Ran--you really didn't like Priority? Wow--I loved it! Loved Energy too!
    Of the Planet albums, the first two, Energy and Priority, just don't do it for me. I'm not crazy about the Pointers with the rock edge. The next four Planet albums I really like or really love.

  3. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    I love RanRan's posts.
    Thanks Bobby. Everybody starts out liking my posts. The feeling will eventually fade away.

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    It’s a really solid album Bobby that has stood the test of time. Though essentially a light rock orientated set, it has a bluesy feel to it. Favourite songs, “Dreaming As One” (Stunning ballad) and “She’s Got The Fever”. Something like this album with a few more ballads thrown in would have been perfect for Mary. That debut album was the worst mistake of her career..........alas.
    "The Fever" is the bomb. I love to hear Ruth sing. Energy went gold, and I'm guessing that was on the strength of "Fire", which is a helluva song. But this change in sound I really don't think served the Pointers well with the public, hence why Priority flopped. Now in my mind, if any artists as soulful and pliable between genres as the Pointers couldn't turn Priority into a decent seller, Mary Wilson didn't have a chance in hell. Do I think Richard Perry would have been a perfect producer for Mary? Yeah, I think he could've given her a classic album as long as he focused on her strengths. I think these types of songs (that the Pointers were doing in the late 70s) would have exposed Mary's weaknesses more than anything. And it's not like Mary didn't have the ability to go hard. She could. Listen to her "Save Me", she isn't half steppin with that one and it works. I just don't hear her on those rocker cuts. Mary has a very specific voice and IMO when she strays outside of a certain zone, there's a "tell her to PLEASE stop it" feeling that has a tendency to come over the listener.

  5. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    "The Fever" is the bomb. I love to hear Ruth sing. Energy went gold, and I'm guessing that was on the strength of "Fire", which is a helluva song. But this change in sound I really don't think served the Pointers well with the public, hence why Priority flopped. Now in my mind, if any artists as soulful and pliable between genres as the Pointers couldn't turn Priority into a decent seller, Mary Wilson didn't have a chance in hell. Do I think Richard Perry would have been a perfect producer for Mary? Yeah, I think he could've given her a classic album as long as he focused on her strengths. I think these types of songs (that the Pointers were doing in the late 70s) would have exposed Mary's weaknesses more than anything. And it's not like Mary didn't have the ability to go hard. She could. Listen to her "Save Me", she isn't half steppin with that one and it works. I just don't hear her on those rocker cuts. Mary has a very specific voice and IMO when she strays outside of a certain zone, there's a "tell her to PLEASE stop it" feeling that has a tendency to come over the listener.
    “Priority” is probably my favourite Pointer Sisters album. One must Remember some of the best albums ever have not sold by the truck load.
    I agree that Richard Perry might perhaps have been a good fit for Mary. Unlike Diana, unless the song is tailor made for her voice she can sound weak and ineffective. Her sound is not really a natural for the pop market. That is not where she shines.
    For that 79 album there should have been a little light rock, a spoonful of R & B, a pinch of jazz and those all important ballads. This was the way to go. After this, perhaps moving more towards standards and jazz. Disco was career suicide as in square peg round hole. One can keep those warm summer nights lol.

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    “Priority” is probably my favourite Pointer Sisters album. One must Remember some of the best albums ever have not sold by the truck load.
    I agree that Richard Perry might perhaps have been a good fit for Mary. Unlike Diana, unless the song is tailor made for her voice she can sound weak and ineffective. Her sound is not really a natural for the pop market. That is not where she shines.
    For that 79 album there should have been a little light rock, a spoonful of R & B, a pinch of jazz and those all important ballads. This was the way to go. After this, perhaps moving more towards standards and jazz. Disco was career suicide as in square peg round hole. One can keep those warm summer nights lol.
    If we were talking favorites and what we like, well anything goes. I couldn't care less about something being successful or not, just as long as I like it. But for Mary's debut, she needed hits, she needed visibility, she needed to succeed. So in that regard, I think any conversation about what Mary's debut album should've been like should keep in mind what was going to help her achieve the greatest success. I don't think Priority would have done that for Mary, just like it didn't do it for the Pointers.

    But I definitely agree, some of the best music is never very successful with the general public. Many of my favs were not.

  7. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    If we were talking favorites and what we like, well anything goes. I couldn't care less about something being successful or not, just as long as I like it. But for Mary's debut, she needed hits, she needed visibility, she needed to succeed. So in that regard, I think any conversation about what Mary's debut album should've been like should keep in mind what was going to help her achieve the greatest success. I don't think Priority would have done that for Mary, just like it didn't do it for the Pointers.

    But I definitely agree, some of the best music is never very successful with the general public. Many of my favs were not.
    I heard recently from someone that was in the studio on a couple of the nights that Mary was laying down vocals for her debut album that the best ones were not even included on the album when it was released! There were more than a few people that were there on the nights they were recording it that were surprised.

  8. #108
    I thought Mary's first solo LP was terrible. Aside from Summer Night and Pick Up the Pieces, I couldn't even name another song on it. Okay maybe Red Hot. That song was IMO a Hot Mess.

  9. #109
    I have the album on cassette tape which i got in the 80s. but i might have listened to it 1x? maybe 2X?

    completely agree the material was totally wrong for her. Red Hot is dreadful IMO and her "owwwwws" and all are just wrong. PUTP is ok but frankly i've never really cared for it. but agree it's much more in her wheelhouse. the live version is a little better

    although the lyrics are rather simple, Midnight Dancer sounds much better than Red Hot.

    we've all talked about how the Gus tracks were much more appropriate. but here's another idea. what about something funkier and slower? maybe not totally like Tell Me Something Good but you get what i'm saying. Mr Boogie was a rather halfwit of a song but the style and sound wasn't terrible. just the lyric. Mary will always be the "sexy one" so make her a bit more like that on vinyl.

  10. #110
    I agree. Mr Boogie is almost camp, it's so bad. If someone brought me that song to sing I'd tell him or her to F off.

  11. #111
    I liked....loved the Pointer sisters Energy album but not so much on Priority....will have another listen....
    I did like who do you love
    All your love and don't let a thief steal your heart

  12. #112
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I heard recently from someone that was in the studio on a couple of the nights that Mary was laying down vocals for her debut album that the best ones were not even included on the album when it was released! There were more than a few people that were there on the nights they were recording it that were surprised.
    Hopefully an expanded edition of Mary's album will get a release. I imagine she recorded other tunes, and sometimes what's left off is better than what makes the actual album, whatever the reason. That's how I feel about the Supremes R&H album. To me the best stuff was left in the vault while the inferior songs, with a few exceptions, made the album.

  13. #113
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    I have the album on cassette tape which i got in the 80s. but i might have listened to it 1x? maybe 2X?

    completely agree the material was totally wrong for her. Red Hot is dreadful IMO and her "owwwwws" and all are just wrong. PUTP is ok but frankly i've never really cared for it. but agree it's much more in her wheelhouse. the live version is a little better

    although the lyrics are rather simple, Midnight Dancer sounds much better than Red Hot.

    we've all talked about how the Gus tracks were much more appropriate. but here's another idea. what about something funkier and slower? maybe not totally like Tell Me Something Good but you get what i'm saying. Mr Boogie was a rather halfwit of a song but the style and sound wasn't terrible. just the lyric. Mary will always be the "sexy one" so make her a bit more like that on vinyl.
    I agree. Mary on "Boogie" sounds very good, so that's definitely a vein I could hear her in.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.