[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    You lost me when you compared her to Britney and Madonna. I like to see them sing these songs.
    And this is just a small example. You see I consider her one of the best.

https://youtu.be/BvrHY_5koHM

https://youtu.be/jyM9sRqR9Uk

https://youtu.be/CrtQs88JWyI

https://youtu.be/oWH2aFYB2c8

https://youtu.be/JMzUFwcuE4A
    All of them are quite different singers with a devoted fan base who feel that their singers are the best. technically, none of them possess what critics would consider the best voice. I wasn't comparing their voices, just that each had a unique voice which has captured superstardom. I love Diana Ross' voice but I can see where technically she would not be considered one of the best by critics. In fact, reviews stated that Jean Terrell was a much better singer if not quite so unique and others have stated that Florence Ballard had the best voice in the original Supremes and that once Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene joined the Supremes were never better technically and talentwise. It was not to say Miss Ross is not talented and very unique but in the parameters of critic's concensus of "the best" she may not be thought of in that way just as Cher,Madonna and Britney Spears are also not thought of in that way despite becoming superstars and having a voice that touched many more than so-called "best" voices.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    All of them are quite different singers with a devoted fan base who feel that their singers are the best. technically, none of them possess what critics would consider the best voice. I wasn't comparing their voices, just that each had a unique voice which has captured superstardom. I love Diana Ross' voice but I can see where technically she would not be considered one of the best by critics. In fact, reviews stated that Jean Terrell was a much better singer if not quite so unique and others have stated that Florence Ballard had the best voice in the original Supremes and that once Scherrie Payne and Susaye Greene joined the Supremes were never better technically and talentwise. It was not to say Miss Ross is not talented and very unique but in the parameters of critic's concensus of "the best" she may not be thought of in that way just as Cher,Madonna and Britney Spears are also not thought of in that way despite becoming superstars and having a voice that touched many more than so-called "best" voices.
    A "critic" has NEVER gotten me to every buy one record, one book, one movie ticket, concert ticket, one meal, or a vacation. A critic is just someone with an opinion. They are not the definitive authority on anything. I think the only people who follow critics either can't think for themselves or someone who needs to follow the crowds and trends. And isn't it interesting that male singers are judged for greatness by a different standard, the strength of their voices are NEVER mentioned when it comes to greatness, apparently only Diana Ross's voice is. I wonder if it's because of racism, sexism or pure jealous of her success.

Even Diana would agree that she's not the greatest singer - and she's said that numerous times - but she made it work. That's what is important.

SHE MADE IT WORK. And because of that, other singers who may not be as earth shattering as Whitney or Mariah could still shine because Diana showed them the way.

Instead of finding negativity, THINK POSITIVE. Diana would want us to be in that space.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Even Diana would agree that she's not the greatest singer - and she's said that numerous times - but she made it work. That's what is important.

SHE MADE IT WORK. And because of that, other singers who may not be as earth shattering as Whitney or Mariah could still shine because Diana showed them the way.

Instead of finding negativity, THINK POSITIVE. Diana would want us to be in that space.
    There's no such thing as "the greatest singer". I believe that a person can have a favorite singer or favorite singers but factually there is no such thing as the "greatest singer" because greatness is purely subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    A "critic" has NEVER gotten me to every buy one record, one book, one movie ticket, concert ticket, one meal, or a vacation. A critic is just someone with an opinion. They are not the definitive authority on anything. I think the only people who follow critics either can't think for themselves or someone who needs to follow the crowds and trends. And isn't it interesting that male singers are judged for greatness by a different standard, the strength of their voices are NEVER mentioned when it comes to greatness, apparently only Diana Ross's voice is. I wonder if it's because of racism, sexism or pure jealous of her success.
    No one has a definitive authority on opinion Satan, but there is such a thing as general consensus. It’s not definitive, but rather acts as a guide based on collective opinion by the majority. It most certainly does not stop people from thinking for themselves as you mention.
    The general consensus is that Diana does indeed have a thin voice, but possesses many other attributes that compensate for this weakness. I really can’t imagine such opinion is due to jealously of her success. That’s just silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    No one has a definitive authority on opinion Satan, but there is such a thing as general consensus. It’s not definitive, but rather acts as a guide based on collective opinion by the majority. It most certainly does not stop people from thinking for themselves as you mention.
    The general consensus is that Diana does indeed have a thin voice, but possesses many other attributes that compensate for this weakness. I really can’t imagine such opinion is due to jealously of her success. That’s just silly.
    There are plenty o critics who would not describe her voice as thin or weak. You don't reach DR's level or success or longevity with a thin or weak voice. To say otherwise is just silly.

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    You don't reach DR's level or success or longevity with a thin voice.
    Well obviously you can lol. Just Look at all that Diana has achieved.
    I would not describe her voice as weak as she could belt when she wanted to. It’s just that as critics often point out, her tone can sound rather thin at times. That is probably what that nasty writer was referencing before going on to say that it really didn’t matter as she has influenced so many other singers and is considered a superstar in the true sense of the word.
    Whatever, it certainly does not stop her from being my favourite female singer.