[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramone Verona View Post
    Those sped up sixties medleys were my least favorite spot in hearing copies of their live shows. Save for Scherrie's "My World", which she took to a wonderful new level. I would have preferred more of their current album or covers with their great harmonies, like "Everybody Gets To Go To The Moon".
    I agree with you, Ramone. Even on the 'Live in Japan' album, Jean seems to try and do songs like "Stop! In the Name of Love," as totally different from Diane as possible and gives it a rather strange delivery, ending up so that the snippets of the Ross led Supremes songs sound like throwaways. I haven't heard the "At the Copa," "Talk of the Town" or "Farewell" LPs in so long, I'm interested to hear how the hit medleys are done by the original line up though.

Is Cindy interviewed for the Final Sessions?

Ramone Verona Guest
    Yes!! And they give updates as to what MSCS are doing today.

Yes, George Solomon spoke with Cindy. Readers with a keen eye will note we also used a quote from an older interview when putting the essay together.

This wasn't the entire show - those songs are what were played out on air from Capital Radio in London [[not the whole UK). I was there - it was an AMAZING show and tee party carried on well into the night. An event I'm so glad that I witnessed. Sunday 12th June 1977...

any song you remember, Ivyfield, that wasn't broadcasted or on the bootlegs that was featured in the live show?

Ivyfield

Was you in the crowd that were singing "Love I Never Knew You Could Feel So Good". That was a wonderful fun time. If you have the time, can you read what I put up on these threads. Do you think I was fair or did you remember it any differently.

And how very remiss of me for not starting out with an open arms welcome to you here on SDF.

BTW, if you're the same ivyfield that posts on Youtube, I have spent so many evenings on your channel, I probably ought to be charged rent! *smile*

Ramone Verona Guest
    I wonder had the Supremes continued with Joyce Vincent-Wilson [[Wilson at that time) if some causual fans would have confused the last name with Mary's? I still see some written motown biographies from time to time, from this and last decade, that refer to Mary Wilson as Mary Wells. And then there's those famous Terrell sisters; Jean and Tammi.

Ramone

There were 2 famous Mary Wilson's in the UK in the 60's. The other one was the wife of our Prime Minister, Harold Wilson. Nobody confused our Mary with her!! LOL

Are you sure they were the Terrell sisters - I thought it was mother and daughter! lol

And Mari or Meri Wilson had a hit song in the 70s called Telephone.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    And Mari or Meri Wilson had a hit song in the 70s called Telephone.
    You remember that stupid song too? LOL! I think it was called "Telephone Man" hey ladi dadi, etc,etc.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    You remember that stupid song too? LOL! I think it was called "Telephone Man" hey ladi dadi, etc,etc.
    Holy cow... was that the stupidest, dirtiest song around at that time? It's just plain filthy, and makes me laugh my ass off:

Please tell me that nobody ever confused "our" Mary Wilson with that telephone lady.

If they did, they need medical attention!

Coincedantally this "song" was released very shortly after Mary Wilson left the Supremes.......

surprised she didn't put it on her solo album then.

I'm still surprised at some of the tracks that WERE put on Mary's solo album.....!

My only disappointment with Mary's solo album was that it was too short. I loved all the tracks and wanted more.

Ramone Verona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    My only disappointment with Mary's solo album was that it was too short. I loved all the tracks and wanted more.
    I knew there was something about you that I didn't like!
    That's like having hives and wanting to slather on poison-ivy!
    The ONLY reason I purchased this album years later in a cut-out bin was because I thought it was interesting that my "Meet The Supremes" LP had the Motown label on it [[with the state map) and so did Mary's vinyl so many years later.
    I could never play it completely through.
    Would rather listen to Ted Nugent's "Cat Scratch Fever" performed by real cats before that mess again.
    Our defense should give up water-boarding and just use Mary's album!
    But I will say I was happy that Mary was given a shot from Motown for a change.
    The tracks probably hold up better today.
    Back then in the States, that album was not the finest in disco.
    A pretty cover, however.

fans of Mary's more than fans of music will purchase her first solo record. this could be one of those releases from universal where it's just a straight transfer like they did in the 1980's. then if it turns out to be a sell out, then Hip-O can put out a deluxe edition if one exists. Hip-O shouldn't waste valuable release time on this one, however. have Kent or Ace do it at a budget price. doing it would at least keep things rolling for supreme fans. it might just be that the outtakes from her solo record are much better; just like we have found with other releases.

Yes and include Marys subsequent recordings by Gus D which were great! Interesting that Hal Davis Of Love Hangover and Dont Leave Me This Way produced her. Mary liked the album overall.

Quote Originally Posted by ramone verona View Post
    i knew there was something about you that i didn't like!
    that's like having hives and wanting to slather on poison-ivy!
    hahahahahahahahahaha rofl

Ramone

I've not laughed like that for a long time. That was so funny. I can see you love living life on a knife edge!

Mary's first album was excellent but I accept that you needed to play it a few times to warm to it. But I did give it a chance and I got to really like it. I can actually name most of the tracks without looking it up too.

Am I really on my own here.......Captain James...throw me a lifeline! *smile*

I am uncomfortable about saying what I don't like when it comes to some artists..but if there's one song I really wish Mary didn't sing and that is Green River. I cannot get into that. Its far too much of a rock song........but it's very well received by all the fans [[except me, of course!).

I'm a bit of a romantic at heart [[that's cos I don't get it any other way!!!) so I like Mary singing the lushy ballads. Marv and Luke tend to find these videos of Mary singing stuff other than the Supremes' hits. So watch out for their posts

Hives and poison ivy......what a combination! HAHAHAHAHA

Ramone Verona Guest
    To make you feel more comfy, I'll check my stack of 45's for the Velvelette's version of "Green River".

i never liked the album, either. it was just manufactured disco in the worst way. i felt like the songs had been written long ago, and then pulled from somebody's notebook and "discofied". but years later a friend sent me a motown release compilation of dance tracks that had one track from this solo album. it sounded better than i remembered and i believe it was because i wasn't trying to listen to a whole album of Mary disco tracks. i believe about 2 or 3 tracks from her motown solo album have been put on motown compilations over the years so maybe motown didn't think they had wasted that much time on her. the album's producer and writers and background vocalists were a good "who's who" at the time. i have no problem with Mary's vocals; it's just that the material was so far below her status and back catalog of supreme hits and covers. it was like taking Queen Elizabeth and giving her a "slurpee" from Circle-K to drink at "tea-time".

Quote Originally Posted by Ramone Verona View Post
    To make you feel more comfy, I'll check my stack of 45's for the Velvelette's version of "Green River".
    Ouch - that hurt!

Ramone

I've not laughed like that for a long time. That was so funny. I can see you love living life on a knife edge!

Mary's first album was excellent but I accept that you needed to play it a few times to warm to it. But I did give it a chance and I got to really like it. I can actually name most of the tracks without looking it up too.

Am I really on my own here.......Captain James...throw me a lifeline! *smile*

I am uncomfortable about saying what I don't like when it comes to some artists..but if there's one song I really wish Mary didn't sing and that is Green River. I cannot get into that. Its far too much of a rock song........but it's very well received by all the fans [[except me, of course!).

I'm a bit of a romantic at heart [[that's cos I don't get it any other way!!!) so I like Mary singing the lushy ballads. Marv and Luke tend to find these videos of Mary singing stuff other than the Supremes' hits. So watch out for their posts

Hives and poison ivy......what a combination! HAHAHAHAHA
    I honestly feel it was just the song "Red hot" that was awful. It was far too monotonous. It reminded me of a fucking Silver Convention record. Her unreleased work for the second album [[Except Green Rvier) was so much better it made your head spin. but one song that WAS from the first album that really great was this [[and it should have been the single, NOT "Red Hot")

When that tambourine comes in in the second verse, it just lifts the whole thing into the stratosphere.

Jillfoster-Thank goodness for your support there. You've made me feel good too! [[LOL).

Now isn't that song cute. Well, I like it. I might prefer her "Come And Get These Memories" or "Davy Crockett" but it's still good. Mary does this really well.

Have you all been convinced yet?

Ramone Verona Guest
    I was trying to dance to it.
    I was told to stop.
    Maybe it was my dancing and not the song, eh?

Both...and if you were singing, that as well!

lol

Ramone Verona Guest
    Ouch - that hurt!
    You think that hurt.
    Imagine how we all felt when we learned Cal Street was to join the 70's Supremes but apparently Berry Gordy washed his hands with her.
    Or of her.
    That's one of those forgotten water-cooler stories which resurfaces from time to time.