Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
Actually, there was a way to have records repeat. Many record players and stereos, unlike today's turntables, had a long spindle. This allowed records to be stacked [[maybe up to 6, in some cases) and to drop and play when the previous record was done. This could be done for both albums and 45s.

There was a balance [[?) arm that was placed on the waiting records to hold them steady on the spindle prior to being dropped. If there were no records waiting to be dropped the turntable would stop after a record played when the tone arm returned to its' resting spot.

My record player would repeat a record non-stop if I left the balance arm "open" to the right of the turntable, over to where the tone arm rested when not playing a record, rather than "closed" at the spindle. I did this frequently with a new 45 purchase. To this day my mother hates "Grapevine" by Gladys because I let it play non-stop for an hour with my bedroom door open while I roamed around the house.

Not all record players or stereos had this capability.
From what I remember of my own turntables I can clearly visualize what you are saying. Thanks for the input.