[REMOVE ADS]

Jean Terrell - He An't Heavy He's my Brother

From a 1983 Concert:

Very timely Marv ! Perfect song of brotherhood in these uncertain times !!

And

exactly fifty years ago, the spring of 1970, The Hollies version was descending from its peak of #7 on Billboard's Hot 100. It was another of those longer versioned records breaking through for radio play around this time [[4:20).

For me , this song just becomes more poignant and meaningful [[ and beautiful!!), the more my life all too quickly advances. It's a long long road .....with many a turn , from which there is no return .....and we just don't know where ....
    For those who find the song already moving , if you don't know about its songwriter, Bob Russell, [[co-written with Bob Scott) , you'll find the lyrics all the more remarkable when you research him. [[ hint: this will be his last musical contribution)

So nice to learn this song has a special place in Jean Terrells heart.

Thanks Marv!
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-14-2020 at 04:24 PM.

You're welcome Boogie. This song means different things to different people. It is a great song and Jean Terrell knocks it out of the park!

Not a fav song of mine but Jean carries it well

These are the real Hollies with Alan Clarke on lead vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    These are the real Hollies with Alan Clarke on lead vocals.

Was that band in the other video not really the Hollies?

here we have the wonderful Jean....who improvised and put her own spin on the older hits of the Supremes, and after awhile supposedly didn't like performing them and went very far from the melody at times....and video of the later day Hollies with a replacement lead singer [[in the first video) who sticks to the original arrangement and is seemingly proud and honored to be a member of a well established group

Susaye Greene also did a great job with the song. It is a nice song, but I always wondered why the Supremes kept it in their setlist for so long.

Within the same year, fifty years ago, the song would be back on the charts with Neil Diamond's version peaking at #20:

Jean's performance of this with the Supremes at the Apollo in 73 I think, she tore it up. The performance in the video isn't doing it for me. It's pleasant but doesn't wear me out like her Apollo performance.