[REMOVE ADS]

Northern Soul alive and well in Central Japan...

If you ever find yourself in Nagoya, check out the Tower Records in Sakae [[closest subway stop is Yaba-cho on the Meijo Line; take Exit 4 for Parco and Tower's on the 6th floor).

I just picked up Music City Story and Atlantic's 100 Soul Classics, and I found it interesting that my local Tower Records stocks almost all the Outta Sight releases [[I saw Dial 3 For Northern Soul, Groovesville USA, The Sound of Sidra, and five or six other titles).

Plenty of Motown, Hip-O Select and Rhino Handmade to boot, including the Japanese edition of Motown 50 and the new Rhino Handmade Percy Sledge box set.

Attachment 2756

Header for the Soul / R&B section [[which includes Lady Gaga...go figure)

Attachment 2755

Isley Brothers display

Attachment 2757

Atlantic Records display
    Last edited by vcq; 03-27-2011 at 08:11 AM.

WOW...that is so impressive!! I gotta say that the folks in Japan do it right! It sucks being into Northern soul here in the States...I don't have enough face-to-face contact with other collectors, nor are there any Northern gigs here in Cleveland [[though they've had 'em in Cincinnati!). But this pic is mindblowing, to say the least.

Best,

Mark

Well ..

Found this 2008 "Northern Soul Dancing" competition held in Osaka, Japan on You-Tube ..

Part One ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjiXW...feature=fvwrel

Part Two ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWN37G3KAvw

Roger

Thanks for posting the pictures, VCQ. That Tower Records store in Nagoya reminds me of the good old days in North America. I used to love going to Toronto and Chicago just to spend hours browsing in the big record stores. Nowadays I spend my music browsing hours on the Amazon, CD Universe, Collectors Choice, etc., web sites, and while I still have access to great soul and blues music reissues, somehow it's not as much fun as the brick and mortar stores were.