Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
but keep in mind some of our fav 70s material from them is hard to properly duplicate live. Stoned Love was certainly a highlight of their live shows but the live version pales drastically next to the glorious album version. Nathan Jones never sounded right live. And this one performance of Time To Break Down is not one of their best. the album track is stunning but it's also mostly a studio production. The girls sing of course but it's hardly the most complex or groundbreaking lyric or melody. it's the overall magic of the album production

Same with the disco hits. LYG, Sweet Dream, Driving, HE - none of the live versions some close to the studio. And even if they slowed them down to the proper tempos and all.

I heard Mary sing a damn good version Nathan a few years ago. It could have been a symphony concert. The part where she does the "hoo hoo" was especially haunting as it was exactly like the studio cut. I wish they ditched the show tunes and dressed more contemporary. I thought for a while they were going to a more rock orientated sound that suited me fine. I guess they were caught between the wants "older fans" while trying to attract newer fans. They had been at this for over a decade so they still had to please their original fan base.