Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
Okay, I realize this does not count as Motown memorabilia, per se, but I had to post it anyway!

I think it was an earlier thread some folks were discussing the "101 Strings Perform Supremes" album. I have that one also, but I think this one is a rare one as it was produced several years later, in the waning years of the "elevator music" genre.

I think we tend to laugh these items off as sheer exploitation, which they likely were. But don't think these producers were dummies. Notice how they found a model who resembled [[somewhat) Gladys Knight for the cover. In addition, the "101 Strings" which was never actually a working orchestra, always loaded their albums with originals, much like Berry Gordy included as many Motown published songs on Motown albums. But this album seems to take the prize in that regard. There's only three Stevie Wonder songs, and only two Gladys Knight songs. In addition we have those immortal well known hits such as "King of the Day," "Little Miss Sassie" [[!), "Hooked on You," "Baby Let's Smooth it Over," and "It's So Exciting."

These folks were mercenaries!

Name:  101 Strings.jpg
Views: 812
Size:  84.7 KB
Sometimes albums like this is where you find unexpected gold. I never paid attention to these budget albums and elevator music LPs, but somehow, recently I got into collecting albums from a record company called Crown Records, in particular, the Tijuana Brass knock off group, The Mexicali Brass. Like you wrote about 101 Strings, The Mexicali Brass was just a studio band that churned out album after album. I'm finding that while I was never really a bit Herb Alpert & TJB fan, I do like these knock offs a lot because they're fun to listen to.

There is a tune on one of the albums, a cover of "I Can't Stop Loving You", that sounds like someone was paying critical attention to what Motown was doing circa 1965. The arrangement sounds very much like an HDH production with a mad, Earl Van Dyke-like pounding piano figure being doubled by a marimba. The drummer is just pounding the heck out of his drum, a furious 4/4 beat and the kick drum is working overtime, similar to the drum work on the Four Tops' "Something About You." So you got a Motown beat layered over with Mariachi band-styled brass. I was pleasantly surprised at how good it is. I'll have to pick up some of these 101 Strings albums sometime.