[REMOVE ADS]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New Vaulted unreleased Gloria Williamson acetate-Version of "I've Got A Right To Cry"

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1334
Size:  21.1 KB
    It is the same song that we thought The Velvelettes recorded, that I discovered in Motown's Vaults in 1976, and was sent to The UK in 1980, which was originally labeled as being by The Andantes [[who, I had believed, sang in the background along with the non-lead Velvelettes. This version was recorded in mid 1963. But, I thought she left Motown when she quit The Vandellas, and Motown put The Vandellas on Melody Records, as "The Vells", because Gloria's leads sounded very different from Martha, and they knew that Gloria would not be with the group anymore, and people would expect to hear only Martha. She left the group in late 1962, if I remember correctly. I wonder if the story we heard as to why she left the group [[to get married and have family) was not the real reason, and she left because she and Martha had differences, and she was still with Motown into mid 1963, recording solo, backed by The Andantes?

I don't like it much. It's WAY, WAY below her normal quality level of what she recorded before, as lead of The Del-Fi's for Fred Brown and Joe Hunter's Kable and Mickay's Records, and the Brown/Hunter recordings that ended up on Billy Davis' Check-Mate Records, as well as her leads on The Vells record and on the couple of Vandellas' unreleased Motown cuts. I liked her voice and singing every bit as much as Martha's. But, on THIS cut, she sounds strained, and not concentrating on doing a good job, as if something else was on her mind. I have no problem with Quality Control rejecting this one when it was considered for release. However, upon hearing it several times, I think the version I found was also Gloria, but a different vocal take, and a different mix of background tracks. The unique voice tones seem to be the same for both singers. The other vocal was smoother and warmer. But, even so, it also failed to get pressed up during 1963.
    Last edited by robb_k; 04-11-2020 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Tried to add the missing letter "T" in the title word, "vaulted"