[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson - The Late Show with Joan Rivers [[1986)

This was one of my favorite television appearances of Mary's in the 80s.

Joan Rivers was a professional agitator! LOL!

Great interview. Love Joan! Refreshing. Didn’t Mary open for her sometimes?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Great interview. Love Joan! Refreshing. Didn’t Mary open for her sometimes?
    Yes After this show Mary and Joan worked together several times.

I love the “fat chance” remark by Joan at the end. I’m pleased that Mary had the good grace to laugh lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I love the “fat chance” remark by Joan at the end. I’m pleased that Mary had the good grace to laugh lol.
    They got along extremely well. Joan had Mary on her daytime show as well.

Joan has passed on, so I won't be as brutal as I may have otherwise been. The bodyshaming of Diana was ridiculous. But at least she went after another grown woman unlike when she went after the cast of the Facts Of Life. They talked about how all of them dealt with horrible body images due to people making their weight an issue, and Joan was one of those people. I'm surprised nobody ever popped her in the mouth.

Mary's account here of what happened at Motown 25 is very different from her books. It's like she consolidated the supposed shove during the Supremes reunion and the "it's been taken care of" hand push during the finale. And if she thought Diana wasn't directing that at Mary specifically, she didn't say that in her books.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Joan has passed on, so I won't be as brutal as I may have otherwise been. The bodyshaming of Diana was ridiculous. But at least she went after another grown woman unlike when she went after the cast of the Facts Of Life. They talked about how all of them dealt with horrible body images due to people making their weight an issue, and Joan was one of those people. I'm surprised nobody ever popped her in the mouth.

Mary's account here of what happened at Motown 25 is very different from her books. It's like she consolidated the supposed shove during the Supremes reunion and the "it's been taken care of" hand push during the finale. And if she thought Diana wasn't directing that at Mary specifically, she didn't say that in her books.
    I think she was trying to be diplomatic, but Joan kept dragging the dirt in.

Exactly Marv. Diana herself even kidded about her weight/skinniness.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Exactly Marv. Diana herself even kidded about her weight/skinniness.
    If you seen Mary on all of these shows over the years, you will see that she is very good at building rapport with people. Mrs. Esther Gordy Edwards use to say "We never have to worry about Mary....she always knows what to say in interviews". She was right. Only a very few times have I seen Mary get flustered in an interview over a question. She also does not have a "pre-approved" subject list for the host.