[REMOVE ADS]

Unreleased Supremes Live Performances

I just found this article in the Daily News [[NY) in 1965:

Name:  1965 Oct 10 - Daily News - NY.JPG
Views: 439
Size:  21.7 KB

I didn't know the this show was recorded and that it was considered for release. And for sure it's one I would love to see to be released!

I'm sure most of the bigger acts were probably recorded live several times. At the time of this article, the Copa album had not even been released yet. Considering this concert took place only three months after the Copa engagement, I doubt there was much difference in their set list, other than adding I HEAR A SYMPHONY.
    Last edited by reese; 04-11-2020 at 03:00 PM.

There are probably tons of recordings of live performances. I bet many never even went into the vaults. There is stuff still in Detroit that no one has heard and in the collections of locals.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I'm sure most of the bigger acts were probably recorded live several times. At the time of this article, the Copa album had not even been released yet. Considering this concert took place only three months after the Copa engagement, I doubt there was much difference in their set list, other than adding I HEAR A SYMPHONY.
    I wonder if the sound at the Philharmonic would be better compared to the Copa?
    Last edited by detmotownguy; 04-12-2020 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Special

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    I wonder if the sound at the Philharmonic would be better compared to the Copa?
    Oh yes much better. I've been to both facilities. Philharmonic Hall was built as a concert hall and is much, much larger than the Copa, which was a small nightclub. Noise from the audience could easy be picked up on a recording.

I seem to remember reading that the acoustics at the hall were better suited to a large orchestra then a pop band so the recording was not so great. Would explain why it was never used.

I used to have the setlist for this show. It was the same songs mostly from the Copa but I remember it was in a different order, I believe the opening number was "Come See About Me".

i would guess that if motown had recorded it and was then trying to decide between this and Copa, then i think they made the right decision. The Copacabana epitomized exactly what Gordy wanted to do. it was the entree to Vegas and other big-time clubs. So hyping up that engagement would further push the girls forward.

The Lincoln Center gig was very prestigious. but i don't know that it would have registered quite as well with club owners.

of course just talking about varying degrees here. had the girls NOT played the copa, i'm sure we would have received a LC live set. assuming it actually was recorded.

Even if it was recorded, the accoustics could have been a nightmare for taping. The Copa had at least produced a few albums prior. and so there was at least some set up there. Symphony orchestras rarely record their material in a giant, cavernous hall because there's too much echo. They use symphonic recording studios that are properly miked.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    There is stuff still in Detroit that no one has heard and in the collections of locals.
    I've always wondered about that.

My hope is that there is something more of the live pre-"Where Did Our Love Go" Supremes that surfaces, either officially through Motown or from someone's personal collection. I hope what we got on the Meet and Where expandeds [[the Apollo and Battle sets) aren't all that there is. While it's not pre-"Where", more like pre-"Baby Love", there are apparently some alternates of the 20 Grand show that could show up on a future release.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I've always wondered about that.

My hope is that there is something more of the live pre-"Where Did Our Love Go" Supremes that surfaces, either officially through Motown or from someone's personal collection. I hope what we got on the Meet and Where expandeds [[the Apollo and Battle sets) aren't all that there is. While it's not pre-"Where", more like pre-"Baby Love", there are apparently some alternates of the 20 Grand show that could show up on a future release.
    I used to have an alternate take of the 20 grand show on tape and wish I still had it because it was so much better than the one that was released on the Where Did Our Love Go expanded edition. The audience was much more enthusiastic which I felt had the girls getting more into the performance. At the end of "Let Me Go The Right Way", Diana and Flo really bring the song down with their ad-libs. That high operatic voice that Mary always talks about with Flo is what she does at the end of "Let Me Go" which was lighting a fire under Diana's butt because she in turn got more grittier with her ad-libs. Man I wish I transferred that show to CD when I had the chance. Unfortunately the guy who made me a copy passed away years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    I used to have an alternate take of the 20 grand show on tape and wish I still had it because it was so much better than the one that was released on the Where Did Our Love Go expanded edition. The audience was much more enthusiastic which I felt had the girls getting more into the performance. At the end of "Let Me Go The Right Way", Diana and Flo really bring the song down with their ad-libs. That high operatic voice that Mary always talks about with Flo is what she does at the end of "Let Me Go" which was lighting a fire under Diana's butt because she in turn got more grittier with her ad-libs. Man I wish I transferred that show to CD when I had the chance. Unfortunately the guy who made me a copy passed away years ago.
    Wow! I sure would love to hear that. Was the guy David Babcock, aka DavidlovesDiana?

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i would guess that if motown had recorded it and was then trying to decide between this and Copa, then i think they made the right decision. The Copacabana epitomized exactly what Gordy wanted to do. it was the entree to Vegas and other big-time clubs. So hyping up that engagement would further push the girls forward.

The Lincoln Center gig was very prestigious. but i don't know that it would have registered quite as well with club owners.
    That it is a very good theory. Considering that recording at the Copa wasn't ideal either, with Diana having to re-record all of her leads in the studio, the work that went into getting a finished album shows how important the engagement was to their future development.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    i have that too. i need to go through my box with the various bootleg cassettes. i already had most transferred to digital - Supremes in manchester in 75, MSS at Bachelor 3 in 76. but i think i missed the DMF ones. so they're still just on cassette